Blows My Mind....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blows My Mind....

DCB 4yr old, diagnosed with asthma but hardly has any problems with it, had the parents not told me I would never know he has it. To the good part, Mom thinks he shouldn't go outside when it's in the 40's....too cold with his asthma and all. Mind you Mom smokes.....around him, he has ash holes in his coat!

I just let it roll in one ear and out the other and simply told her we go outside daily as long as it's not too cold for the babies

Originally posted by lilcupcakes09 View Post
    DCB 4yr old, diagnosed with asthma but hardly has any problems with it, had the parents not told me I would never know he has it. To the good part, Mom thinks he shouldn't go outside when it's in the 40's....too cold with his asthma and all. Mind you Mom smokes.....around him, he has ash holes in his coat!

I just let it roll in one ear and out the other and simply told her we go outside daily as long as it's not too cold for the babies
    I try to be really laid back and not judge too harshly BUT I'd have to say something to this mom. What an idiot!

K
    Homeschooling Mama to:
    lovethis
    dd12
    ds 10
    dd 8

Comment

Originally posted by lilcupcakes09 View Post

Wonder if it ever occurred to her that he doesn't actually have asthma but instead just has breathing problems due to her forcing second and third hand smoke exposure on him......

Poor kid

Comment

Originally posted by SquirrellyMama View Post
        I try to be really laid back and not judge too harshly BUT I'd have to say something to this mom. What an idiot!

K

I grew up with asthma (diagnosed at 1 month old) I everntually grew out most of it but still get exercise induced asthma. There are lots of different triggers. Some types of astma are caused by consticted air way passages to the lungs (which normally causes the more severe cases of asthma) this is when people see it is more severe and constant wheezing. there are some types where the bigger issue is that there is too much moisture (congestion) in the lungs and it is usually only set off by certain envirnomental things (temp, exersize, smoke/chemicals).

I actually love colder air (lower humidity) environments but I hate hot/warm air environements (too humid- causes you to overheat, get a runny nose, be more congested). My middle school PE and science teacher told me that cold air is actually good for your lungs because it opens up the lungs. Its not so much the temp its more about the humidity, too low or too high humidity can be an irritant to some people. Its basically like the myth that being exposed to cold air causes colds and that is why many people get sick in the winter. Fact: the reason people get sick during the winter is because they are more likely to stay inside the house with the heater on (and not open windows) and breathing in the same stale air with other people.

But smoke is one of the WORST things for someone with asthma to be around! Having asthma you are already at risk of lung disease and lung cancer because your immune system is more sensitive to allergy inducers.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
          Wonder if it ever occurred to her that he doesn't actually have asthma but instead just has breathing problems due to her forcing second and third hand smoke exposure on him......

Poor kid
          I was just going to suggest this.

If he has asthma no matter how mild you should probably require that he get an inhaler to leave at daycare just in case something happens.

Comment

A lot of parents put in writing they don't want their kids taken out. I tell them it is a State guideline and they are welcome to review the standard or contact the local office if they wanted to discuss it further. Fresh air and sunlight are so good for a child's development. Good for you for continuing to take them outside!

Comment

Working...
            X