No announcement yet.

HELP!! New Child Has Screamed ALL day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! New Child Has Screamed ALL day!

I had a 9 1/2 month old start dc with me today. She has screamed NON STOP all day! Unless I hold her. no nap, nothing! Any suggestions??? I ampraying this gets better, but I don't know if I can take this. One day alone ahs been a nightmare!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I had a 9 1/2 month old start dc with me today. She has screamed NON STOP all day! Unless I hold her. no nap, nothing! Any suggestions??? I ampraying this gets better, but I don't know if I can take this. One day alone ahs been a nightmare!
    Its up to you if you think it is just a transitioning thing or if you think she may just be a spoiled screamer. It is hard to break kids that age of the "hold mes" so if you arent up to the challenge, it would be better to let her go right now. It could be a long few weeks to get her out of this habit.

Comment

Agree with the other poster. I won't take new babies that age. It is right in the middle of separation anxiety phase. Kids that age who have typically not been in daycare are by moms that couldn't fathom going back to work, they have guilt and may hold the kids all the time.

But when they start getting heavier and more demanding they realize they can't do it and suddenly find a job and NEED to go back to work. So you get a child that all they know is they have been held by momma, possibly not been around alot of other kids or socialized and you have a BAD situation.

So I would give it another day and drop her. I have been in the same situation and it doesn't get better.

I only take infants under 6 months for new kids. Great age and they aren't too attached yet to any specific caregiver and you can fit right in. Any older than that and you have your hands full. I am sorry but that is just my experience. It's also not fair to the other kids in the house.

I also have a rule, if a kid screams for than 3 hours they are automatically sent home. I can not hold a baby all day or expect the other kids to deal with that screaming.

Wish you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I have been there (and some days still am)! My resident screamer (now 9 months) just adjusted and it's been 4 1/2 months now. Honestly its been no easy task and unless you knew DCK before if you walked in today most people still think DCK cries alot but in comparison it's so much better! DCK literally cried every moment and barely slept for the first month, then (after advice from the ladies here) I was able to get DCK onto our nap routine and finally (finally!!) over time DCK playing and doesn't cry every second. There is still crying often but it's more like 1/4 the day verse the entire day! Because of this situation I increased my trial period from 2 weeks to 30days in my contract!

The parent's really worked with me, they did their best to put DCK down and let DCK know it was ok to play alone (they would hold 24/7 and never let play alone). They also worked to get (and keep) on a routine. Before they had no routine, some days DCK would arrived dead tired and other days just woke up (which wreaked havoc on my nap time with the screaming). I honestly don't think I'd still have this kid if DCP didn't work so hard. It's hard but you have to be consistent, I rarely picked DCK up, unless necessary. I spent time sitting by DCK while playing and gradually increased my distance. Now I can actually walk away without tears! happyface

...man I hope I didn't just jinx myself! I don't want DCK to show up tomorrow and start screaming! !

Ps I've noticed recently that the "who loves baby" photo book that DCP have started to send actually helps sometimes

Comment

Working...
        X