Wood Or Cardboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Or Cardboard

So im pricing blocks for my daycare and let me just start off by saying OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These blocks are high as a cats back! But ill pay it with a grimace er I mean smile. But my question is what would be my best bet? Starting out I wont have a large center so I was thinking cardboard. Thoughts.....

what age group are you targeting? I like having a variety of choices rather than just one kind. Wafffle blocks, bristle blocks, connecting cubes like trio, foam textured blocks, and wooden blocks. I have had excellent luck with craigslist. Preschools and daycare close they sell their toys really cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by GotKids View Post
      what age group are you targeting? I like having a variety of choices rather than just one kind. Wafffle blocks, bristle blocks, connecting cubes like trio, foam textured blocks, and wooden blocks. I have had excellent luck with craigslist. Preschools and daycare close they sell their toys really cheap.
      To be honest i never knew there were so many diffrent kinds or maybe i just dont recongnize the names (waffle blocks:confused. My ideal ages would be preschool. Ill have to try craigslist thanks!

Comment

I would go wood for sure. I got by blocks at a church yard sale. I got a huge box full for $10.00! So keep your eye out for deals...they are out there.

Comment

If I were starting a new preschool, and had a small budget, I'd spend it all on three things: blocks, art supplies, and books. Good blocks are worth every penny. I'd buy the biggest, best set of wood unit blocks I could afford first. (Mine are from Community Playthings, and are maple. Pine aren't worth the money; they'll eventually chip or splinter, and are too light to build well).

I started with infants and toddlers, and so began with two sets of cardboard bricks. A good start. But by the time they're 3 or so, I want wood blocks (though the big kids still enjoy the bricks, because of their size). I spent a whole year's toy budget on a nice big set.

In my opinion, all the other kinds of blocks are fun accessories, but basic unit blocks are essential.

Comment

@lise thanks you very good info! thank you all!

Comment

I agree, go with wood! It was one of my first daycare purchases, and they are not cheap. I think you could probably find a good deal on Craigslist. Over time, I added to my "building" area. I now have wooden blocks, wooden train track set, duplo legos, mega "bloks," Lincoln Logs, and magna tiles (which are incredibly expensive and nearly impossible to find on Craigslist). My kids also love building with the math manipulatives (like pattern blocks and peg boards).

Comment

My wooden blocks were the best investment I ever made inan item for my children. The cardboard blocks are cool too, but they do get torn up.

I say buy the wooden blcoks and then go to USPS (postal service) and order (for free) cardboard packing boxes and wrap them in plain paper.

Comment

We have lots of different blocks, but the least expensive are the ones we made using milk cartons. I asked the parents to save their cartons for me and we ended up with more than enough Cut the tops off, wash and let air dry thoroughly, put one inside the other and that's it. I thought I would use packing tape on the ends if I had to, but after about 6 months no one has tried to pick them apart. You can also cover them with wrapping paper or whatever you like...just wrap them like a gift. These are very popular with my group (ages 20 months - 7). Here is a simple tutorial:

When I was a kid, I can remember my mom buying milk in glass bottles, in bags, and then in cartons.  It wasn't until I was older that she sw...

Comment

I eventually want some wooden unit blocks but with mostly 2 year olds I have two kids, 1 more than the other who gets upset quickly and throws things so no way would I get wooden blocks until winter when they're 3. I would also want to section off my block area more than it is now so if throwing wooden blocks occurs I could more easily restrict a child from playing in that corner.

Right now the kids LOVE these foam covered vinyl blocks. They're expensive from websites online but I found some at a daycare closing sale. I also found some vintage fisher price blocks that the kids ended up showing me all the ways they connect because I only knew of one way they would stack. If I ever find blocks at a thrift shop that look like new I will buy them and clean them up, especially if they're rare to find type of item.

Sometime I want to get the double set of little tikes waffle blocks from their site, but for now I have the smaller waffle blocks that we have not even had out yet. I really want the large ones though they're $120 or so. Not in the budget right now.

Comment

Our center's unit blocks are 2x4's that someone cut into the various sizes then sanded down the edges. Ours are getting to the point where they need some attention, mostly because they didn't take the time to put on a clear coat of sealant on them. I have a home daycare friend who made her own unit blocks with 2x4's but she did a coat of sealant on them after sanding the edges so they don't splinter and can be sanitized.

Comment

Homemade blocks are the way to go while you look for deals on the other types. Wooden blocks are very pricey.
                        You can make blocks out of all kinds of boxes of all different sizes. Stuff them with paper and cover with contact paper. I know some providers that customize their blocks by putting pictures on them, or letters or numbers.
                        I also have some "sponge" blocks. I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a bunch of those large rectangular colored car sponges.
                        If you know someone with a tree they've recently cut, you can get you some tree blocks and tree cookies. Get parents to help you.

Comment

We have a bagillion homemade box blocks. They were made and donated to us by United Way.

They are shoeboxes, mailing boxes and even gift boxes, stuffed with newspaper and wrapped in different colored Contact Paper.

Awesome and wayyy more durable than the crappy cardboard ones you have to buy, figure out how to put together and keep the kids from taking apart

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                            Sometime I want to get the double set of little tikes waffle blocks from their site, but for now I have the smaller waffle blocks that we have not even had out yet. I really want the large ones though they're $120 or so. Not in the budget right now.
                            I have two sets! I bought them on CL for $50! My kids absolutely LOVE them!
                            I also have these types of blocks
                            • wooden blocks (my DH made them and I have approx 1500 pieces)
                            • giant Duplo blocks (fills an 18 gallon tub)
                            • regular sized Duplo blocks (15 sets)
                            • regular sized Waffle blocks (atleast 10 sets)
                            • foam blocks (both large and small)
                            • small Lego blocks
                            • bristle blocks
                            • window blocks (some with windows and others filled with sand or liquid)
                            • cardboard brick blocks

The giant Waffle blocks are the most played with blocks I have. They kids love seeing what they can make with them. Here is a "pirate ship"
                            Last edited by Blackcat31; 10-12-2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Gosh I remember many years ago when I first started in childcare.. I had my parents to collect washing powder boxes for me... I stuffed paper etc in them, and covered them with contact shelf paper.. the kids Loved them and they were so fun to make

Comment

Working...
                              X