Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Pursue This Potential Client Or RUN FAR AWAY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Pursue This Potential Client Or RUN FAR AWAY?

I have had an open full time spot for 6 weeks now. I have not really had ANY good leads, and NO interviews for this spot despite lots of advertising & word of mouth! FINALLY I got an email to care for a little girl (right now we have ALL boys!), and she is just the right age to fit in with our group. BUT, here's what the email said:

"Wantng to enroll my 22 month old daugher however we do not nap at home. What are your rules on nap at daycare? is there somethng else she can do? i dont want her to have to have "lay down while everyone else naps ether"
    please tell me what you would do....
    thanks"

Do you think I will be able to convince mom that napping is in the best interest of her little girl and with some work CAN be accomplished at daycare? Or should I RUN FAR AWAY from this potential client?

I have found that parents who are totally against napping are not likely to give in to you on this. Thier routine is probably working for them and they are not going to want to mess it up. I think they will take it that you "just don't want to ruin your break"....which, of course, I didn't. You could answer back with your philosophy on napping and your rules just to feel her out, but going by the verbiage of her email, it doesn't sound like she will agree to nap her daughter. So, if you feel strongly that she needs to nap and this not negotiable, you may want to keep looking for a better match.

Comment

I would quote all of the reasons napping is important for the good health and well-being of little ones. I would then ask her why she doesn't want her child to nap. If she has a LEGITIMATE reason - then I would meet with her. If she simply says she wants her child to sleep well at night, I would RUN.

Comment

I would send a nice reply quoting your handbook on your rules for sleeping, reiterate why sleeping is good for toddlers like her daughter. Like pp said, ask why she doesn't want her daughter to sleep. I personally wouldn't take such a young child that didn't sleep. I need my break time too. My DD who will be 4 in June still naps for 2 hours. I have a newly 4 year old DCG who naps for 1 1/2hrs. All my other ones who are younger nap for 2 hours.

If it's just because they want to get home, feed her and put her to bed - I would run.

Comment

RUN.

Run far, FAR away.

I wouldn't touch that one with a thirty-nine-and-a-half-foot pole.
          Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Don't she will be a thorn in your side! Wait for the right one.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. I think that most parents that request no nap want their kids to be exhausted so that going to bed is not a battle they have to fight. I don't think you will be able to change her mind about a nap.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                RUN.

Run far, FAR away.

I wouldn't touch that one with a thirty-nine-and-a-half-foot pole.
                Me either. Nap time is vital.

Comment

Run!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you all for your advice! I decided to respond nicely; and tell her all the reasons why I believe toddlers need their mid-day naps; and give her my plan to get her daughter on a nap. I also asked for what reason/s her daughter does not nap. I made it clear in my email that I was not willing to compromise on our nap routine, so I doubt I will hear from her again.

I'm just so frustrated! Finally I get an inquiry for a child the exact age I was hoping for to fit in with our group; and she happens to come with a DCP that probably won't fit in here. BLAH. I need to fill this spot!

On the bright side... HAPPY FRIDAY! HAPPY PROVIDER APPRECIATION DAY! AND HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MOMMIES!

Comment

NO WAY! You need at least an hour to eat and have a break just like anyone else who has a job!

Wait for a more suitable fit!

Comment

No way, Jose. I wouldn't walk, I'd run as far and as fast as you can from that train wreck!!!

Comment

Update:

As expected, the mom responded to my email:

"Ok thank you, I'll find somewhere else."

I am so tempted to respond to her saying "Ok, good luck with that!"

Comment

no don't respond. she will hear about 50 "no's" from various providers and either go with a SAHM or a friend or something. I don't know of a single provider here or locally that would be okay with a 1 year old up ALL day and not even laying down quietly for the sake of the other kids. I would be more concerned that she clearly doesnt have any concern for the group as whole (otherwise she would agree to laying down for awhile) than that she wasnt pro-nap. Saying she doesnt even want her laying down tells me that she wants to pick up and do bedtime around 6pm.

Comment

those who come in with any special request like this will just be the start of many... I would just respond with...

thank so much for your inquiry in my daycare. I regret to inform you that my program requires that all children take naps. Best of luck in your search.

Comment

Working...
                              X