Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Snot

There are days that I consider putting a note on the door,

"(insert daycare kids name)'s mom brought him today with excessive green drainage, fussiness cough and congestion that started over the weekend.

Since she hasn't taken him anywhere other than here she figured he got it here so she also felt strongly that I should still watch him despite the fact that all other children are still healthy. "Excessive" is after all a term that each person can have differing opinions on.

This message is just to forewarn you of what is now traveling through the daycare and what symtoms to look for. Please feel free to contact her at this number ***-***x or let her know in passing how you feel about this."

Obviously I would never be stupid enough to post this on my door because its not professional
    but seriously.... Some people have some nerve. I've often wondered if people would start second guessing the whole dropping off sick thing and err more on the side of caution.

::

Comment

We had a Dr speak to our group and she said green is good. It means it is the end of the cold and the snot is old. It does not mean the child is less sick with clear snot.

She did say if it had been over 2 weeks and the child had green snot a visit to rule out a sinus infection would be wise. but that could not be passed to other children / Just the original cold.
      It:: will wait

Comment

:: That's hysterical! I had a parent try to drop off the dcb I sent home sick after nap yesterday (with a 102 fever) um, yup. NO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by itlw8 View Post
          We had a Dr speak to our group and she said green is good. It means it is the end of the cold and the snot is old. It does not mean the child is less sick with clear snot.

She did say if it had been over 2 weeks and the child had green snot a visit to rule out a sinus infection would be wise. but that could not be passed to other children / Just the original cold.
          When they are blowing snot bubbles out of their nose literally the size of golf balls all day they should not be at daycare.... There is no way this is the end..plus it just started Sunday for him.

And make no mistake, I don't have a problem watching kids with colds because I know most kids this age are constantly sick with colds in the winter but it's the ones that have the ridiculous green drainage and fussiness...or any other illness.

Sometimes I get a call or they wait to ask me at arrival, "my child is running a fever or has diahrrea, do you think I should bring him or keep him here still?" "Uhm... is it on the sick policy not to?" "Yes"

What I would like to respond is: "WHY THE HECK ARE YOU ASKING ME!?!?!"

Comment

If a child has green or yellow nasal discharge for 5 consecutive days, they are denied care services until they have seen a doctor.

My illness policy also states:
            "There are times when a child may be excluded due to the required amount of care he/she needs when experiencing a common cold or illness. For example, a cough that is disruptive to normal daily activities, when a child is unable to cover his/her mouth while coughing or when the amount of nasal discharge or fluid becomes unmanageable for the provider to continue maintaining a sanitary environment. This will occur at my discretion and will be handled on an individual basis"

Snot and Mucus Decoded: The Meaning of Snot Colors

Comment

DCB age 3 kept coming with thick green mucous streaming from the nose (ewwwww), after several suggestions to the DCP... (Where she would tell me, she just didn't see it?, I had the 'magic' booger house : She finally took DCB to the Dr., and guess what -- he had bad outdoor allergies!! She kept him in the house all the time so maybe I did have the magic booger house, . Once he went on allergy meds, the boogers went away!

I like Black Cats suggestion... no care after 5 days. Contagious or not, green snot on all furniture and toys is just gross.

Comment

Originally posted by KDC View Post
                Contagious or not, green snot on all furniture and toys is just gross.

Exactly....

Thanks ladies!

Comment

Working...
                X