How Did Your First Day Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Did Your First Day Go

How many kids did you have on the first day you ever opened? Were you nervous? What did you do all day? Is your schedule still the same and would you say it was a good day overall?

I started with 3 infants which I didn't know was illegal at the time. I was all about survival. It was exhausting. Luckily it was the summer time, so we spent a lot of time outside on blankets. I still have those 3 kids (now over 2 so now legal, whew!) and a LOT has changed. I'm not sure if I'd ever take an infant again!

We just started a scheduled routine a month or two ago (thanks to this forum) and it has changed my daily life! It's a lot more work to stick to it, but by the end of the day I'm a lot less frazzled. And the kids love it! Occasionally I'll be having "one of those days" and we'll stray from the routine (or chuck it all together.) It's then I realize how crucial our routine is, especially to the kids. On those days, I'll hear all day "When are we going to dance? What's our letter today? Howcome the table isn't set up?" allll dayyy long.

So I guess what I'm saying is THANKS! In the last 2 years I have come a long way. If I had to go back to the way things were, I'd quit! Now, I am finally looking at this like a career, not a supplemental income job. happyface

Comment

Oh, first day... Actually mine was easy. I started with just one kid then slowly added more in the weeks to follow. I wasn't nervous at all to start. I was very nervous for my interviews though. I was worried I wouldn't appeal to everyone. Now I've realized I don't WANT to appeal to everyone. I am NOT for everyone and it's better for everyone involved to know that. :: I've learned lots of lessons along the way - best way to build a backbone!

I began very structured with very specific times for everything and then I got my first infant and that schedule went out the window! We still have a pretty structured day, but I'm flexible. I'm quite a bit more child lead with a basic theme for each day. Mealtimes and naptimes are definitely at a set time, everything else is flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by just_peachy View Post
        I started with 3 infants which I didn't know was illegal at the time. I was all about survival. It was exhausting. Luckily it was the summer time, so we spent a lot of time outside on blankets. I still have those 3 kids (now over 2 so now legal, whew!) and a LOT has changed. I'm not sure if I'd ever take an infant again!

We just started a scheduled routine a month or two ago (thanks to this forum) and it has changed my daily life! It's a lot more work to stick to it, but by the end of the day I'm a lot less frazzled. And the kids love it! Occasionally I'll be having "one of those days" and we'll stray from the routine (or chuck it all together.) It's then I realize how crucial our routine is, especially to the kids. On those days, I'll hear all day "When are we going to dance? What's our letter today? Howcome the table isn't set up?" allll dayyy long.

So I guess what I'm saying is THANKS! In the last 2 years I have come a long way. If I had to go back to the way things were, I'd quit! Now, I am finally looking at this like a career, not a supplemental income job. happyface
        Wow you started with 3 babies!

Comment

I just opened in Jan. and this is my third week with children. My first day I had three kids, a 6 mo., 7mo, and 2 1/2 year old. The day went great! I thought I would be super nervous, but low and behold I wasn't nervous at all! Same with interviews! Now I have a 18 mo. that started last week, a few days were very stressful, but I think it's all about getting some sort of routine going with the kids; not a schedule per say, but you'll find out what works and what doesn't. My schedule changed a little. I do mostly play based curriculum and I do have one circle time in the morning to do "teacher' directed stuff with a weekly theme, but I soon realized my time was too long. Now I just go with the flow. Now tomorrow I have another 18 month old starting....let's see what the day holds tomorrow!

Comment

I stared a few months ago with two recently turned 2yr olds and 1 yr old...turned 1 the week he started.

It went good. Now I have added a 3 mo old and can't take anymore till I am licensed.

My schedule is about the same as when I started except it is harder with a tiny baby!

I was not nervous but I did FCC years ago for 10 years. At that time I was full the first day!

Comment

Originally posted by just_peachy View Post

Care to share your schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
                I just opened in Jan. and this is my third week with children. My first day I had three kids, a 6 mo., 7mo, and 2 1/2 year old. The day went great! I thought I would be super nervous, but low and behold I wasn't nervous at all! Same with interviews! Now I have a 18 mo. that started last week, a few days were very stressful, but I think it's all about getting some sort of routine going with the kids; not a schedule per say, but you'll find out what works and what doesn't. My schedule changed a little. I do mostly play based curriculum and I do have one circle time in the morning to do "teacher' directed stuff with a weekly theme, but I soon realized my time was too long. Now I just go with the flow. Now tomorrow I have another 18 month old starting....let's see what the day holds tomorrow!
                Wow. How many are you allowed to have? I'm jealous! We can only have 2 under 2

Comment

Originally posted by LaLa1923 View Post
                  I think here in Michigan it is 4 under 30 months, and only 2 of those 4 can be 18 months or younger ... or maybe it's younger than 18 months?

I am jealous of all of your first day stories ... can't wait to share mine!

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
                    I'm with Lala on this one.... Wow. That's a lot of little ones! Although, I am allowed three kids under 2 as long as one of them is walking. I'm assuming it's because in an emergency you can carry one kid in each arm and still get everyone out safely if they are able to walk on their own.

Sounds like you've done really well for your first month! Congrats! happyface

Comment

I started with two children and since I was going from a class of 22 kids to TWO....I was bored out of my mind! LOL! It took adjusting to me having to do my own schedule. How did I go to the bathroom (in the center I had to have someone there!) It was a lot of adjusting. And learning along the way. But I fell in love with being my own boss and never looked back!

Comment

Originally posted by LaLa1923 View Post
                        I can have 6. 4 can be 30 months or younger and 2 of the four can only be 18 months and under. It is a lot of young ones, but I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by mamac View Post
                          I'm with Lala on this one.... Wow. That's a lot of little ones! Although, I am allowed three kids under 2 as long as one of them is walking. I'm assuming it's because in an emergency you can carry one kid in each arm and still get everyone out safely if they are able to walk on their own.

Sounds like you've done really well for your first month! Congrats! happyface
                          Thanks! It is af lot of little ones, but it's not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MsLaura529 View Post
                            I think here in Michigan it is 4 under 30 months, and only 2 of those 4 can be 18 months or younger ... or maybe it's younger than 18 months?

I am jealous of all of your first day stories ... can't wait to share mine!
                            It is 4 under 30 months and 2 of the 4 can be 18 months or younger. It's to the day too, not a day under.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsnj View Post
                              I started with two children and since I was going from a class of 22 kids to TWO....I was bored out of my mind! LOL! It took adjusting to me having to do my own schedule. How did I go to the bathroom (in the center I had to have someone there!) It was a lot of adjusting. And learning along the way. But I fell in love with being my own boss and never looked back!
                              That is one of my fears that i will be so bored .

Comment

Working...
                              X