Thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometers

So I have an 15 month old who has been under the weather. Her mom was also sick, but she had been sending the little one anyway.

Not tooting my own horn here I, ok I am.., but after two kids and the daycare I am pretty good at detecting the slightest temperature on children with touch. I have a normal digital thermometer with which I check axillary (under arm).

This baby has typically been running low grade fevers at the end of the day,just before going home...anywhere from 99.5 to yesterday 100.3, since Monday.

Yesterday I texted mom about the baby having a temp and she didn't respond. Dad picked up and when I told him about the temp he didn't seem concerned, but a little annoyed.

Mom comes in this morning saying the baby did not have a fever yesterday when they went home and checked it. Come to find out she uses the forehead touch (run it along the forehead) or an ear. Well I told her that both can have inaccuracies IMO. I have had ear thermometer's in the past and could get 5 different readings. I think this is the problem. I have even checked my thermometer on myself and it read just fine.

Any thoughts as far as thermometers are concerned?

I use a forehead thermometer. You are correct in the fact that sometimes it will read one temp on one side and another temp on the other. I talked to our pediatrician about this and he told me to run it on each side and take the higher of the two.

Comment

I was always told to take 3 temps and average them.

I use the forehead thermometer typically (and have an ear one that I sometimes use) and I was told to add a degree to them both.

I cannot tell fever by touch. My hands are ALWAYS ice cold, even in summer, so everyone feels warm to me. I have a dcg who doesn't even like to hold my hand, unless it's hot in summer. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
        I was always told to take 3 temps and average them.

I use the forehead thermometer typically (and have an ear one that I sometimes use) and I was told to add a degree to them both.

I cannot tell fever by touch. My hands are ALWAYS ice cold, even in summer, so everyone feels warm to me. I have a dcg who doesn't even like to hold my hand, unless it's hot in summer. LOL!
        I was always told to add a degree too, unless you take a rectal temp. The problem with this is that most parents do not know to do this, so in their mind their child does not have a temp. Some thermometers already add the degree for you so you have to be sure to read the package that it comes in. My hands are always cold too, even in the summer....

Comment

Sounds to me like she may not know to add a degree. If hers does not do that. The child could not possibly have a fever here and then NOT at home15minutes later.

Comment

I have a forehead thermometer. I bought it on Amazon, and it was pretty inexpensive.

It's O.K, but you have to take the temp at least twice, then split the difference, and use your own judgement. I was experimenting the other day. On his forehead it was 98.9. Just behind his ear, it was 100.8 On his neck, it was 101.8.

I would have said he was running at about 100. Not really that sick, but fighting something.

I had an ear thermometer that would consistently say 106. I freaked out a few times before I realized I was being gullible.

Comment

I use an ear thermometer but have thought of trying the forehead one. I think if you are averaging and know there is a slight fever involved a little point something doesn't make much of a difference.

A fever is the body's way of fighting off infection - I believe a slight fever is actually good and I don't send home for it and I don't medicate my own kids for it either. Sometimes the fever fights the bug and wins, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't and the fever goes up that's when I start treating it.

Maybe parents are medicating and that's why you are only seeing a fever later in the day. But if there are no other signs of illness and only slight 99-100 under the arm I wouldn't be sending home.

And another thing I do if I'm sending a child home with a fever is ALWAYS take it right as the child is leaving so parent SEES the number on my thermometer.

Comment

Ask her to bring it with in the morning and show you as your thermometer is obviously reading differently than hers is. Maybe ask her to leave it in the child's cubby so you can use that one to check her while she's in your care until the illness is over.

If you use a concerned tone more than accusatory one she should be more than happy to comply.

Comment

I have an ear and head thermometer and I prefer my old fashioned stick it under the arm thermometer. I have never found them(head or ear thermometer) to be accurate.....or even close. I will never waste my money in them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy In Mo View Post
                    I have an ear and head thermometer and I prefer my old fashioned stick it under the arm thermometer. I have never found them(head or ear thermometer) to be accurate.....or even close. I will never waste my money in them again.
                    Exactly what I think....if my kid actually has a 103. fever I want to KNOW, not be under the impression its only 101....KWIM ?

When it comes to this stuff...accuracy is important.

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the replies. I love this forum lovethis

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                        Ask her to bring it with in the morning and show you as your thermometer is obviously reading differently than hers is. Maybe ask her to leave it in the child's cubby so you can use that one to check her while she's in your care until the illness is over.

If you use a concerned tone more than accusatory one she should be more than happy to comply.
                        this!!!! I find that sometimes the way we use our words make the parents assume we are attacking them. I sometimes have to rehearse what I am going to say out loud in the mirror before saying anything......

go ahead and laugh at me... but it really does work..

I also sometime will write them a letter and never send it....... just need to get it out and then realize that what I wrote will only create a battle and it will go no where..

it helps me to clear my thoughts enough to USUALLY come up with the right way to say things that makes me able to get them to do what I want them to do.

BTW I am not saying that you are using the wrong words.....Some parents are just very sensitive and get butt hurt about the silliest things......

Comment

Working...
                        X