Nap Time Screaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nap Time Screaming

Hey Ladies! This is actually about my own DD (14mos) but I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do! She has always been a pretty good sleeper and good at going down in her crib on her own but recently it's become a nightmare. She's already transitioned to only one nap, even though some days she will need 2 depending on how she slept at night or when she got up. She's never been the kid that can fall asleep in your lap or on the floor if she's tired, she's always fought sleep if not in her crib. She only sleeps in her crib but its never been this hard to get her to go to . I've always put her down awake and she would put herself out without a fuss. We did have severe reflux issues and her bed had to be elevated on one end until about 9mos but she's been fine sleeping flat since then.

But recently that is not the case, DD has been throwing major fits when it comes to nap/bed time. They frequently can last for up to an hour (occasionally longer too) at bed time and 45mins at nap (I get her up @ this point bc I don't need her waking DCKs). Its not just a normal cry either, its a scream that leaves her horse and sounds like she's being tortured. I even had a neighbor come over to "check everything was ok" because she could hear the screaming while working in her yard (our homes are not attached). She wants her back patted or me in the room right next to her crib or she just screams and screams. I'll get her calmed down but the second I walk away the bloody murder scream happens again. If I go in at any point it just gets worse. I've tried CIO, modified CIO, rocking, "quiet time" before nap/bed, we modified her bedtime routine, then went back to the regular one as changing made no change, fan/no fan...

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I've dealt with DCKs like this and usually can deal with it, I have one DCK that was like this and now I have her sleeping great (even in the same room as other DCKs!) but DD is just getting worse and worse. I've tried the same tactics but nothings helping. I thought it was a phase but its been nearly 3 months now and I'm going insane and barely sleeping. Last night she woke up at 2 am an screamed til 245 when my DH finally got up and tried to get her to sleep (he usually doesn't do this), no luck because the second he put her down it started again from 3:30 to 4:15! this night time screaming has become a regular now too, she used to sleep 13 hours straight.

Any ideas?

Usually when I have a good sleeper (my own or dc kids) who suddenly wake screaming, there is pain/illness involved. Is she teething? Could the reflux be rearing it's head again? Have you tried and OTC to see if that helps? Could there be something in her bed that's causing pain?
    Ugh, hope you can figure it out soon or she outgrows this lovely stage

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
      Usually when I have a good sleeper (my own or dc kids) who suddenly wake screaming, there is pain/illness involved. Is she teething? Could the reflux be rearing it's head again? Have you tried and OTC to see if that helps? Could there be something in her bed that's causing pain?
      Ugh, hope you can figure it out soon or she outgrows this lovely stage
      She doesn't seem to be teething, but I'll be on the look out for it!

I think I'm going to get some OTC meds to see if it's the reflux again. I just assumed she outgrew but maybe it's rearing its nasty head again, it does seem similar to when she had it before, it's just more extreme screaming than it ever has been.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Working...
      X