Summer Breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Breaks

SO last week, I just found out one of my children, which they placed a 2 week deposit to hold the spot during the summer was not near enough. I called them to see which day they needed for me to start back up- and she said "didn't you receive our message"? I said no- Then she said we found a nother daycare that had an opening and our girl knows children there as well!! I couldn't believe it 2 weeks before school starting back, I have turned away many infants etc. and she tells me this!!!! Nothing personal at all against you- just wanted someone she knew!! SHe has been coming here for one yr!!!! I had 3 others that she knew here inc. my own children-UGHHH!!!! My daycare vent for the day!!! This maybe should have went into the other section!! So in no way is the 2 weeks deposit enough!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Michael; 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM.

That is why my policy is 1/2 rate for holding summers. Parents will screw us every chance they get. Sorry you are dealing with morons.

Comment

Originally posted by mac60 View Post
      That is why my policy is 1/2 rate for holding summers. Parents will screw us every chance they get. Sorry you are dealing with morons.
      SO Mac- when you charge 1/2 the rate, can they bring their children to you for that amt. of money each week? Do you have parents that want to bring their child to you?
      I know it sucks, there are so many nonrespectful(morons, as you called them) out there!!!! It sure sucks big time!!! It seems like the more favors you give people it bites you in the butt!!!!! I have had this happen so much!!!!!!
      Last edited by Michael; 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Maybe moron wasn't a nice word to use, but really, parents push and use us to no end. I am sure they don't treat their employers the way many treat us. Since where are service fees negotiable.

I have the same policy for extended sick leave, maternity leave, summer break leave, I actually have it at $40 per week to hold the spot, and yes, you can bring your child for 2 days per week for that rate. That is for a full time child, if you are here 3 days per week, it would be $25 to hold and 1 day of care offered. I know someone who offered $25 per week to hold the spot and can bring child for care on Tues or Thurs.

Comment

My grandmother owned my daycare before I took it over...I learned a lot from her. At one point, there was a little girl who came full time--five days a week. Her mom was a school teacher. So, when summer came, she asked my grandmother if it was okay to take her out during the summer and bring her back when school started back in the fall. Granny, being the kind woman she is, said yes, because we have school age kids who can fill her spot in the summer. The end of that summer, we tried calling the family to find out when she would start back with us. To make a long story short, we still haven't heard back from the family. That was 3 years ago. So, now that I have taken over the daycare, I REQUIRE at least 1-2 days enrollment in the summer if the family plans to bring them back in the fall. If they don't enroll 1-2 days, I fill their spot for the fall. I see this family now, and it still makes me so mad that people can be so disrespectful. I hope things work out for you, and I'm so sorry! (And yes, I would say 'moron' is a perfect word for these people)

Comment

Maybe moron wasn't a nice word to use, but really, parents push and use us to no end. I am sure they don't treat their employers the way many treat us. Since where are service fees negotiable.

I have the same policy for extended sick leave, maternity leave, summer break leave, I actually have it at $40 per week to hold the spot, and yes, you can bring your child for 2 days per week for that rate. That is for a full time child, if you are here 3 days per week, it would be $25 to hold and 1 day of care offered. I know someone who offered $25 per week to hold the spot and can bring child for care on Tues or Thurs.
            I totally agree with you- !!!! So then you really aren't getting anything to hold the spot at all-

Comment

I guess you are right, I am not getting anything to hold the spot, unless the parent chooses to not bring the child either of the days.

Comment

I don't hold open spots anymore; if it's open I fill it. It sounds cold, I know, but I have been burned so many times and lost that income that I won't do it any longer.

If they want to come back in the fall, it will depend on whether or not I have a spot. It puts the burden on the parent, not on you.

Comment

I guess you are right, I am not getting anything to hold the spot, unless the parent chooses to not bring the child either of the days.
                  Do they send their child the 2 days to you? Your weekly rate is only $80.00???

Comment

The families I have had take maternity leave, yes, they sent their child 2 days per week for the fee. My ft rate is now $85 for any new ones coming in. I just picked $40 because it was easier/sounded better than $42.50. Always trying to please the customer. Yes, I live in some of the lowest rate areas of the country, along with some of the highest unemployment.

Comment

The families I have had take maternity leave, yes, they sent their child 2 days per week for the fee. My ft rate is now $85 for any new ones coming in. I just picked $40 because it was easier/sounded better than $42.50. Always trying to please the customer. Yes, I live in some of the lowest rate areas of the country, along with some of the highest unemployment.
                      WOW!!!! That is so cheap!! You live in Minn.?

Comment

Rates

Originally posted by Iowa daycare View Post
                        WOW!!!! That is so cheap!! You live in Minn.?
                        LOL, you crack me up! Some places in MN near the cities are expensive! I'm in North Dakota and have family throughout South Dakota and Minnesota as well. SD had some home daycares at only $2.50/hour and $2.00/hour if you had two or more children. A small town near St. Cloud, MN has a center that is $135/week with a $10/week discount per child. In ND a lot of home daycares are about $100-$125/week. These are all full time rates of people I know.

Comment

i feel you mac, my rate is 80, and that is high for here....and everyone gets subsidys....

Comment

I am Ohio.

Comment

I am Ohio.
                              OOPS,sorry Mac,for some reason I was thinking you were in Minn.

Comment

Working...
                              X