No Out Door Time Because............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Out Door Time Because............

How do you explain to parents that we ALL could not go play outside because little suzzy has sparkly fashion boots, not real winter boots and her feet will get cold and wet.

These parents are expecting me to take their littles outside when its nice, but what do you do about the kids with out proper outerwear??

I have asked and asked for parents to bring proper wear, but they dont.

This must be so frustrating for you! Is there anyway for you to take everyone outside anyway and keep little Suzy on a shoveled porch or something?

Comment

I hit garage sales and pick up cheap clothes and shoes. I got tired of asking and asking for things. It just isn't worth it to me. Around here, it's easy to find clothes for a quarter and shoes for 50¢. It just gives me more freedom and one less thing to worry about. I have accumulated a range of sizes of clothes, coats, and shoes and can meet just about any need. I'm a little weak on toddler boy clothes, but it will be ok.

Comment

I have had this problem, and I usually just tell the parents, collectively, that we are a group and if everyone isn't dressed and prepared, then no one can go out.

Comment

I get the same thing. I either let the child stand by me on the cement or I let the child go and do what they want and when the parent gets mad because their pants are wet or their shoes are soiled I remind them that it is their choice not to send the appropriate item.

Comment

This might be a little harsh but I would let them go out anyway and either let Susie ruin the boots or have her sit out and do a sitting activity. Like bring a coloring book out for her to do.

Then tell her parents either: oh, susie got her boots all wet today. She needs to bring the proper boots so we don't ruin her pretty ones

Or

Oh Susie had to sit out today while the other children played outside because she wasn't wearing the proper boots. I was sad for her that she couldn't participate.

Either way, chances are they will send the proper attire from now on.

Comment

This drives me nuts too. One DCG has the fanciest freakin' clothes, and the dad for whatever reason always dresses her in white when she comes over. I finally had to tell them that PLAY CLOTHES are more appropriate here, but she still sends her not-even-2 year old in crazy knee high boots! Srsly, the fashionista attitude she's instilling in her daughter is going to come back and bite her...

Another one of my DCGs always gets barkdust in her sparkly princess shoes she wears all the time.

I told her to help me to remind her mom that she needs play shoes for the park and bark dust. Her mom texted me this convo:

"DCG: Mom, I need shoes for dog barf.
              DCM: You need shoes for what??
              DCG: Kelsey says I need shoes to walk in the barf.
              DCM:...
              DCG: You know, the barf dust
              DCM: OOOH you mean bark dust?"

:: That's what I get for expecting a 3 year old to deliver a message.

P.S. I think bark dust may be a regional term. What do you guys call it?

Comment

I've had a dad take things home, not knowing they have a set there and a set here. I didn't see them take it and mom didn't know either, so they didn't make it back the next day. I didn't think to look for them because they should've never left. I had dcg just stay on the driveway and she informed mom when she was picked up that she couldn't go in the yard. That was the last time dad has ever brought anything home. By the time I realized dcg didn't have snowpants, it would've been too late to have them dropped off or her picked up and still get outside time. So I just did what our schools do. Don't have pants or boots, you stay on the sidewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by CedarCreek View Post
                  This might be a little harsh but I would let them go out anyway and either let Susie ruin the boots or have her sit out and do a sitting activity. Like bring a coloring book out for her to do.

Then tell her parents either: oh, susie got her boots all wet today. She needs to bring the proper boots so we don't ruin her pretty ones

Or

Oh Susie had to sit out today while the other children played outside because she wasn't wearing the proper boots. I was sad for her that she couldn't participate.

Oh I did. They were mad that her pretty boots were soaked, and her socks and jeans,

They just dont get it. My husband and I used to get used items but he feels that its not OUR job to make sure their kids are properly clothed.

Comment

Originally posted by Evansmom View Post
                    This must be so frustrating for you! Is there anyway for you to take everyone outside anyway and keep little Suzy on a shoveled porch or something?
                    oh I could if I wanna listen to screaming.

Comment

Originally posted by just_peachy View Post
                      This drives me nuts too. One DCG has the fanciest freakin' clothes, and the dad for whatever reason always dresses her in white when she comes over. I finally had to tell them that PLAY CLOTHES are more appropriate here, but she still sends her not-even-2 year old in crazy knee high boots! Srsly, the fashionista attitude she's instilling in her daughter is going to come back and bite her...

Another one of my DCGs always gets barkdust in her sparkly princess shoes she wears all the time.

I told her to help me to remind her mom that she needs play shoes for the park and bark dust. Her mom texted me this convo:

"DCG: Mom, I need shoes for dog barf.
                      DCM: You need shoes for what??
                      DCG: Kelsey says I need shoes to walk in the barf.
                      DCM:...
                      DCG: You know, the barf dust
                      DCM: OOOH you mean bark dust?"

:: That's what I get for expecting a 3 year old to deliver a message.

P.S. I think bark dust may be a regional term. What do you guys call it?
                      That's hilarious! ::

I think "bark dust" might be "mulch" or "rubber mulch"

Comment

Originally posted by mrsp'slilpeeps View Post
                        Oh I did. They were mad that her pretty boots were soaked, and her socks and jeans,

They just dont get it. My husband and I used to get used items but he feels that its not OUR job to make sure their kids are properly clothed.
                        Good for you!

I agree with your husband, its not your job!

Comment

Originally posted by CedarCreek View Post

Or

I do both of these things sometimes but what I do most of the time is either deny parent at drop off if I see the child does not have the appropriate winter gear or I will call the parents when the rest of us are getting ready to go out and let them know they can either bring the child the required winter gear or they can come pick up. BOTH of those last options require immediate action.

I also make it pretty clear upon enrollment that we go outside everyday and if anything gets ruined or dirty, that is on them not me.

Play is sometimes messy and messy is fun and that is the point!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsp'slilpeeps View Post

They were mad at you? Wow they have alot of nerve. Tell them that it's not fair to all of the other kids to have them stay inside because they chose not to bring the needed items. You could say, well, I would rather have one parent mad at me then 5 other parents mad at me because I couldn't take their kids outside because you didn't bring boots.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
                              They were mad at you? Wow they have alot of nerve. Tell them that it's not fair to all of the other kids to have them stay inside because they chose not to bring the needed items. You could say, well, I would rather have one parent mad at me then 5 other parents mad at me because I couldn't take their kids outside because you didn't bring boots.
                              They were mad that I would let her jump in a puddle. She is 2.5 yrs old. But yet they still send her in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X