No announcement yet.

Would You Have The Family Pay For This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Have The Family Pay For This?

I discovered today that my dcb (4.5) BROKE a toy on Wednesday. I thought it had just come apart and I set it aside to deal with later. Well today I looked at it and it turns out that it is broken. Probably unfixable--a plastic support piece snapped.

It's this: Playskool Peek n Play Discovery Dome

He was JUMPING on top of it and it broke. He ought to know better than to jump on things...he's been told often enough!

So now I'm really mad; I liked that toy and it was one of my son's favorite things...and we bought it for DD when she was a baby. Of course, it's not made any more and can you believe it?! Selling for like $200 on eBay!

So would you ask the parents to pay for the damages? And how much? I don't remember how much we bought it for...
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

I'm guessing that because you bought it for your daughter and now your son is playing with it, and because it has been discontinued, that it is pretty old and not in brand new condition. You can't ask the family to pay for a whole new one. Just ask your insurance company how much they would give you if your car were a total loss. It wouldn't be the price of a brand new car,i can tell you that.

So if this toy is beyond repair, you could ask the family to pay part of the cost of a new one, but judging by what you wrote, it doesn't sound like the toy can no longer be played with. And really, is it worth possibly building up some resentment from this family for just a few bucks?

I would bring up the fact that the toy was broken so that between you and the parents, y'all can come up with a plan to help him better follow directions and obey the rules

Comment

I'd have them pay for it. It may not have been intentional but it was definitely preventable, he was not using it in the way he should have, he's been warned before and he's old enough to know better.

I'd have them pay at least $100, no matter how much you actually paid for it, because that's half the price to replace it now.

And dcb would be excused from my breakable toys for a couple days. Some kids think if it's a toy there's no limit on how to play with it.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't. I see broken toys as the price of doing business. I don't put out anything in the day care area for the kids to play with that I don't want to risk being damaged. I can see where you might want to, though. Do you have anything in your contract that addresses broken toys?

Comment

I would never ask a parent to pay for something their child broke while in my care. They have no ability to intervene while they are not there. I believe it is my job as a provider to prevent those types of things from happening, especially if I am well aware that the undesirable behavior is problematic for that child.

We have very little free play at my day home and are usually working in groups. I find doing things that way, broken toys and items are very rare.

As a parent, I would also not pay for something my child broke while in care when I was not there.

Comment

I wouldn't ask the parents to pay for it. If I didn't want something to get broken and risk the children damaging something, I wouldn't offer it for them to play with.
            The other day, one of my Leap Pads got broken when the child pulled apart the pen. I will not ask the parent to replace it as I took the risk. Sure I'm pissed about it, but I couldn't be one-on-one with her to guarantee she wouldn't be curious about how the pen worked. Heck, I didn't even think she would do such a thing, anyhow.

On the other hand, if a child willfully broke something in rage, I might consider having the parents reimburse me.

Comment

I wouldn't ask the parents to pay.

I would call Playskool and ask if they have the replacement part. If not, I would try to repair it with super glue and duct tape.

Comment

I hope I don't sound insensitive but there are some things that popped into my mind immediately.

You're responsible for watching the child and now allowing him to destroy things. If an accident happens then I don't see how the parent is liable. You are the adult who allowed him access to your childs toy. I would have separate toys for dck's and not allow them access to my own children's belongings. If you must because it allows you the luxury of earning income why being a stay at home mother; consider yourself lucky and replace the toy on your own if it is that important. Consider if it was a family heirloom vase he broke? Or a diamond ring? If it is something important then you don't allow access to it. If the child will have access under your watch then breaks it; I don't see how the parent can be responsible for it. Children destroy things, act out, have funky days. Discipline, yes. Asking for money? No.

If this is an issue isn't there some type of daycare insurance that covers things like this? I do feel badly that it was broken. I am sorry it costs so much to replace. But ultimately my feelings are not really on the fence with this one.
                “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Comment

found something similar...
                  if you are going to have them replace it, this is around $100, not as nice but kinda the same sorta toy

Ok, just checked and they are currently unavailable but ebay has a used one like yours for $90

Comment

Because he didn't intentionally break the toy, I don't think you should ask the parents to pay.

It sounds like he played with it incorrectly, had an accident, and part of doing daycare is assuming the risk for normal wear and tear as well as sometimes, kids just being kids.

I WOULD ask for payment if the child DELIBERATELY broke the toy as a way to be defiant toward you. But those behavioral issues were never tolerated long enough to get to the point of a child deliberately breaking things, in my care.

Another thing: Consider this. In your contract, you should have a clause where you ask parents NOT to allow children to bring toys into the daycare. If the child should bring toys ANYWAY, you wouldn't assume the risk for the broken toy, right? Because if the toy was lost/taken by another kid/destroyed, it would be an accident. The same should go for the parent. Your toys are provided for the dc kids' use. If your toys disappear, get destroyed or taken by another child, parents should not have to assume responsibility for the toys either. It goes BOTH ways. The only incidents that I think SHOULD be payable are deliberate acts.

Comment

no, I would not ask them to pay for it. Unfortunately broken toys come with the territory in this business and I find it is MY responsibility to make sure they are played with properly, not the parents since they are not here during that time.

Comment

Thank you for the input. I wasn't thinking of asking for the reimbursement of another one NOW, that would be crazy! I'm not buying a new one. (Unless I find it at Once Upon a Child someday).

It was more the principle of the thing and I wrote the post in anger. *sigh* It was better than yelling at him (though we did have a very stern conversation about why we do. not. do. that.) since he's here today.

I was thinking for along the lines of what it *did* cost.

I didn't ever think that a heavy 4 year old would decide to jump on TOP of it while I was trying to get other kids out the door. Ordinarily I don't let them have stuff that might get broken--again, this one didn't occur to me.

It's a baby toy and it was actually in new condition. Used through two kids and a host of daycare kids and it was perfect...not a stain or a scratch or a tear. One of the poles supporting the top snapped though.

This is NOT the first toy this boy has broken through deliberate misuse and usually I don't mention it to his parents. This one...just takes the cake.

I do have a paragraph about deliberate breakage or breakage from misuse...so I'm backed up by the contract, but I doubt I'll actually ask for any compensation.

I'm just angry and sad.
                        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                          Thank you for the input. I wasn't thinking of asking for the reimbursement of another one NOW, that would be crazy! I'm not buying a new one. (Unless I find it at Once Upon a Child someday).

It was more the principle of the thing and I wrote the post in anger. *sigh* It was better than yelling at him (though we did have a very stern conversation about why we do. not. do. that.) since he's here today.

I was thinking for along the lines of what it *did* cost.

I didn't ever think that a heavy 4 year old would decide to jump on TOP of it while I was trying to get other kids out the door. Ordinarily I don't let them have stuff that might get broken--again, this one didn't occur to me.

It's a baby toy and it was actually in new condition. Used through two kids and a host of daycare kids and it was perfect...not a stain or a scratch or a tear. One of the poles supporting the top snapped though.

This is NOT the first toy this boy has broken through deliberate misuse and usually I don't mention it to his parents. This one...just takes the cake.

I do have a paragraph about deliberate breakage or breakage from misuse...so I'm backed up by the contract, but I doubt I'll actually ask for any compensation.

I'm just angry and sad.
                          I don't blame you for being angry. If the item was in perfect shape it doesn't matter if it was a few years old - you could have sold it to OUAC or at a yard sale for a good price eventually. But unfortunately dc kids do take a toll on our homes and toys. I would for sure bring it up to the parents - if for no other reason than to let them know they need to have a firm discussion with the child about proper play. I would not ask for repayment but would want them to know. Sorry

Comment

I know how frustrating this type of thing can be. My couch had a tiny tear at the seam but it was really not noticeable to anyone. One day last summer a sab was sitting on the floor by my couch when I noticed he had his finger in the tear and it was now huge. I just looked at him in disbelief and asked him if he realized that my couch was now irreparable. We had a discussion about valuing my home and furnishings as this wasn't the first thing be had ruined.) I didn't talk to his parents about it because his dcm acted irritated whenever I would try to discuss his behavior. I swear by the summers end I vowed I wouldn't take another sak. I don't know why some dck are so destructive and others just aren't. I have a few theories though....

Comment

Wow, I am the extreme minority here!

I still would have them pay for some portion of it. If the child had been playing with it the correct way, or he had fallen on it, or it was wearing out and it broke...I wouldn't even mention it to the parents.

But there are no other variables here...it's broken because he decided to jump on it. It seems to be a pretty expensive toy, plus it had sentimental value.

I'm sorry Silver, that it happened. I'd be angry and sad too.

Comment

Working...
                              X