No announcement yet.

Age Limit For Wearing Diapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My middle son was a little over four by the time he was potty trained. It scared me, I really thought he may end up not being able to attend school! He'd pee on the potty fine, but refused to poop anywhere but his diaper. However, at that point, if he pooped, I'd take off the diaper, flush the poop, and have him wipe himself. He finally figured out that it was easier to wipe if he just went on the potty in the first place.

How verbal is this child? Can you talk to him about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
      My policy is that I will not accept a new child into my care over 3 and not potty trained. It's more of a personal issue than anything else, but I find diapering to be very awkward with an older child that I haven't had since infancy. I also taught preschool for many years where kids had to been potty trained to attend and we were not even to be in the bathroom with them (which is probably the cause of my issue:: )

I also will say that by 3 1/2 a child does need to be potty trained or training here - even if I've had them since birth, unless there is a medical reason *that is being worked on* I had a very uncomfortable situation with a dc boy a few years ago so that's when I made this policy.

I know some kids pt late - my own dd refused to poop on the toilet until she was 4 so while I am sympathetic, I just can't accomodate it.
      I also worked at a half day preschool program...even our two's had to be potty trained. This was 15 yrs. ago. The norm sure has changed! I know of a current 3's 1/2 day program now and they must be trained to attend.

Comment

I personally don't think it's a huge issue but it's definitely your right to write it in to your policies not to accept an unpotty trained child over the age of ____.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
          Wow! You would think the parents would be more concerned, especially since he's off to school in the Fall! What do they say they are planning on doing when he has accidents in class?
          I don't agree with how they handled the whole potty training from the start so although I'm being blunt, I really don't care what happens. Hopefully he will just not have any like they say he doesn't at home. I just don't get how he can sit in it and not care here but at home he goes on the potty. Who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by WImom View Post
            I don't agree with how they handled the whole potty training from the start so although I'm being blunt, I really don't care what happens. Hopefully he will just not have any like they say he doesn't at home. I just don't get how he can sit in it and not care here but at home he goes on the potty. Who knows!

I am usually right on track with Cedar but the above bolded I'd make the exception.

Pushing training before a child is ready or doing so inconsistently can doom kids to struggle with every aspect of training, and I won't be a party to that ridiculousness.

I have a kiddo right now who just hit 3 1/2. He showed zero interest since the day he started but mom and dad were on board with no pressure, just occasional gentle encouragement and otherwise waiting it out. He can be extremely oppositional with them so I was relieved they didn't turn training into WWIII or he is one that I'm sure would have ended up in diapers until he was 10. Three weeks ago he asked for unders for the first time over a weekend. He had one dribble accident here the first day back in care but otherwise has stayed completely dry since, pee, poo and naptime included.

Was it a pain? Yes. But I'm willing to stay the course with most any child as long as their parents don't set them up for failure from the get go. If they do I would definitely relieve myself of any responsibility over that (literal) mess!

Comment

Originally posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
              My middle son was a little over four by the time he was potty trained. It scared me, I really thought he may end up not being able to attend school! He'd pee on the potty fine, but refused to poop anywhere but his diaper. However, at that point, if he pooped, I'd take off the diaper, flush the poop, and have him wipe himself. He finally figured out that it was easier to wipe if he just went on the potty in the first place.

How verbal is this child? Can you talk to him about it?
              This was my oldest son, too. He was just a little over 4 when he finally was done with diapers. He isn't delayed at all, and was actually early in every other milestone (talked at 6 months, crawled at 6 months, walked at 9 months, started reading at 2 years). He just wasn't ready. One day, he woke up and was just ready to go.

Comment

3 after a child turns 3 i will not change diapers. Luckly where i live most kids are potty trained a 2 1/2. 4 is a absolute no no for me. Some 4 years olds are huge i couldn't even imagine picking that kid up to change him. I'm surprised he even still fits diapers.

Comment

I am so ready for all of my 2 yr old boys to be potty trained. Waiting for a little nicer weather so we can spend he day outside in pants no underwear and a couple of potty chairs
                  3 they must be. That said I once took one from head start because she was three and not potty trained.... She never had an accident for me. Naptime was the only time mom was afraid she might pee so requested a diaper so she wouldn't soil her bed... After two dry weeks we stopped the diaper. She was the best kid...

Comment

Working...
                  X