No announcement yet.

Why Sensory Bins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The early childhood educator in me screams, "YOU GO GIRL!" for those that have sensory bins.

There's cognitive, language, social, and emotional development occurring through the use of sensory tables/bins.

Comment

(A cheapie way to go about getting one is to buy an under the bed container. They're around $10-15.)

Comment

Originally posted by Clueless View Post
        do you have any problem with them putting thing in their mouths? I used to have a bean table. One of the GP had a fit cause a dcg had a bean down her shirt when she came home. . Mom just laughed and said she was playing in the bean table. GM gasped, what if she ate it or put it up her nose.
        With mixed ageas I think it is hard to have small stuff. How do you guys handle this. Some of mine a notorious for sticking stuff up their nose
        Also FCCRS is very strict about food products as craft material. I had a rice bin once when I did FCCRS. They gave no credit to anything. What do they think about sensory bins? Does anyone know?
        RE. FCCRS.....Sensory bins are not a requirement for the FCCRS......however sand and water play are. So, your sensory bin could hold only sand or water and you would get credit. Oh, it should also have "tools" for measuring, puring, sifting, etc. to get a 7.

As far as food goes.....I do not use food either. I feel that it is disrespectful. There are children in this world who would LOVE to have that food put on their table for a meal....kids who are going hugry. We teach children not to waste food, we teach them not to play with their food, yet we put food in sensory bins for them to waste and play with. It's contradictory to what we teach as appropriate use of food.

There are TONS of things that can be used in sensory bins/tables without it being food related.

Comment

Oh, gosh, I love my sensory bins!!!!!!!! I have several of all sizes, types, ect. I even make tiny ones for the babies using those plastic baby food containers that I glue shut and fill with all sorts of stuff.

Yes, I spent way too much $ on some of them but I don't care. I am addicted and I have one shelved wall in my preschool room dedicated to storing them. They are awesomerrific and the kids have way too much fun using them. I even love the mess, because I have them help clean up and it is a great way to learn how to use a broom and dustpan.

Sometimes, when the dcks are not here, I play in them, too. Don't judge me.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
            RE. FCCRS.....Sensory bins are not a requirement for the FCCRS......however sand and water play are. So, your sensory bin could hold only sand or water and you would get credit. Oh, it should also have "tools" for measuring, puring, sifting, etc. to get a 7.

As far as food goes.....I do not use food either. I feel that it is disrespectful. There are children in this world who would LOVE to have that food put on their table for a meal....kids who are going hugry. We teach children not to waste food, we teach them not to play with their food, yet we put food in sensory bins for them to waste and play with. It's contradictory to what we teach as appropriate use of food.

There are TONS of things that can be used in sensory bins/tables without it being food related.
            True, but rice is cheap and the beans were pretty cheap too. I can remember when I was a kid running my hands thru the bins of beans at the produce stores. It is hard to resist. I don't really think it is disrespectful. Plenty of people use cucumbers on their eyes or milk to tighten their skin(the lactic acid works great). Also corn is used to make ethanol gas. Foods have many uses.

I always had sand and water play with the needed materials for FCCRS. I just had the rice too. They just don't recognize it or didn't when I had the rice bins.
            I had a child with Sensory Intigration Dysfunction. OP recommened rice and Bean tables.
            Not Clueless anymore

Comment

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
              Not quite yet. We just mixed in fertilizer and turned the soil so far. We moved the garden since we had a new sprinkler system put in. No more watering plants. Just the push of a button at the beginning of Spring. Magic! But my raspberry bushes have leaves already! I am shocked!

This year I am doing summer squash, cucumbers, 6 different varieties of tomatoes, onions (they are in since they are perennials), GIANT pumpkins and "ghost" pumpkins, snap peas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, basil, chives, and scallions. I'm toying with the idea of lettuce/greens as well. I'm still not sold since I can get those fairly cheap at the farmers market. I like high producing plants. My garden real estate is valuable! ::
              Cabbage produces the most pounds of food per acre (as far as truck crops).... just a bit of trivia I picked up who knows when????::::::

Comment

Don't even get me started on the sand and water. We have to have sand and water outside and inside. Digging in the dirt doesn't count. My kids grew up digging in the dirt in an area with absolutely no sand. They didn't seem exactly underprivileged. Of course, if they didn't want to dig in the dirt, they always had the cow manure, or the straw, or the horse or duck manure - now goose poop is really fun! slimey and slippery! :::::::::::: OK, JK. But seriously, what are all of these regulations about that specify you have to have this toy/play material or that? I just don't get it. Does it that drastically effect the quality of care if I let my kids dig in dirt instead of providing a sand table? I'm lucky here - my dirt IS sand. Just about pure beach sand right out my back door.happyfacehappyfacehappyface

Comment

Originally posted by Clueless View Post
                  True, but rice is cheap and the beans were pretty cheap too. I can remember when I was a kid running my hands thru the bins of beans at the produce stores. It is hard to resist. I don't really think it is disrespectful. Plenty of people use cucumbers on their eyes or milk to tighten their skin(the lactic acid works great). Also corn is used to make ethanol gas. Foods have many uses.

I always had sand and water play with the needed materials for FCCRS. I just had the rice too. They just don't recognize it or didn't when I had the rice bins.
                  I had a child with Sensory Intigration Dysfunction. OP recommened rice and Bean tables.
                  Yep, the FCCERs says specifically sand & water. Perhaps Thelma Harms didn't have FCC in her own home when she wrote it? For myself, that's not going to happen here, and no one can convince me otherwise. My little buddies get sand in the sandbox outside, and water in the bathtub 3x a week, plus when they wash their hands 12 times a day. That's either going to have to be enough, or they'll just have to be intellectually demented.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                    I'm with Nannyde on the "I want it to last for years". I have toys in my day care that my sons (now age 30 and 27) played with. They are still in good condition and I expect them to last many more years.

I make sure the kids have plenty of choices and opportunities to touch, create etc. We paint, do crafts, play with water (outside only).

I'm "old school" too and quite honestly don't see the point in sensory tables/boxes/humongous messes. I think my kids explore and learn enough.

I DO have some old soda bottles that I filled with rice and some tiny toys/marbles and then sealed up tight so they can't be spilled. Does that count since they can't touch the contents! I just say 'find the elephant" or whatever, and they turn the bottle all over until it appears.

I think I would go stark raving mad if I had to vacuum up tons of beans/rice/sand etc every day!!!! Not to mention that my kids would try and eat it and/or shove it where the sun don't shine!
                    There are TONS of filler ideas that do not mean a mess to vacuum up. You don't have to put beans/rice/sand in every box. Some filler items can be picked up by the kids just as they would clean up any toy....like large pom poms. I absolutely agree though that there are tons of ways to help kids learn and explore and its no big deal if sensory bins dont work for your program. Some of them do take some adult involvement and for me, I have no problem with that. Sensory bins are one of the few things that I will sit with the kids, watch them have fun, assist if needed. I think the good times to be had are more than worth it. Most of the time, my kids here are very independent but sensory bins are something we all have fun doing together. You all know me, I'm not into entertaining kids but on the other hand, we like doing things together and yes, that does include my involvement....same thing for cooking, some types of art projects, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post
                      I guess I have a creative artsy side to myself. Very visual and like to feel things. When I buy clothing, I need to feel the fabric first to see if I like it,if it is quality etc.. I know some providers that have had the rice tables for longer then ten years. I enjoyed coloring my rice and its therapeutic for me as well as the kids. Any rice that lands on the floor gets thrown out. I get into the frame of mind when I take the table out that I am going to make a mess and its going to require clean up and then just deal with it. I control it, if it gets to be too much it is put away.

Nan- consider it, maybe start outside and then work it inside come winter. I also find it's something most likely they are not going to do at home. Unique.

I don't do anything to be cookie cutter........and resent being pushed in that direction. I do it for many of the reasons stated and just simply because its fun.

Going to take mine out todayhappyface throw some zoo animals in it.

I find the ooey gooey lady to be close to my heart toolovethis
                      agree! For me, like I said, I dont do the bins for any other reason than that the kids love it and it is fun. Sure there are some educational purposes to it but also, we just like having fun. There doesnt have to be a "reason", does there?

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                        I don't have an outdoor play area.

My dc parents are super uber crafty. A couple of my kids have a parent who makes their living as a preschool teacher and administrator. Another parent is an artist.

The parents have the artsy crafty stuff completely covered. happyface

I'm not a crafty person. I don't like doing art. I love looking at it but not doing it. I seem to draw really creative parents so we balance each other out. One of my kids that is in second grade got a full scholarship to the Des Moines Art Center for talented and gifted art students. She was with me for the first five years and ended up being an amazing little artist.

I don't worry about doing that kind of thing here. I really don't spend a minute thinking about it. The kids are so busy and they turn out to be wonderful students so the parents and I together seem to net really balanced kids. It's a good thing to find parents who bring to the table the things you lack.
                        Agree to the bolded! This is why I spend a lot of time outdoors and a lot of time doing art with my kids. None of them get much of this at home. They do get a ton of cuddling, holding, one-on-one attention, toys, and so the parents cover that end....I get the other stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post

you bring up a very good point! We also don't use food products UNLESS we can reuse it later in another way.

Comment

I notice when I get the sensory bin out my whole groups calms way, way down-. It just suddenly becomes calm, quiet and serine.

One of my little ones that takes some retraining everyday will just sit forever and play with it. If they do make a mess, the little one will pick it up. I have watched how careful they are with pouring, sorting, sizing, comparing. It is actually amazing to me what their brain comes up with when they do a sensory bin. I see them put tons of effort into it then any other toy I have and I have very good toys.
                            Each day is a fresh start
                            Never look back on regrets
                            Live life to the fullest
                            We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

What are things that are good to use in a sensory bin for toddlers (18 months to 3 years old)? I wouldn't want to use anything as a base that is chokeable or against liscensing rules. I have never done a sensory bin but is sounds like a fun thing to add for indoor play.

Comment

Originally posted by saved4always View Post
                                What are things that are good to use in a sensory bin for toddlers (18 months to 3 years old)? I wouldn't want to use anything as a base that is chokeable or against liscensing rules. I have never done a sensory bin but is sounds like a fun thing to add for indoor play.
                                Do you have a paper shredder? I once did a sensory bin with shredded colored paper, wool and sticks and pine cones.

Comment

Working...
                                X