Help...Homeowners Insurance Policy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...Homeowners Insurance Policy!!!

I just called my agent for my home owners insurance to add an umbrella policy for my in home daycare and they stated the company I have my policy does NOT do that and now that they know I have a daycare they are going to cancel my policy. I am a licensed daycare, able to watch up to 8 children in New York State. What am I going to do? We own our 2400 sq ft home and HAVE to have home owners insurance. Please help me! Who else has a policy with a home daycare?
    Proud Mommy of Six...

I had the same problem-homeowners doesn't cover home daycare & would drop me when I opened. I looked at a bunch of companies and all of them said no. Finally found insurance with West Bend Mutual & Michigan Insurance Company. West Bend covers business liability at $400 a year while Michigan Insurance Company covers the home at $1600 a year.

It's pricey but it was the only option for me at the time. Everybody else said no.

You may have better luck, hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

Comment

This happened to me while I was with Progressive..I ended going with Allstate and got a very good deal and liability through them.

Comment

Here is a list of insurance people from Tom Copeland's blog.

Comment

American Family knew I had a daycare and didn't cancel my homeowner's, so maybe them. I have State Farm now, but I'm not entirely sure I've ever mentioned to my agent about the daycare, but he knows me personally so I'm sure he knows about it.

I've always carried a separate policy for the daycare, though, so that may make a difference as to whether a company will insure your home or not.

Comment

I have my homeowners insurance with Farm Bureau in Michigan and my daycare policy at CASC insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
              I have my homeowners insurance with Farm Bureau in Michigan and my daycare policy at CASC insurance.
              Same here. My Farm Bureau agent took care of everything for me through CASC. I pay $500/year for the child care liability insurance. I am licensed for 12.

Comment

I think each company differs by state....

I am covered by all-state and am fine here in CA. My friend who is in Colorado cannot get the same coverage I have through all-state there for her daycare and home owners..

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyDay View Post
                  Same here. My Farm Bureau agent took care of everything for me through CASC. I pay $500/year for the child care liability insurance. I am licensed for 12.
                  Are you in Michigan?

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyDay View Post
                    Mine was $520 and I'm licensed for 6. It went way up because I have an above ground pool (which we don't even use for daycare).

Comment

You get on the phone and start calling. We were canceled once. They decided they would not cover houses with wood stoves.

State farm at the time would insure us but only for 4 children I was licensed for 10 I understand they now write childcare policies and cover for more children

We Went with MO Farm Bureau they covered us BUT I had to sign a waiver they do not covery ANY thing to do with the business. so I have a policy for that elsewhere.
                      It:: will wait

Comment

I am ny too, I believe state farm covers up to six children...I have met life, not sure if I told them about my child care....I actually just switched to the insurance that black cat recommended...

http://www.acainc.org/acaHomePage.html

The insurance page was down when I just checked it, hope that's not a bad sign

Comment

Mine was $520 and I'm licensed for 6. It went way up because I have an above ground pool (which we don't even use for daycare).
                          Yes, I am in MI, too. We have no pool, not even a wading pool. We also do not do any transportation. I can't remember the other questions they asked, but we are pretty low risk around here

Comment

Really? I have FB for my homeowners and they wouldn't insure me unless I had 6 kids total enrolled[/B] Even though I have only 6 at a time I have more than that enrolled. My FB agent set me up with another insurer for DC-otherwise they would have dropped me once they found out about the daycare.

I might have to call my guy back and have him check with his higher ups!

edit!
                            oops I didn't read carefully! Sorry! And I can't delete the post! I have CSAC for daycare too, $390/year.

Comment

I have State Farm (someone else mentioned them). All the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X