Canadians...Can I Ask A Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadians...Can I Ask A Question?

I've noticed that you guys refer to holidays as "stat" holidays...why stat? My brain wants to put an e on that and make it "state" but I guess because you don't have states that wouldn't make sense. But why "stat"?

(I've wondered for a long time, I hope no one finds this rude! I am just a very curious person and always want to know answers to things)
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Stat = Statutory

Comment

There are 6 statutory national holidays that everyone is entitled to have off with pay or be paid double time to work. There are also a ton of regular holidays where employers are not required to pay employees extra or give them the day off.

The stats are:
      New Year's Day
      Good Friday
      Canada Day
      Labor Day
      Remembrance Day
      Christmas Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Meyou View Post
        There are 6 statutory national holidays that everyone is entitled to have off with pay or be paid double time to work. There are also a ton of regular holidays where employers are not required to pay employees extra or give them the day off.

The stats are:
        New Year's Day
        Good Friday
        Canada Day
        Labor Day
        Remembrance Day
        Christmas Day.
        Stats and pay vary by Province and Territory.

In BC Family Day (Feb) is a new stat holiday as is Victoria Day (May). You have to have worked at a job for a certain amount of time and a certain amount of hours to be paid time and a half for stats. Government is always closed on Stats and uses Boxing Day (Dec 26th as a government holiday too which confuses a lot of people. Also if the holiday falls on a weekend, like Remembrance Day ( Nov 11) then the weekday closest will be the holiday.

Comment

*May Day isn't new...I just meant its am additional Stat.

Comment

Remembrance Day isn't a stat here in Ontario, except for federal employees. In this military town, that means technically the military have it as a stat, however most of them are working on parade, etc. So Monday (which would be the lieu day for Nov 11), I'm open .

I take New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civic Day, Labour Day and Thanksgiving Monday as paid stats. They're all fed stats (hubby's a civil servant, so he gets those days as stats too).
            www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Meyou View Post

The stats are:
              New Year's Day
              Good Friday
              Canada Day
              Labor Day
              Remembrance Day
              Christmas Day.
              Actually this completely depends where you are. My province considers 10 holidays to be paid stats off (or you are paid time and a half to work them).

Comment

Originally posted by Greenplasticwateringcans View Post
                Stat = Statutory
                excellent, thank you! I figured it was short for something but I couldn't imagine what. That makes perfect sense. Phew! Now I can stop getting distracted by it every time I see it :P
                Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

I didn't know that it was different in each province. My apologies.

Comment

Working...
                  X