Do The Unlicensed Daycares Advertise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do The Unlicensed Daycares Advertise?

Is it eligible for an unlicensed home daycare to advertise on different web sites ' criagslist as an exaplme' ? does it mean they are eligible to have this business or they are observed by the state?

It depends on the state that you live in (and sometimes the county/city) and also the type of services that they are providing.

I am in CA and if you are license-exempt, meaning that you don't need a license to provide child care, then yes you can.
    Specific examples like this are if you are a nanny, if you are a babysitter, if you care for the children of only one family in your home, if you care for relatives children only etc.

If you are caring for the children of more than one family in your home without a license then you are running an illegal daycare and you are not allowed to advertise for clients anywhere.

In other states you are allowed to care for more kids and more families and you don't need to be licensed or registered so again, it just depends on where you live.

Comment

In MI you have to have a license to watch any kids who are unrelated to you, but there are always ads on CL for unlicensed childcare providers. Here unless someone reports you, the state rarely will come after you. There are not enough resources to investigate everyone. No offense if you are unlicensed and need to be, but it drives me crazy to see these people advertise when they are unlicensed, especially since it's illegal here. I put a lot of time and money into opening my in home because you are supposed to have a license. Someone around my area even put an ad on CL stating how it's illegal to run an unlicensed daycare, but people still do it. Now if it's legal to provide unlicensed care, more power to you to advertise!

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
        In MI you have to have a license to watch any kids who are unrelated to you, but there are always ads on CL for unlicensed childcare providers. Here unless someone reports you, the state rarely will come after you. There are not enough resources to investigate everyone. No offense if you are unlicensed and need to be, but it drives me crazy to see these people advertise when they are unlicensed, especially since it's illegal here. I put a lot of time and money into opening my in home because you are supposed to have a license. Someone around my area even put an ad on CL stating how it's illegal to run an unlicensed daycare, but people still do it. Now if it's legal to provide unlicensed care, more power to you to advertise!
        Also depending on your state (such as California) if you get caught you have to pay a penalty of up to $200 per day you operated without a liscense (so even if you get away with it for a month 5 days a week that is $4000) and in the future they could possibly deny your request for a license.

I heard of one stay-at-home mom in texas who would frequently babysit her friends and neighbors kids or just invite her kids friends after school (all for free) and someone called the state on her saying that she was running a unregistered/unliscensed daycare and almost got fined but since it was free they told her she couldn't have that much kids unless she got a daycare liscense.

Comment

in my state you can watch up to four kids and do not have to get a license. this does not include your own relatives. so yes, these ads are everywhere but there are also plenty of people that take many more kids and still dont get a license.

Comment

Here in BC you can watch 2 kids OR one sibling group without being licensed so yes it's fine to advertise without being licensed.

Like others have said, it all depends on where you are.
            Last edited by MissSarah; 02-02-2013, 12:41 AM. Reason: another thought :)

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
              That is sooooo funny....I'm in Michigan and *I* put an ad on CL regarding it being illegal to operate an unlicensed daycare in MI and what the consequences are, and the ad was removed and I was sent an email stating *MY* ad was illegal to post.

First, it drives me crazy also that unlicensed providers are allowed to advertise on there when the licenced daycares take the time and effort to follow all the guidelines to do it right, pay all the prices and fees, file taxes etc, then along comes someone who is not licensed and undercut their rates, putting the ones doing things legally out of business.

I don't know about now, but I do know years ago in order to advertise in the local newspaper you had to provide your license number or they wouldn't accept your ad.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc20021 View Post
                That is sooooo funny....I'm in Michigan and *I* put an ad on CL regarding it being illegal to operate an unlicensed daycare in MI and what the consequences are, and the ad was removed and I was sent an email stating *MY* ad was illegal to post.

First, it drives me crazy also that unlicensed providers are allowed to advertise on there when the licenced daycares take the time and effort to follow all the guidelines to do it right, pay all the prices and fees, file taxes etc, then along comes someone who is not licensed and undercut their rates, putting the ones doing things legally out of business.

I don't know about now, but I do know years ago in order to advertise in the local newspaper you had to provide your license number or they wouldn't accept your ad.
                LOL are you near Lansing? I may have sent you an email.. a good one.

Comment

No...not near Lansing. Is that where the person was from who posted the ad on CL about unlicensed providers? Must be more than one of upset about it. Mine was nothing negative, just stating what the consequences were and how the state regulates childcare and with today's society you really need to know who is watching your kids etc...just basically a message warning more than criticizing. I was surprised it was removed and I received the email from the administrator or whoever it was.

Comment

No...not near Lansing. Is that where the person was from who posted the ad on CL about unlicensed providers? Must be more than one of upset about it. Mine was nothing negative, just stating what the consequences were and how the state regulates childcare and with today's society you really need to know who is watching your kids etc...just basically a message warning more than criticizing. I was surprised it was removed and I received ththe email from the administrator or whoever it was.
                    Darn I was hoping there was someone on this forum around me... Yes, that was what the person here said. It wasn't mean at all, but someone took it down so the person made another one, but telling licensed providers to put that they are licensed in the title. I'm glad people are saying something. Maybe someone copied yours...

Comment

Yes, licensed childcare providers do need to speak up. I've caused some heated arguements on facebook just by stating it is illegal for unlicensed providers to give care to kids not related to them and even linked a website so they didn't think I just made it up.
                      I made my statement, posted the link and left it at that...EVERYONE else was making all kinds of comments about it, mostly supporting unlicensed providers being able to care for children.
                      They just don't get what we have to go through to do things the correct, legal way...and obviously not the 'why' either.

Comment

I will be straight out and say I am not licensed and yes I do advertise. I am not allowed to be licensed because the city I live in does not allow fenced in yards. I had the state licensing person come out and said I would pass with no problems but unfortunately with no fence there was no license. There are 5 unlicensed providers in my area and no large centers because its not allowed here. Just because we are not licensed does not make us bad providers. I still follow all the rules as if I were licensed. I don't see why the unlicensed providers cant advertise or what the big problem is??????

Comment

Originally posted by mbullette View Post
                          I will be straight out and say I am not licensed and yes I do advertise. I am not allowed to be licensed because the city I live in does not allow fenced in yards. I had the state licensing person come out and said I would pass with no problems but unfortunately with no fence there was no license. There are 5 unlicensed providers in my area and no large centers because its not allowed here. Just because we are not licensed does not make us bad providers. I still follow all the rules as if I were licensed. I don't see why the unlicensed providers cant advertise or what the big problem is??????
                          I don't have a problem with providers who aren't licensed, if it is legal to operate without a license in your state. There are laws for a reason. I'm not saying that unlicensed providers are bad, but the key words that you said was "I follow all the rules as if I were licensed". A lot of people don't or they don't know the rules or what is adequate for the children. I guess what it comes down to it for me is it's illegal here to operate w/o a license so you shouldn't. That's just my opinion.

Comment

Yes, licensed childcare providers do need to speak up. I've caused some heated arguements on facebook just by stating it is illegal for unlicensed providers to give care to kids not related to them and even linked a website so they didn't think I just made it up.
                            I made my statement, posted the link and left it at that...EVERYONE else was making all kinds of comments about it, mostly supporting unlicensed providers being able to care for children.
                            They just don't get what we have to go through to do things the correct, legal way...and obviously not the 'why' either.
                            Exactly! We do have to go through a lot, both with time and money. I don't have a problem with unlicensed providers IF it is legal! It will always be up for debate and people will get mad, but there are plenty of laws that are debatable and will cause conflict.

Comment

If there's an ordianance that does not allow fencing, but daycare rules are that you MUST have a fence to be licensed, why do you think there is the rule to begin with? For the safety of the kids. I'm not saying you're not a good provider and give excellent care for the children you care for, but the rules are there for a reason and if unlicensed providers are not monitored, there could be some major consequences not only for the child who may dart out into the road and get hit, but for the provider themselves in a lawsuit.

You may be a wonderful caregiver, but what about the next person who isn't and isn't being monitored by the state, having inspections and complying by the daycare rules.

What about the sex perpetrator who decides to have children in their homes...have they been finger printed or had background checks?

What about someone who has mental health issues and hasn't been cleared by a physician that they are mentally and physically capable to care for children, or someone who may have had their own child removed by cps and had their parental rights terminated who decides they are capable of caring when they've lost their own.

There are so many variables that children could be endangered by and although I know MOST unlicensed providers are just as good as the ones who are licensed, it's those few who aren't...who aren't being monitored, who are the ones I fear for the safety of the children.

Please understand I'm NOT criticising anyone on here...it's just that the states set up these guidelines due to the fact of so many children being abused throughout the years and they want to try to protect as many as possible. They can't all be protected, but there's a greater chance of doing so with the guidelines the states have set up for childcare providers.

Comment

Working...
                              X