Suggestions For Play-Doh Mess Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions For Play-Doh Mess Control

I feel like we have tried everything we know to keep the Play-Doh mess under control when we bring it out for the 20 minutes of tabletop play at the end of the day. It gets everywhere, but is the most requested item for tabletop play so I can't avoid it (nor do I want to).

Is there a certain way that you contain the mess that is Play-Doh?

I'm going to try it in a big sensory bin as a last ditch effort to see if we can contain some of the 348934893 little crumbs that come off of it and get ground into the tile.

I treat it like a meal. The kids have to sit at the eating table in their booster seats and they need to let me know when they are done. That way, it's contained in the same way a meal is contained. In the end, I spray off the table, wipe, and sweep up the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by spud912 View Post
      I treat it like a meal. The kids have to sit at the eating table in their booster seats and they need to let me know when they are done. That way, it's contained in the same way a meal is contained. In the end, I spray off the table, wipe, and sweep up the floor.
      Maybe some of my children are too squirmy. Their seats don't stay right up next to the table and it ends up everywhere. These are not infants or toddlers.

Comment

I can't get away from the mess either. I just don't allow for the kids to take out more than one color at a time. So each kid can have one can and that is it. If they want another one, they have to put it away first. It still gets on the floor and when I see it on the floor I say....everyone stop and floor clean up.

All of the kids stop to clean it up and if you don't, then you won't get to play with the play dough anymore.

Comment

I find homemade is less messy and crumbly than store-bought.

What about putting a shower curtain or table cloth (dollar store) UNDER the work table and chairs... when the kiddos are done, shake it off outside, fold it up and store in a drawer until next time!

Comment

Originally posted by littlemissmuffet View Post

What about putting a shower curtain or table cloth (dollar store) UNDER the work table and chairs... when the kiddos are done, shake it off outside, fold it up and store in a drawer until next time!
            I bet that's it. I only use homemade playdoh and only one color at a time (I know, I'm no fun ). The kids all clean up their mess when they are done (they pat the table with their playdoh to pick up scraps, put it in the tupperware container, then put their tools in the zip-loc baggy).

The eating table I have is actually my dining table. Most kids use a booster seat except for one who is tall enough to reach on her own. They are all scooted in and have to let me know they are done before they get down.

Comment

Is there a recipe for homemade that you would suggest?

We use the actual Play-Doh brand. It is a mess!

Comment

Originally posted by EntropyControlSpe******t View Post
                Is there a recipe for homemade that you would suggest?

We use the actual Play-Doh brand. It is a mess!
                Yes

1 cup flour
                1 cup water
                2 tbsp oil
                2 tsp cream of tartar
                1/2 cup salt
                food coloring, optional

Mix all ingredients over medium heat in a large saucepan until ball forms and leaves the sides of the pan. Store in air-tight container once cool.

Comment

You can actually just add another dab of oil to it if it starts to dry out. I think it works way better than the playdough brand. That stuff is a waste of money.

In the winter I do it at the table with a tablecloth. All kids must stay in their seat during playdough time. When finished I use my dirt devil vac to suck up the leftovers.

In the summer I toss the same tablecloth out on the deck and the kids play it out there. Then the birds/squirrels get the remainders and I don't feel guilty since its food based. ::

I have also made playdough with rice flour for those gluten free kiddos. Does not last as long but it helps to include everyone. Google it, Im sure there is a recipe somewhere. I can't remember mine.

Comment

Yes
                    1 cup flour
                    1 cup water
                    2 tbsp oil
                    2 tsp cream of tartar
                    1/2 cup salt
                    food coloring, optional

Mix all ingredients over medium heat in a large saucepan until ball forms and leaves the sides of the pan. Store in air-tight container once cool.

This is the recipe I use as well. I can't stand store bought play dough. I only put out one color at a time as well. If the kids are getting blobs on the floor then I make everyone stop and pick up the crumbs. It is still a mess even with my best efforts, but I guess that's just part of early childhood.happyface

Comment

I am going to try the homemade play doh, but I dont seem to have a huge problem with the Play doh brand stuff.

Comment

Yes

1 cup flour
                        1 cup water
                        2 tbsp oil
                        2 tsp cream of tartar
                        1/2 cup salt
                        food coloring, optional

I use this one as well. When I make it. I've been too lazy lately. I suggest adding a few drops of rubbing alcohol to the water to make.it keep longer. It makes it inedible, but my kids know not to eat playdough anyway.

I also found that limiting the number of colors available helps to cut down on the mess, because they're not constantly taking it out and putting it back. I only allow one color per kid.

Comment

This is what I do I've found that using a tablecloth contains the mess and then when all the kids are done I fold it up and shake outside then store for another day

Comment

I use the same recipe but add a package of koolaid without sugar to each one. You get vibrant colors and it smells yummy.

Comment

I use that recipe as well and use cake decorating colors to make really nice, bright colors. It doesn't smell as nice as when I use the Kool-Aid, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X