Frustrated With Getting New Clients!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated With Getting New Clients!

I am license exempt- I can watch up to 3 kids other than my own (I have a 3 yr, 2 yr, and 9 month old). I had my only FT DCG leave on March 1st, which was fine since I had been holding a FT spot for my DCM who sent her 4 yr old boy to me once a week and had her new baby in January. Since he only came once a week, there would be weeks where he wouldn't come at all, due to family being in town or what not, and then once day the DCD came to drop off a check and told me DCM decided to keep the kids home with her- right before she was supposed to start care for the FT newborn! So upset, but what could I do? Anyways, I've changed my policy to be that I would hold a spot for no more than 4 weeks unpaid, then would charge 1/2 rate until they started.
    It seems that almost EVERY call I get is for care X months in the future, whether it be an expectant mom or a teacher who wants summer/ teacher days off unpaid and so forth! (My own former daycares charged us and I have a "pay for your spot, not days used" policy myself) Right now I have my 1 PT boy whom I watch from 10:15-11:45 M-Th, then the occasional 3:45-4:15 (about 2X a week). I have been picking up sub teaching jobs on M and Tu when my DH is home and can stay with our girls and my DCB, but I am freaking out that summer is fast approaching and I cannot get anyone in I had a PT girl set to start yesterday, until the mom got my contract and questioned my no fever-reducing medication policy and that I require PU within 30 minutes if a child is sick while here. Then I never heard from them again! VERY frustrated

My first year in business in WI I had a family of 3 teacher's kids, including 1 infant. I held their spaces all summer without pay, then their first week back in the fall they told me they hadn't figured out transportation so they had to find different child care. I was SO mad! Now I don't hold spots for more than 2 weeks without pay anymore.

Comment

I never assume that a child will start based solely on the parent's word. I don't consider a spot saved until I have the 2 week deposit and first week of child care paid in full. The 2 week deposit is non-refundable. If they need child care more than 2 weeks out then they are required to pay 50% of the weekly rate until they start but I would need a concrete start date (in writing).

If they need child care more than 2 weeks out I prefer to keep looking for someone to fill my opening unless they give the deposit, 1st week of care and pay the 50% until they start. I don't ever save a spot without money in my hand.

Comment

I do a 4 week termination notice and 2 week deposit upfront to go toward their last 2 weeks. So with the family that left I at least got a month's worth of payment (the DCD tried to argue that they should not have to pay the other 2 weeks beside the deposit they paid in October since technically they newborn never officially started, but I held firm and said that I had held the spot since October and they need to be fair and pay that whole 4 week) In the end they actually only paid 2 weeks since I already had their last 2 weeks as the deposit, KWIM? But it seems like 4 out of 5 calls is for a start date of 3+ months out! I even changed my Craigslist ass titles to say "Immediate" Openings. I'm thinking of flat out stating that I am looking to secure spots to begin this month, just to try to weed out all these calls for people looking for care in Aug, Sept, and November- I just don't know how to put it where it doesn't read too harshly or seem rude and unfriendly :confused:

Comment

My observation over the last 6yrs of doing Childcare is that the spring time tends to be a slow time..most people (like you said) for whatever reasons like to wait until the fall to start care. I wouldn't put an ad out trying to "weed" out prospective clients. I would simply tell them that as of now you have 1 space available, you may or may not have space in the fall. Then make sure to get all their contact info. That way, in the case you aren't able to fill your space immediately, you can start calling these parents in the fall.

Comment

Have you done any other form of advertisement, perhaps that might help. I have people call with the same request for future care. I talk with them but let them know there's a chance I might be full. I feel like people on Craigslist are "window shopping" , they want to just see what you have to offer without any commitment.

Comment

Working...
            X