Infant & Insistent Habitual Grunting/Whining/Fussing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So helpful!!!

What a sigh of relief! I watch a 6 month old that does all of what you are describing. He has since he came here at 6 weeks. He's actually doing it now as my LO tries to sleep and I type this because I just need a break from the noise. He just seems unhappy unless he's sleeping or eating. He won't roll over, won't sit up, won't hold his bottle, hates tummy time and is just not very interactive with anyone. He will acknowledge you with a smile and will give a little grunting laugh but that's about it. I've tried swapping toys, rooms, activity equipment and nothing seems to work. He is here 5 days a week from 730 am until about 545-6pm. From what I understand there is a lot of TV time when he is not here. It seems to keep his attention and he is less grumpy (but still noisy). However, I just HATE the idea of plopping him in front of the TV. It makes me feel helpless (as I know he probably feels the same way too). I have recently decided I will have to part ways and feel horrible about it. I agreed to keep him for a few more months until they can find another DC but it seems like an eternity away. My LO is 23 months and feels the affects of his behavior and is getting very jealous of the attention I have to give him. I have two kids myself and my biggest accomplishment thus far has been being a mother. I take huge pride in my children and my abilities as a mother. I hate to see anyone degrade another person for honestly doing their best to help an unhappy child. One truly doesn't know what it's like until you've gone through it. It can cause soooooo many problems within your household and within yourself. This was a great thread and really helped me from feeling alone in this matter.

Comment

mystery

So no one knows what's causing this or what it is? A family member of mine has a child doing this. He is 7 months. He doesn't coo or babble only grunts. His grunts become screams when she puts him down or walks away. But he also grunts to communicate.

Comment

Gas and tummy pains

My infant does this when he has gas and tummy aches and he does it off and on all day. The moment I start doing bicycle legs with him or start walking around dancing, he stops the screaming and just continues to grunt because he has a hard time going to the bathroom. It happens for some babies. After I do bicycle legs with him until he stops grunting or has movement, he is better and doesn't scream or grunt anymore. It happens everyday anywhere from 30 minutes after feeding or a few hours. It is unpredictable. Don't know if that was the case in this situation but sounds just like what my son does.

Comment

Wtf

Agree with the "Wow" comment. I find this thread full of disgusting comments. You guys are exactly why I stay at home. The thought of leaving my kid with someone like you makes my heart hurt. You should be ashamed. It's a ****ing infant for goodness sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Agree with the "Wow" comment. I find this thread full of disgusting comments. You guys are exactly why I stay at home. The thought of leaving my kid with someone like you makes my heart hurt. You should be ashamed. It's a ****ing infant for goodness sake.
            I'm genuinely interested in what exactly about my comments (or someone else's) is "disgusting. This is my post from years ago about an issue I was worried about because I didn't know if it could have been a medical issue (it wasn't in this case, according the child's pediatrician) and I reached out for ideas because the baby was not comfortable. I wanted to try to fix the issue if I could so that he could be happier and thrive while in my care.

From reading some of the comments this was an issue that had happened before and those providers were also concerned. If it's the "humor" that I used to make jokes well that's just my personality. I always make light of things. If it was the complaint that it was wearing on me, that's because it was. This baby made these noises the entire time that he was with me or any other caregiver unless he was being held and you paced with him, sometimes even then and there was no obvious reason for this and he did not do it around his parents. They went through several nannies after me that also had the same issue and it didn't work out with them either. Mom had to quit her job because the issue was so severe yet the baby did not do it around her.

So again, I just want to know what it was about the comments that affected you so much that you felt the need to criticize on a post that's almost 4 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              What was disgusting? Who comes on a 3 (?)year old thread to berate providers. Op was obviously concerned that this was something she had never seen before, as an experienced provider, and was seeking input/help.

Parents like YOU should be staying at home.

Comment

I know this is a 8 year old thread, but I was searching for reasons my normally happy baby started becoming fussy, had to be held, and was constantly grunting, and I run across this thread. Turns out she had two ear infections. She also was having trouble sleeping and wasn't interested in eating. She wasn't crying at all, just fussy, unhappy, and grunting.

I wonder if the original baby in question had some sort of underlying infection - yeast, UTI, ear, etc. and was generally "mellow" and therefore their experssion of pain was just fussiness/grunting.

Comment

Working...
                X