Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You DON'T Collect A Deposit... WHY???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You DON'T Collect A Deposit... WHY???

So many times here we read about families leaving owing money.... I am wondering why?? Why doesn't everyone collect up front?? There is virtually no way for a family to leave me owing money - and I've had some leave w/o notice, last minute, stop showing up without telling me, etc. etc.

I know many of us DO require deposits but for those who do not, can I simply ask.... why not???????

No one else around here does it

If I tried, I would have no clients.
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Because I am super picky about the families I enroll in the first place.

I make ALL my rules and policies VERY clear from the get go, I make sure that I speak up at the slightlest indication of veering from my normal policies and rules and don't let things slide.

I have VERY respectful parents and (knock on wood) but in all the years since I have tweaked my interviewing routine to be on MY terms....I have not had one single parent leave owing me a dime.

If it ever gets to the point that I feel I need to require a deposit, I may entertain the idea but for now, I have families who begin at birth and age out of my program and then new ones (from word of mouth) waiting to fill the spaces.

I haven't been stiffed for money since 1998 and that is a story all in itself! The red flags were there from the beginning but I choose to ignore then and paid the price.

So basically to answer your question, I don't charge a deposit because I haven't had to and so far, that is working for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
        So many times here we read about families leaving owing money.... I am wondering WHY?? Why doesn't everyone collect up front?? There is virtually no way for a family to leave me owing money - and I've had some leave w/o notice, last minute, stop showing up without telling me, etc. etc.

I know many of us DO require deposits but for those who do not, can I simply ask.... WHY NOT???????
        I just haven't built it into my program. It's not the "norm" in my area. If I would say: "oh yeah I need a $250 deposit....." I really believe they would laugh and move on to the provider down the road that charges next to nothing for care. I'm lucky to get them in at my rate.

Also payment is due on Friday, AFTER services have been rendered. I would love to change it to prepay, but once again its not the norm here.

So far I have been fortunate not to have someone leave me empty handed.

Comment

I'm in a small town and no one around here does it.

I have been lucky that I have never had someone that has given me notice or that I have given notice to not pay me or just quit showing up. All most all of my kids age out of my daycare.

Comment

My parents prepay on monday for the next 2 weeks of care and I am really picky about who I provide care for. To be honest a deposit would end up being more of a hassle for me than it is worth.

Comment

I never have. In 28 years, I've only had two families walk away without paying. The first one (15 yrs ago) was worth it, big time. The second happened this summer. It was only $45, so I'm not going to pursue it.

I just started prepay this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                Because I am super picky about the families I enroll in the first place.

Me too.

I don't have many rules. I am incredibly flexible. But, I only take families who were referred to me from old families. I don't even advertise. So, I get good families.

If they needed to leave suddenly, I let them go. I have had only one family who lost a job, and I didn't ask them to pay me that week, or any week until he found a new job. They came back because I am willing to work with them.

Comment

When I started I didn't know if I would get any families and so I made it as easy as possible for them to sign up with me. I haven't had any leave yet but I don't believe any of my families would leave owing money. I have fantastic families that are very respectful and responsible. I think, like me, they would never consider not paying a bill, especially for a personal service like daycare. Maybe one day I'll get burned but I'm not too worried about it for now.

Comment

Very few charge enrollment and deposits fees in my area.

I only had one bad experience with people trying to leave with no notice and I got my money anyway.

I dont charge a deposit.

Comment

I am real picky about the families that I enroll (as some of the other providers here). I do not charge a deposit. I only have one family currently and I think my hours don't work for a lot of people...but they work for me!!! That is the most important thing (your program and it has to work for you).

My hour are 0600 - 1600 / M-F.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                        So many times here we read about families leaving owing money.... I am wondering WHY?? Why doesn't everyone collect up front?? There is virtually no way for a family to leave me owing money - and I've had some leave w/o notice, last minute, stop showing up without telling me, etc. etc.

I know many of us DO require deposits but for those who do not, can I simply ask.... WHY NOT???????
                        ...because I haven't been in this business very long and I was desperate for clients in the beginning.

And, you never think that it's going to happen to you. But here I stand, and it has. Bummer. Will be doing deposits from now on. I don't think it's fair to ask for deposits from my current families, though. But I am *hoping* that my current families will be with me for the long haul. I don't plan on doing this for long.

Comment

I don't charge a deposit. It's not the norm in my area. My families pay me on Monday for that week and I make it clear in interviews that if payment is not received by Tuesday at the latest, they will be turned away at the door on Wednesday. So, if it were to happen (which it hasn't), I would only be out $70 for care provided.

Comment

I had someone leave owing $200. After that family, I changed my policy.

Parents pay for the last two weeks of care in advance. That deposit can be applied if they provide me with a written 2 week notice (as specified in my Parent Handbook AND notice attached to the enrollment form). All new clients have paid it just fine upfront. No issues at all.

Comment

I have never charged a deposit either. Some providers in my area require a deposit, but it's not a full two weeks or even a week's pay. It's like $25-$50 to hold a spot.

I require two weeks' notice, and I haven't had a problem with getting it. The only time I've been left without money was when I tried to work with a single mom for drop-in. She was supposed to come pay me another day, and she kept coming up with excuses. So, I am wary now of trying to work with anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X