Help Writing Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Writing Notice

Good morning everyone! I really need some advice on how to write a short notice/letter to parents. I keep getting sick kids and I can't take it anymore, I'm always sick because of this. I need to let parents know that for under any circumstances I will not be accepting sick kids beginning next week. What is the best/nicest way to to write something up. Thank you in advance

What is your policy on sick kids? Do you have a parent handbook?

when this happened to me, I sent home a policy reminder notice to parents, with NO EXCEPTIONS in large, bold font on the bottom. Then I got a forehead thermometer, I would take temps at the door. Anything over my sick policy fever guideline, and the child was not admitted into care.

"Oh, sorry little Jane has a fever of 100.6, she will have to go home with you today!"

Comment

Policies are same as state licensing, vomiting, fever, etc.... The only problem is that half of the parents are always rushing in the morning and probably won't have the time. I think writing a notice in bold like you mention is good enough, for now I hope . So lets see how this goes.

Thank you so much

Comment

I just took a class on health, safety, nutrition (my school is santa clara county too) and the teacher who taught it used to do home daycare. and she said that she was very strict about her sick policies.

Maybe try enforcing a daily health check before they are allowed in. You get to the child's eye level (if you can) and ask them "how are we feeling today?', "How did you sleep?", "Did you eat breakfast?"' if the child can talk clearly let them answer- NOT the parents! While the child (or parent if for an infant) is answering you:
        *listen to hear if they are weezy or groggy sounding.
        *look at their face (check for unusual discharge from eyes, mouth or nose and any discoloration)
        *checking if they are warm by shaking their hand or feeling their forehead/ cheek (if you have cold hands than maybe get an ear themonator and use it the minute they walk in)

A daily health check will also help you to get to know what is normal for the child and if anything is unusual.

For your letter you can try something like:
        'Dear daycare families,

It has come to my attention that some parents have been bringing their children to daycare when they are sick, this has led to a cycle of the same children getting sick and is starting to affect my health as well. I try to keep my home as clean as possible by following universal sanitation and personal hygeine procedures but that can only go so far. The best way to end the cycle of illness is if children who are ill are kept home for the 24 hours, children with more severe illnesses will require a doctors note before re-entering the child care home. If your child does not feel well the best thing for them is to go home and rest.

As of 3/x/13 I will now be doing a daily health check at the door, the parent must remain present until the daily health check is complete. I will no longer care for mildly ill children. If your child is feeling ill, do not bring them to my daycare medicated. Parents who are suspected of giving their children medicine to lower a fever or mask any other symptoms so their child will pass the daily health check, will be put on immediate probation and your child will not be allowed back at the daycare 24 hours. I, the provider, will determine whether a child is well enough to attend. If you do not know if your child is well enough to attend for the day try to call me first before bringing them to daycare. If I feel I cannot make proper accomidations or that their illness poses a risk to other children or myself, your child will not be allowed in for the day. If your child becomes ill at daycare I will call you and you or your emergency contacts will be expected to pick them up immediatly.

Lets work together to limit sick days for everyone.

Thank you, _______"

Comment

I do a quick daily health check as the children come in. It can be done in a way that the parents don't even realize you are doing it. "How are you this morning?" Did you/they sleep good last night?" Get down on the child's level and look at their complexion. Does it look normal/healthy? Put your hand on their head or neck? Does it feel warm? All these things can take less than a minute and can be done without a parent knowing what you are really doing. I do all of this during the time the parent is signing their child in.

Comment

Working...
          X