Food Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Allergies

How do you handle food allergies in your daycare? Do you require a note from the childs doctor or do you take the parents word for it? Is it even legal to require a doctors note for food allergies? Do you not serve the allergic item at all? Or do you just not serve it to that particular child?

I ask because at the center we had a child who was "allergic" to chocolate, yet would come in eating chocolate items regularly. For his birthday his parents sent in chocolate cupcakes. I asked the parents what they would like me to serve their child while the other children were eating cupcakes. They looked shocked that I wouldn't give him a chocolate cupcake-I told them they could either change the allergy information on his card, or take the cupcakes home-but that I would not give their child an item that they had told us he was allergic to. In the end they refused to change his card and I refused to serve the cupcakes (cause I didn't want him to be the only kid eating something different on his birthday. I did go get vanilla Oreo's and we had those for his birthday snack).

Personally I would like to have a doctors note or some kind of documentation regarding a childs food allergy but I'm not sure if I can.

That being said, if a parent hands me an epi-pen jr for a peanut allergy I can be pretty sure it's a legitimate allergy.

Doctors note for my file.

We are a nut free zone, and one of my children is allergic to nuts so in that instance we do not serve what the child is allergic to.
    I have Celiacs and I am allergic to gluten. We serve gluten at just about every meal. I just make sure it goes no where near my "gluten free counter."

Comment

For the food program you have to have a dr.'s note. Now if your not on the food program I guess just the parents word but I think I would require a note still from the doctors.
      Each day is a fresh start
      Never look back on regrets
      Live life to the fullest
      We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

I am the parent of a child with food allergies and I expect that they will ask me for a dr's note regarding her allergies. It is a pain, but most providers need it. You should also ask what to do in case they ingest the item. Will it cause a severe allergic reaction, runny bm, stomach pain, hives, etc. This way you can also be on the alert if something comes up. For instance, my daughter is allergic to eggs. She can't even help bake because she gets a painful swollen rash anywhere the egg touches her skin. She can eat some items with egg in it, but other items cause problems. Like she's okay with cake, but not with some prepared spaghetti or ice creams. I always give the provider benadryl with the doctor's note that includes the dosing and directions. Just in case. She's also lactose sensitive. So I provide lactaid milk but usually nothing else is required.

I'm not sure that answered your questions, but as a parent, I'm sure they expect to provide documentation.

Comment

When I did care in my home, I took the parents' word about the allergy. The only allergy a daycare child of mine ever had was to milk. I just served him things that did not have milk as an ingredient and his mom brought him soy milk and sometimes soy pudding or yogurt.

Now, my daughter has a peanut allergy. So I get a note from the doctor for her to have an epi-pen in case she ingests peanuts accidentally at school or summer camp. For school, I am also sending Benedryl to be taken in conjunction with the epi-pen as noted by the doctor. The school nurse lets the teachers know about the allergy.

I now work in a center where the parents send all food. We would need a doctor's order for any medication needed for an allergy. It is also on the enrollment forms to list allergies so that teachers in the classrooms will know about it. I have not had any kids with allergies in my class yet.

Comment

I require a doctor's note and detailed instructions about the allergy.

Comment

Parents choice. The customer is always right

Every parent knows their child and what things make them have to have their nappy changed 20 tims in a day.
              I know my son can eat cheese and have yogurt but give him a glass of milk and he will will literally have diareah within minutes and for the rest of the day.
              My daycare asked for a doctors note which requires taking him off all dairy for 2 weeks to test.

I said to th daycare "do vegans or vegetarians or people or certain religions require a doctors note?"

They stopped giving him milk and put a note on the classroom fridge.

Simple.

Some parents might prefer their kid didnt eat non organic meat or sugar... That is their choice.

Comment

Also...

There are sensitivities and allergies. Both should not be ignored.

I thought my son was really ill for months but it turns out they were giving him milk at school and had forgotten to tell new staff after the summer.

Sometimes I let him have ice cream or accidents happen with other kids around drinking milk... But ai just know we will pay for it later

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Every parent knows their child and what things make them have to have their nappy changed 20 tims in a day.
                  I know my son can eat cheese and have yogurt but give him a glass of milk and he will will literally have diareah within minutes and for the rest of the day.
                  My daycare asked for a doctors note which requires taking him off all dairy for 2 weeks to test.

I said to th daycare "do vegans or vegetarians or people or certain religions require a doctors note?"

They stopped giving him milk and put a note on the classroom fridge.

Simple.

Some parents might prefer their kid didnt eat non organic meat or sugar... That is their choice.

I'm sorry but the customer is NOT always right.

I do however agree it's the parents choice.

Their choice to follow my policies or not.
                  MY choice to continue providing services or not.

We all have choices. I think what most people forget is that ALL choices come with certain responsibilities, obligations and/or requirements.

That is the beauty of being a parent and being a self-employed business owner.

Oh, and for what it's worth....Yes! I require notes from ANY family that has a diet request that goes against or does not meet my food program requirements. Vegans, vegetarians, dairy issues, gluten issues etc......

Comment

I have pa rents list any alergys in the child's information when they start. So far I've never yet asked for a doctors note. I have a kid who is lactose sensetive he had eat it ok but for milk his parents provide his own lactosse free milk. I've also had a parent choose to send there own kids food she wanted him on a organic diet she still paid the same as the other parents just brought her own stuff. I'm not on any type of food program so it's not an issue. One kid as well I can feed cooked raspberrys but not fresh. For any thing requiring medication such as an epic pen then I would require a doctors note. I do let parents know that the environment is not nut free so if they have concerns about nuts at all to try it first before having the child start.

In the case in question I would ask the parents to have a note on file since they have brought their child a known alergent.

Comment

Many people say "allergy" when it's really an intolerance or sensitivity. Because DD has real (life threatening) allergies, if parent used that word, I would feel a bit nervous and require it in writing from the parent or dr note if it conflicted with the food program.

The lady who says the child is allergic to chocolate but sends a child with it sounds kinda crazy. But (1) I don't allow children to eat food from home here anyway and (2) I wouldn't find it hard to just not serve any chocolate items to the children. I only occasionally give chocolate milk or chocolate cereal. But I guess if you require parents to provide meals, that could get a bit weird.

If a child had true food allergies, I would think that they wouldn't want their child at a place that allowed kids to bring food from home. DD reacts to small amounts of coconut that she can't detect and require meds/epi for it.

Comment

I'm lenient with parents, but if a parent was adamant that their dck not ever have something, then I need a drs note.

If a parent says to me, "My child doesn't do well with strawberries," I will do my best to not serve dck strawberries. But no guarantees without a drs note.

Comment

Originally posted by Jupadia View Post
                          I have pa rents list any alergys in the child's information when they start. So far I've never yet asked for a doctors note. I have a kid who is lactose sensetive he had eat it ok but for milk his parents provide his own lactosse free milk. I've also had a parent choose to send there own kids food she wanted him on a organic diet she still paid the same as the other parents just brought her own stuff. I'm not on any type of food program so it's not an issue. One kid as well I can feed cooked raspberrys but not fresh. For any thing requiring medication such as an epic pen then I would require a doctors note. I do let parents know that the environment is not nut free so if they have concerns about nuts at all to try it first before having the child start.

In the case in question I would ask the parents to have a note on file since they have brought their child a known allergen.
                          I get the fresh vs cooked thing.. I have an allergy to fresh pineapple, yet I can eat it cooked... I have kids that can eat raspberries but are allergic to strawberries (not only Dr's note, but a # on how allergic to each fruit or veg)... I wish most families went to this extreme for allergies. Believe me, as an allergic daycare Nanna I get what the babies can go thru.

Part of the reason, I don't do the the food program... allergies can be a fine line even with a written note and some people accept what others don't... to me, it's not an acceptable risk when it causes issues like asthma or worse in people like me but I always ask for a DR's Note asking for specific allergies... I don't take parents word (I have been tested & have over 80 non food allergies alone, not to mention the 20+ food allergies)

Comment

If children have allergies, parents provide all foods. I have one little one who is allergic/intolerant to so many things that it's easier to list what he can have. Parents provided a list of items that he is ok with and if I am serving something from the list, then I offer it to him. They send food each day and also leave a stock of items here.

I have a little one starting in a few months who might have an egg allergy. Parents will be leaving alternatives here for me to have on hand as substitutes.

I don't require a note but parents provide all the food options/alternatives. I am not on a food program. If I was on a food program and/or providing all food, then I would require a doctor's note before I made any substitutions. As it is, I have celiacs so prepping 2 separate meals (family/daycare and myself) is enough for me.

Comment

Here in MD regs say that if a child has an allergy we must have documentation from the allergist with a written treatment plan . All must be filled out on the state forms and will be checked during inspections .

Comment

Working...
                              X