Do Any Of You Take ALOT Of Trainings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Any Of You Take ALOT Of Trainings

In the next two months I have the opportunity to take 13 different trainings. I love, love, love to learn and love to take trainings/classes to help me with childcare.

Down fall is thats 13 evenings/Saturdays that I'm away from my family. Some are an hours drive as thats where the main office is and they offer wonderful classes there. We struggle to get good classes for our area. In a way though its kinda like "me" time and something I enjoy. I take at least one training a month sometimes two depending on whats available.

Would you go for it or not?
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

My state requires 10 hours a year.

I take about 25.

Comment

We have to have 4 hours a year. This year I'm probably already up to 20.

Maybe I'll suggest they do some on non-nappers! That is one training I've never seen done and the one I need the most-
      Live life to the fullest

Comment

Does taking six courses toward my AA degree in Early Childhood education between now and May count? Because that is the training ahead of me
        "God said, ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"
        Acts 13:22

Comment

Yes. I would do it.

1. "me" time is important, and if you feel this is how you get yours, you should do it

2. Taking trainings that are based on "current" research are very valuable tools to have under your belt

3. I find taking trainings to be refreshing, rejuvinating and good sources of networking with other professionals and making new friends who can relate to the ins and outs of your day

4. I just like it. And that's all the reason I NEED!

Comment

Honestly, I take the minimum required.

There are several reasons but the first being that I already commit 11 hours per day to this job. The LAST thing I want to do is go to an evening class and talk about it more. But part of it might also be the trainings offerred here. I found that a lot of them were being taught by college girls who haven't spent a day with kids and they were so impractical. One suggested a good activity would be to make mud and let the kids spread it all over the outdoor play equipment. Really? Another taught us to make dream catchers. Again really? Half the women couldn't even figure the project out and we are supposed to do this with prechoolers? The last lecture was about a women who had brain cancer. While her story was interesting it had NOTHING not. one. thing. to do with childcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
              Yes. I would do it.

1. "me" time is important, and if you feel this is how you get yours, you should do it

2. Taking trainings that are based on "current" research are very valuable tools to have under your belt

3. I find taking trainings to be refreshing, rejuvinating and good sources of networking with other professionals and making new friends who can relate to the ins and outs of your day

4. I just like it. And that's all the reason I NEED!
              I agree....I LOVE trainings but 13 is a lot!

Comment

I take the minimum. In Iowa that's 12 hours but since I'm certified in Childnet and QRS I have to take 16 on top of CPR and MANDT. 2 have to be on health and safety but they are letting our food program count towards that for now. 6 have to be in a group setting and that's the part I don't like. Our main office is nearby so a lot of classes are accessible to me and CCRR charges less than $10 a class. I usually pay more for classes offered online through approved agencies because I feel like I get more out of them. The ladies that teach ours at CCRR are knowledgeable for the most part and some have even done daycare but they "dumb down" the classes do much it makes me want to slam my head into the table. They have to do this I think because a majority of providers have no more than a high school education or less (not judging just saying). When I've taken their classes it's obvious why they have to teach it at what seems to be an 8th grade level. I think there is such a thing as a stupid question, at least from an adult who should know better and I just want to scream "listen when she answers you so you don't keep asking the same question over and over again! The answers not going to change just because you reworded the question!" Sorry this ended up being my rant!

Comment

The only way I would recommend you take all those training is if it something that is truly relaxing and enjoyable for you.
                  You've already got so much going on that I would really hesitate to add anything else to your schedule otherwise

Comment

30 hours in Texas!!! 20% instructor led, 80% self directed. CPR, 1st aide not included.

Comment

Originally posted by momofsix View Post
                      The only way I would recommend you take all those training is if it something that is truly relaxing and enjoyable for you.
                      You've already got so much going on that I would really hesitate to add anything else to your schedule otherwise
                      Thats the thing I have sooooo much going on but nothing for me-literally nothing.

I was invited to a zumba class 2 nights a week but it starts right at 5:30 and I usually have kids till 5:20-5:30 and then for another two weeks we have the paper route. Also, I HATE walking into anything late so I wouldn't get there there till 5:45 or so once the routes done but I just hate that.
                      Live life to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                        We have to have 4 hours a year. This year I'm probably already up to 20.

Maybe I'll suggest they do some on non-nappers! That is one training I've never seen done and the one I need the most-
                        It's 8 hours. Unless your county is different than mine. But I thought it was according to the STATE. I know that I have to take 8 hours. The classes are usually 2 hours each, so 4 classes... but 8 hours total. Plus First Aid, and plus Foodhandler's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                          It's 8 hours. Unless your county is different than mine. But I thought it was according to the STATE. I know that I have to take 8 hours. The classes are usually 2 hours each, so 4 classes... but 8 hours total. Plus First Aid, and plus Foodhandler's.
                          I have to have 8 hours every two years so I figure 4 hours a year. Is getting easier to get those 8 hours as we have a great provider network now and we get about an hour a month in trainings 10 months of the year!happyface
                          Live life to the fullest

Comment

I take every class offered to me. I love them lovethis

BUT I pay to take mine online since my CCR&R only offers the "good ones" (as opposed to "Making puppets with tp rolls 101" ) 2.5 hours away and during the work week :confused::confused:

I completed 138 hours so far this year. Now I need them to update the course catalog!! I am bored waiting. It is my mental stimulation for the day. ::

I have started peeking at my local colleges continuing ed dept, too. Being trapped at home is dulling my spirit this year....I am restless.

All the DCK's have become too self sufficient and I have three more years with this group. ::::
                            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by nanglgrl View Post
                              I usually pay more for classes offered online through approved agencies because I feel like I get more out of them. The ladies that teach ours at CCRR are knowledgeable for the most part and some have even done daycare but they "dumb down" the classes do much it makes me want to slam my head into the table. !
                              I can so relate. ::::::

Even with the online ones, I can often mute the lecture and still score 100% on the test.

About once every 3 lectures will I hear something sightly "new". Some are so laughingly outdated, but still mandatory, it is no wonder newer providers are so confused on "up to date" discipline procedures.
                              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X