How Many Part Time Kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Part Time Kids?

How many PT kids do you have in your over all ratio of kids? Lately I'm getting calls of parents wanting 1 or 2 days a week. I'm unsure of what a good balance would be for PT kids. It does take away from the total number full timers & overall income. Your thoughts?

Out of 14 total enrolled, we have 5 p/t kids. Their days fit together perfectly, so that we are full (12 kids) each day. All 5 come 3 days a week (one just added two more days to his 1 day a week schedule).

I would say, if you can make them all fit together it isn't an issue. Plus we charge more for part-time (f/t comes out to 28.00 a day, and p/t is 40.00 a day)- so you actually would wind up making more money if you can fit them all together. However, I also would keep in mind you can term a part-time family in the future (or give them the opportunity to become full-time) , if you had the opportunity to take on a full-time family. It isn't the nicest move, and I understand that, but it is a business and you need to do what's best for you.

Comment

I have no part time children presently enrolled but my PT requurements are 3 days per week. The only way I would consider 2 days was if it were opposite another part timer.

Comment

All of my kids are part time. Some come full days for part of the week and others come part of the day. I've been very lucky that the schedules for each family just always seem to mesh well together. I've also had families who were willing to change their schedule to fit any openings I have at the time.

I always tell the families when they interview that full time takes priority over part time and that if I need their part time spot for a full time child, I may have to discuss options with them but in all the time I've been doing day care, I've never had to do that. I'm not sure I could - I get so attached to the kids - but I want the option in case I absolutely have to for financial reasons.

Comment

I don't have any part timers. If I did I actually charge them more. Example:
          5 days a week - $125
          3 days a week - $100
          2 days a week - $80

If you break the weekly fee down per day part timers pay more. You can choose to charge full weekly rate if you want, some people do. Home based providers have a very few precious slots. If Timmy come Mon-Tues-Wed the likely hood I can find one for just Thurs-Fri is slim so it must be worth my while or I won't do it. I have bills to pay.
          ~AmandaG~

Comment

I would start taking part timers if I were you but only if they could guarantee what days they would come (say every Monday and Tuesday) and pay for those days regardless of attendance. That way you can then interview for a family needing Wednesday-Friday (or one or two of those days). Dont let a part time family take up every day of the week with a random schedule but not able to do the same days every week....if someone needs that much flexibility, charge them for a full time spot and they are guaranteed every day available to them.

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
              i would start taking part timers if i were you but only if they could guarantee what days they would come (say every monday and tuesday) and pay for those days regardless of attendance. That way you can then interview for a family needing wednesday-friday (or one or two of those days). Dont let a part time family take up every day of the week with a random schedule but not able to do the same days every week....if someone needs that much flexibility, charge them for a full time spot and they are guaranteed every day available to them.
              agree!!!!!

Comment

I would start taking part timers if I were you but only if they could guarantee what days they would come (say every Monday and Tuesday) and pay for those days regardless of attendance. That way you can then interview for a family needing Wednesday-Friday (or one or two of those days). Dont let a part time family take up every day of the week with a random schedule but not able to do the same days every week....if someone needs that much flexibility, charge them for a full time spot and they are guaranteed every day available to them.
                Thank you.., that makes good business sense...

Comment

THIS! I also do as a pp mention and charge more for those slots.

My rate scale is:

175/5 days a week
                  160/4 days
                  135/3
                  100/2

I actually have two pt kids that alternate days and I make 235 for what averages out to be 1 ft spot.

Comment

I also charge a small increase on part time kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X