Discrimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination

So I know there are many different ways a provider could discriminate anywhere from rates to choosing (or not choosing) a family based on race, religion, etc etc

So digging further into rates... I'm almost positive I've seen for example raising the rate of one parent when you aren't raising across the board can be considered discrimination. True or no?

This brings me to my question...what about friends/family? If you provide care to a friend or family member's child/ren is it considered some type of discrimination if you charge them a lower rate than another family? Just a random thought that crossed my mind today I thought I would ask everyone's thoughts

If you're going to discount someone's tuition based on them being your family/friend then that's your business. I tend to view that as being more generous due to having a close relationship to that family.
    However, I don't do this. I can't afford to give away tuition at a lower rate simply because I know the person/am friends with the family.

Comment

If that's true then I "discriminate" on a regular basis ::. For example, I watch one of my SIL's boys and I offer her a very discounted rate (which I will never do again, I've learned my lesson). I also have one original DC family that I have had since the day that I opened and because they are such a great family I have never raised their rate (even though they are now on subsidy) whereas the rest of my families all pay a higher rate. I don't think that there is anything wrong with it and it's not discrimination because I'm not doing it based on the fact that I don't like their religion or personal beliefs etc.

I know that from being on the subsidy program that I can charge people different rates if I want but I just can't charge subsity clients more simply because they are on subsidy, that's one of their rules. But I don't have that issue because like I said, the one client that I have that is on subsidy pays a lower fee than any other family that I do have. I'm assuming that if charging some families more than others were against regulations or considered discrimination that the subsidy program would say something to me but they don't and they know what I charge each family. And I know DC providers that have trouble enrolling new clients so they drop their rates in an attemot to get new clients and others that started charging low so they keep those families at their rate but enroll new clients at a higher rate. I just don't see that as discrimination.

Comment

Agreed I was just wondering if there was anything legal in charging people different rates for essentially the same care. Just one of the random things that pop into your head during the day

Comment

I have one family that pays a full-time rate for coming 3 days a week. I have to open 45 minutes earlier and close 1 hour later on those 3 days, so I had to charge a rate that made it worth my while (if that makes sense). Any less than full-time and I wouldn't have wanted to do it.

Comment

I am not sure about the legalities but for me, I am unlicensed (legally) so I dont believe that I would have be held to the same standard as licensed daycares. I dont take any assistance kids. Because of my small group, I think parents would just leave if they felt discriminated (hopefully no one has every felt that way!) but legally, I am dont know that I am required to accept or not accept anybody. Its more of a private business because I am not regulated or required to be regulated in anyway.

Comment

I think as a self employed business owner, it is your choice on what to charge.

For example:

You hire someone to mow your yard. You pay more because you have 25 square feet more than the neighbor. 25 square feet is literally a patch but if you have trees and shrubs to go around, they will charge more.

Same goes for daycare.

I don't think "discrimination" applies when it comes to rates.

If you are presented with a child that needs more direct care hours per day, you tend to charge more than the child that takes two 2 hour naps in a day.

Most of my families pay within $50 of each other. The ones that are charged less is because they are picked up by 330pm.

Comment

Thanks for the input - Even in my mind I had more arguments that this wouldn't be legal discrimination, but always happy to see what you all think

Comment

Working...
                X