Sensory Seeking Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heidi
    If I didn't say it, he's adopted from a foreign orphanage. You know, 40 babies to a caregiver; that sort of thing.

I am definately NOT diagnosing. Just preparing for behaviors I witnessed. There are many types of SPD, one of which is sensory seeking. It's kind of the polar opposite of what your friend has.

We have a very sensory family, and my best friend's children are fully on the SPD train...1 hyper sensitive, 2 hypo sensitive, all diagnosed by a neuropsycologist.

not feeling bad...just clarifying
    Oh, OK. Sorry, guess I misunderstood where you are coming from and what you were wanting.
    Originally posted by SunshineMama View Post
    I like packaging bubbles and aluminum foil to mix it up.

From what I have researched, if he was adopted before 9 months then their nature will not be affected by neglect from overpopulated foreign orphanages. Children adopted later are very likely to be disconnected from their family and have emotional issues, even with therapy.
    This is weird. From what I've researched most kids raised in a neglectful or abusive situation, even if removed after only a few weeks, can have resulting disorders, such as RAD. I'd be really interested in reading the papers/websites, etc. that you have researched! Would you mind sharing them?

Originally posted by Willow
    If at any point in a childs life their physical or emotional needs go unmet it can cause anywhere from attachment issues on up through to full blown disorders and other mental illness that'll span the child's lifetime regardless of intense interventions. In infants brains (far less than 9 months old) the physical toll of the mental trauma can literally be seen on PET scans. And it's not just neglect or institutionalization that can cause it, simply suffering from an undiagnosed and untreated painful illness such as reflux can have similar and devastating results.
    This is what I've found in my studies.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered
      We have parmasan cheese containers with colored art puffs, they're soft for touch, teach colors and we count with them. ( cost empty container free puffs large bag 4.00 and can use for many projects)
      Child size handful of play dough
      Tissue paper tearing and then use it to create a collage
      We took out grown shirts with a stain or that couldn't be handed down, cut into 2 identical squares and made bean bags and other such articles added rice and another with cotton balls, very economical, the shirts were trash anyway. The various bags create various textures and weight. Also have used old pant legs to create "snakes" weighted pressure can be soothing.
      Instead of an overwhelming sand box, an aluminum baking pan, with 2 handfuls of sand, just enough to touch and sense but not over stimulate.
      You may find that the child likes toys that mimick a vibration, like that of a car in motion or the sound reverbs when the toy is dropped on the floor. Plastic egg shakers.
      Possibly the child will have a favorite blanket, most likely very soft, more fleece like.
      I hope some of these ideas help, they are very economical so you don't have to limit it to just the sensory seeking child all of the children can be included.
      These are really great ideas for any of us! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Countrygal View Post
        Oh, OK. Sorry, guess I misunderstood where you are coming from and what you were wanting.

This is weird. From what I've researched most kids raised in a neglectful or abusive situation, even if removed after only a few weeks, can have resulting disorders, such as RAD. I'd be really interested in reading the papers/websites, etc. that you have researched! Would you mind sharing them?

This is what I've found in my studies.
        Yes ... RAD is very common.

I have a RADical son.

Comment

Working...
        X