Tax Forms For Past Clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Forms For Past Clients

How many of you provide a form for your parents for taxes and do you provide forms for past clients? I'm asking because I have 2 parents whose children have been from under my care at least 6 months or more, that are wanting something in writing.

I give a w-10 to my clients that I generate through Minute Menu Kids Pro that automatically enters the amount of their payments for the previous year in it. I just sign it and hand it out.

Technically we don't have to give out a w-10 unless a client gives us one but I print one for each client. If my clients aren't with me anymore I still mail them a copy to the listed address in their paperwork when they were enrolled. I've had some returned (no longer at the address) but I keep the envelopes as proof that I did attempt to send them one, just in case they try to claim that I refused to give them one.

Comment

You legally need to provide them a form of some sort for their taxes.

Here in Canada I do a basic one that has my Social Insurance number, home address, received from, dates, daycare for, the total of and signed.

SIN is because Revenue Canada will cross reference their claim vs my claim should they decide to audit one of us. It has happened to me once in 21 years and nothing came of it because our totals matched.

EDIT I only give receipts once a year, in January for the previous year.

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
        I give a w-10 to my clients that I generate through Minute Menu Kids Pro that automatically enters the amount of their payments for the previous year in it. I just sign it and hand it out.

Technically we don't have to give out a w-10 unless a client gives us one but I print one for each client. If my clients aren't with me anymore I still mail them a copy to the listed address in their paperwork when they were enrolled. I've had some returned (no longer at the address) but I keep the envelopes as proof that I did attempt to send them one, just in case they try to claim that I refused to give them one.
        For my clients I have now, I provided them with theirs. Could they use their receipts that they get for the week? I'm just wondering because for the ones that has been from under my care 6 months or longer, I didn't provide them with anything. I guess this will be my first lessoned learned.

Comment

The W-10 has a space for your social security or EIN number (whichever you use) which the client will need.
          I give receipts for each payment. At the end of the year I do a total for each family and give it to them to check. Then when I give them the W-10 , I include the total and have the parent sign that they agree with the total and we each get a copy in case a parent ever claims a different number and the IRS comes asking questions.

Comment

Originally posted by williams2008 View Post
            For my clients I have now, I provided them with theirs. Could they use their receipts that they get for the week? I'm just wondering because for the ones that has been from under my care 6 months or longer, I didn't provide them with anything. I guess this will be my first lessoned learned.
            Here is Tom Copeland's blog entry about year-end receipts

Comment

Working...
            X