Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would/Do You Give Your Sister Free Daycare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would/Do You Give Your Sister Free Daycare?

My sister mentioned to my mom that she was calling around local daycares in town and I guess she told them that her sister had a daycare...supposedly they were all saying "I can't believe your sister won't give you free daycare"
    I'm a little offended. And I did tell her I would do it for $100 per week even though I charge $140 for his age (under 18 months). I do feel bad, but I know that I can't afford to keep him for free. If I were rich and didn't have to worry about finances I would love to keep him but that's not the case.
    Am I wrong? Do you guys keep your neices and nephews for free? With him being under 18 months it would limit my numbers and i would have to hire an employee or let a paying child go.

Sorry..I'm kinda venting. It frustrates me that people think everything should be handed to them.

OH heck no.....#1 no DC for family or friends ever....

tahts like saying you can move in rent free.....You will find out who your friends are after you live with them....

same thing with child care

Comment

My younger brother and his girlfriend recently had a baby and the comments have already started: "Oh, your sister will "watch" her." "At least your daycare will be free." etc. etc. I am a single guardian of three kids and my child care is my business and income...how could they even think I could do this for free? OP, even if you were "rich" and money was not an issue, I don't think you should feel obligated to do it for free. I think it was even VERY generous of you to offer your sister a great discount.

Comment

Originally posted by small_steps View Post
        supposedly they were all saying "I can't believe your sister won't give you free daycare"
        It's free to have an opinion about other people's money.
        http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
          It's free to have an opinion about other people's money.
          Well I'd like to tell them what they can do with their opinion! but you're right they can say that all they want but it's not their pocketbooks it will hurt. I'm a single mom to 3 boys with no child support or any other financial help coming in. I do well for myself but I have worked hard to get here.

Sorry yall if I'm coming across upset..but I am! This frustrates me, especially because she is blabbing it to other daycares in town. Why is that anyone else's business.

Comment

Originally posted by small_steps View Post
            Well I'd like to tell them what they can do with their opinion! but you're right they can say that all they want but it's not their pocketbooks it will hurt. I'm a single mom to 3 boys with no child support or any other financial help coming in. I do well for myself but I have worked hard to get here.

Sorry yall if I'm coming across upset..but I am! This frustrates me, especially because she is blabbing it to other daycares in town. Why is that anyone else's business.
            If they feel so generous to offer free care, I'm sure your sister would love to partake in their generosity. If they feel so strongly about your sister getting free then they should do it because you won't. That's the right thing to do when you feel so strongly.

Tell your sister to call them back and tell them that you are so stingy you won't do free and ask them if they could do free for her.

You know there is a chance nobody said that or the ones who did have been in the business for five minutes.

Don't offer the discounted rate. It takes a special person to do family, friends, and neighbors. Are you that special?
            http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

My little sister used to use me...I had conditions though and I did expect to be paid as i am only allowed 4 slots. She lasted a couple of months bc she exspected to leave my niece how ever long she wanted and pay when ever she wanted. I didn't allow it...I wouldn't allow it for anyone not even my own sister. I told her that she will need to get used to this as this is how daycares are ran..I am prim example. To be honest...I wonder if any daycare would really say that bc we all know that families are so hard to deal with in daycare...helping help is one thing free daycare is a whole nother thing...

Comment

I watched my niece. I'm licensed for 6 and couldn't afford to give up a slot for free but I did disount her tuition rate. I can't imagine my brother/sil would have expected me to do it for free even if I could have afforded it.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                  OH heck no.....#1 no DC for family or friends ever....

tahts like saying you can move in rent free.....You will find out who your friends are after you live with them....

same thing with child care
                  ...and you will find out who really is "family". Family expectations can be destructive. Try not to let family manipulate you through guilt.

Comment

Sure, I'd do it for my sister, but she'd pay double rate for the aggravation I know would follow.

Comment

I would never watch my sister's or my husband's siblings' kids for free during my daycare hours, unless there was truly a family emergency (like someone died) and there was absolutely no one else who could take them. And then it would not be a regular thing. Daytime hours are my business hours and does not include doing favors for family, especially if it would mean giving up a paying spot due to number of kids allowed. If they needed a favor on the weekend or some evening outside of daycare hours, I would consider doing it for free if I did not have plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        ...and you will find out who really is "family". Family expectations can be destructive. Try not to let family manipulate you through guilt.
                        Yes yes yes this....

I think that is what I meant...

When a family comes to you for childcare, it always comes with "Special"
                        Right...

I would not even watch family or friends for pay...they always think that they don't have to follow your rules.

They think It's ok to be 20 min late everyday for pick up, they wont mind because they are friends or family.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
                          Sure, I'd do it for my sister, but she'd pay double rate for the aggravation I know would follow.
                          :::::: Yes, this would be for my sister, too!!!!!

Comment

:confused:....Kind of a bummer that your sis would tell your mom that and even worse that your mom would pass it on to you.:confused:.....even IF your sis was told that. Seems hard to believe that she was told that though.

My sis and I have exchanged watching each other's kids but NEVER full time for free. Your rates are already very very reasonable.

In light of the babysitting gossip with sis/mom I wouldn't do daycare for your sis. Sounds like a can of worms.

Comment

I need to call my sister and tell her how great she is. My sisters would do anything for me. I had her kids p/t when she needed me Luckily I did not have to count them in my ratio. she never took advantage. I did do favors outside of business hours and she would come sub for me for free.

I guess I need to thank my Mother also for teaching us how to get along.happyface
                              It:: will wait

Comment

Working...
                              X