Help! Sick Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Sick Kids

What's a better way to tell a parent to please stop bringing her sick child to dc?! She doesn't seem to care because she don't want to miss work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Turn the child away at the door and say they must remain home for a minimum of 24 hours AFTER they are feeling better.

If she medicates and drops off and the child gets sick later, isolate the child near the entryway, call Mom, and tell her she has x amount of minutes to get there before late fees start being assessed. Add it to your parent handbook.

Comment

If the child is sick today tell the parent at pcik up time that the child can NOT return until XX day at the earliest and even longer if they aren't better.

I usually don't wait until drop off as giving them a day that they CAN return is much easier than turning them away at the door.

If I tell them not to return until a certain date, and they come back on that day and are still sick then I will turn them away at the door.

I also use the 24/48 hour rule for sickness and that curbs nearly 99% of parents bringing sick kids.

Sometimes there really is no nice way to put it other than to give a return date or to simply say no.

Comment

It will be too hard for me to tell them at the door. Ugh.... I have a parent text me this morning that she had to put a nose drops to get rid of the mucus.....its like are you serious? The other dcb has been coughing all morning n has been very fuzzy. I even got sick myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Star75 View Post
          It will be too hard for me to tell them at the door. Ugh.... I have a parent text me this morning that she had to put a nose drops to get rid of the mucus.....its like are you serious? The other dcb has been coughing all morning n has been very fuzzy. I even got sick myself.
          Nose drops (saline?) are no big deal. I use them regularly on kiddos, they just help to clear out plugged noses and soften hardened crusties so they aren't has hard to blow or pick out. Have used them myself on occasion, they work wonders

Keep in mind, not all boogs are related to illness. Many kids have allergies and that can make them run like faucets. If they aren't thick and green with other symptoms there really isn't any reason to exclude.

I personally don't exclude for coughing unless it's extreme or excessive.

Aside from laying down the law there really isn't much you can do. If you have policies outlined in your handbook about this sort of stuff they are useless if you can't enforce them. It can be difficult but it's a necessary part of the job if you're going to keep everyone in your care healthy!

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
            Nose drops (saline?) are no big deal. I use them regularly on kiddos, they just help to soften crusties so they aren't has hard to blow or pick out.

Aside from laying down the law there really isn't much you can do. If you have policies outlined in your handbook about this sort of stuff they are useless if you can't enforce them. It can be difficult but it's a necessary part of the job if you're going to keep everyone in your care healthy!
            Im taking about a sick child from a cold these kids r always sick with green mucus.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Star75 View Post
              Im taking about a sick child from a cold these kids r always sick with green mucus.
              So tell mom to keep them home and don't allow them back until they are better!

Again, it can be challenging to confront a persistent parent but communication and then sticking to your guns is quite literally your only option.

Comment

Working...
              X