Does Anybody Do This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anybody Do This?

Does anybody have paperwork/applications available for state assistance for child care available for parents when enrolling in their daycare?

I keep applications available because although the state will pay retroactive, they will not pay until the date they receive the paperwork in their office and I try to help the parents expedite this process. I used to wait for the state to kick in...not any more and thank goodness for that.

I have a family who started 2/11/13 and gave the mom all the forms/applications to fill out for state assistance. I just now got a call from the caseworker saying the paperwork had not been turned in until 4/1/13...and it was incomplete.

Does anybody have the parents fill out the paperwork at enrollment and they themselves (the provider) sends it to the state office themselves? I'm debating whether to do that or not. Actually I'm debating as to whether I even want to accept state payments any more or not.

This parent has paid out hundreds of dollars in daycare costs that they probably wouldn't have had to and if I had not insisted she pay in advance I would never have received my payment. I'm just a little p***** right now.

This dcm is sooooooo irresponsible!!!!

Nope, because I don't take state assistance. Private pay only.

I never thought to keep them on hand when I did though, great idea!

Comment

No, because the parent application form here has a unique bar code on it for each parent.

They have to get it from their case worker and take it to the provider. It has their name and information already printed on it.

This not only helps the state keep track of the applications, but it means that providers can tell if an app is legitimate or not.

In years gone by, parents would grab a handful of applications at the state office and then go from provider to provider with a sob story and hope the provider would fill out the app and take the kids while waiting for funds. Of course funds would never come as the parents often weren't even eligible in the first place.

Now we must have the right form showing they are already in the system.

The state then pays in advance once the parent is approved. If parents need care straight away, they must pay until the state money kicks in.

Comment

I have and hand out applications but I never accept a client on state aid until I have a notice of action/communication from the program telling me that they are approved, for the very reasons that you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc20021 View Post
          Does anybody have paperwork/applications available for state assistance for child care available for parents when enrolling in their daycare?
          Applying and enrolling in the child care assistance program is between the state and the recipient. I would NEVER supply applications to parents simply because I feel that kind of "enables" them. I mean if they want/need assistance, they can certainly apply any time they want and it shouldn't have any thing to do with me.

I keep applications available because although the state will pay retroactive, they will not pay until the date they receive the paperwork in their office and I try to help the parents expedite this process. I used to wait for the state to kick in...not any more and thank goodness for that.
          Our state is similar in that they also pay retroactive back to the date in which the applicant turns in the paperwork.

I NEVER wait until the state kicks in as again, I feel that is taking on responsibilities that don't belong to me.

ALL parents are required to pay IN ADVANCE. IF and WHEN the state starts to pay for their child care, I will refund any amounts that are paid on their behalf. But I still require payments IN FULL from the parent until I actually receive the service agreement in the mail stating exactly when and how much the state is covering per child.

Does anybody have the parents fill out the paperwork at enrollment and they themselves (the provider) sends it to the state office themselves? I'm debating whether to do that or not. Actually I'm debating as to whether I even want to accept state payments any more or not.
          I don't think I would feel comfortable with turning in the application myself either as the application may contain personal, private or confidential information that I don't want or need to know.

This parent has paid out hundreds of dollars in daycare costs that they probably wouldn't have had to and if I had not insisted she pay in advance I would never have received my payment. I'm just a little p***** right now.
          THIS is exactly why I don't do anything you mentioned above. Why should YOU have to be upset, angry or disappointed? You were simply trying to help but in all honestly, IME when you enable someone, it only encourages them to be even more irresponsible.

I am sorry you are in this position. I understand wanting to help, streamline and assist parents when trying to cover their daycare expenses but like my grandma used to say "Never borrow anyone else's troubles."

Let the assistance process be the parents issue and NOT yours. It will save you tons of stress in the future.

:hug: for trying though.

Comment

I have a family who started 2/11/13 and gave the mom all the forms/applications to fill out for state assistance. I just now got a call from the caseworker saying the paperwork had not been turned in until 4/1/13...and it was incomplete.

What type of assistance are you talking about? Idk if programs vary from state to state and county to county but here where I'm located the recipients worker will first contact you if you have openings. Once the parent is interested in your daycare you then get in contact with the worker and he/she will go over the rates if you accept they send you the notice of action.
            I personally would never accept anyone without confirming with their worker that it is ok to start services.

Comment

Working...
            X