Rain/Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain/Kids

We live in a very, very rainy region-very rainy. This year I'm determined to get outside more with the kids during the winter months and I've done it in the past but not to the extent I want to this year.

It is either a major down pour or very fine misty rain. It even hailed today already. All my kids have boots and coats (finally) and want to go outside. The issue is in 5 min. they will more then totally soaked, cold and wet. We also get very cold winds here (right off the snow mountains) but no one wear snow suits, heavy coats, things like that. Pretty much everyone stays inside all winter.

So how do you get kids outside when they are just cold, wet and miserable after about 5 min. maybe 10 at the most. I think I heard maybe 6 in. of rain this week!
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
    We live in a very, very rainy region-very rainy. This year I'm determined to get outside more with the kids during the winter months and I've done it in the past but not to the extent I want to this year.

It is either a major down pour or very fine misty rain. It even hailed today already. All my kids have boots and coats (finally) and want to go outside. The issue is in 5 min. they will more then totally soaked, cold and wet. We also get very cold winds here (right off the snow mountains) but no one wear snow suits, heavy coats, things like that. Pretty much everyone stays inside all winter.

So how do you get kids outside when they are just cold, wet and miserable after about 5 min. maybe 10 at the most. I think I hard maybe 6 in. of rain this week!
    Sounds like you live in the north west.

Comment

What a bummer.
      I say take them out anyway!
      If you give in now its going to be a long winter!

Comment

I have a friend that says, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes." I always remind myself of this when either my kids or I complain about the weather.

Comment

Raincoats with a child's poncho over it?!?

I can't imagine having to stay indoors more than 1 day with the children. They behave so much better when we have been outside for recess.

Comment

ugh the rain... I get so tired of it! Especially when I see a break in it and we all hustle to get geared up but the second we step outside it starts again

I thankfully have a patio area that is covered, which gives us some shelter from the rain but it's not that large and there's no break from the wind. I literally just this weekend hung a tarp from one end of my covered porch to try to prevent the wind. The way our home is positioned the wind just whips right through the play area out back. Its not the prettiest solution but so far it's seemed to have helped a bit. Most the time in the winter we go out more often but for shorter bursts.

I've bought those disposable hand warmers in the past but they turned out to be more of a hassle than anything, with my group anyway.

I hate being stuck inside all day so most the time we just bundle up and head out, all the outerwear hits the dryer and we do it all again later.

Comment

Snowsuits with ponchos over top works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyss View Post
                ugh the rain... I get so tired of it! Especially when I see a break in it and we all hustle to get geared up but the second we step outside it starts again

I thankfully have a patio area that is covered, which gives us some shelter from the rain but it's not that large and there's no break from the wind. I literally just this weekend hung a tarp from one end of my covered porch to try to prevent the wind. The way our home is positioned the wind just whips right through the play area out back. Its not the prettiest solution but so far it's seemed to have helped a bit. Most the time in the winter we go out more often but for shorter bursts.

I've bought those disposable hand warmers in the past but they turned out to be more of a hassle than anything, with my group anyway.

I hate being stuck inside all day so most the time we just bundle up and head out, all the outerwear hits the dryer and we do it all again later.
                I'm so glad to hear someone else that knows what I'm talking about. We have no cover outside and when the wind hits its just miserable. All the parents were bundling kids up today and everyone was saying how miserably cold it was with the wind and rain.

We were going to go out this afternoon but the minute I looked out it started pouring and the wind really kicked up- The kids would have been soaked at pickup times so really not worth it.
                Each day is a fresh start
                Never look back on regrets
                Live life to the fullest
                We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                  I'm so glad to hear someone else that knows what I'm talking about. We have no cover outside and when the wind hits its just miserable. All the parents were bundling kids up today and everyone was saying how miserably cold it was with the wind and rain.

We were going to go out this afternoon but the minute I looked out it started pouring and the wind really kicked up- The kids would have been soaked at pickup times so really not worth it.

We passed on our outdoor play in the afternoon as well! With the cold wind in addition to the downpours we had it was totally miserable and not worth the hassle! I broke out the tent and play tunnels and we went "camping"

Comment

Just a tought - What if you had a tiny shelter built with an open front. You could put a little table in there, maybe a little play kitchen, a sandbox and some little trucks.
                    You could have messy play in there. The kids could make mudpies and pretend to cook rocks or leaves. You could also use the space for messy activities. The kids could blow bubbles in there too.
                    The kids will get fresh air and being out of their normal space will change their minds a little.
                    It wouldn't need to be fancy so you could probably do it cheap. Even have the kids do artwork on the inside walls or paint a wall with chalkboard paint and let them draw.

Comment

Working...
                    X