Logged Out, So Mad At Myself Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update...

So I told DCM who really did not seem to be moved one way or the other about it. DCM did say that it was wrong to DCK, but really did not understand the severity of it. DCM went on to say that DCK was horrible over the weekend and did this and that wrong all weekend long, Somehow really avoiding the issue at hand. I told DCK that they still needed to apologize to my son and that hitting someone with anything was never ok. DCM asked DCK why did you do that and they responded, because he was not listening to me and I wanted to tell him something so I hit him with the bat.

Basically when DCK is at home and does not listen, this is what happens to DCK by the parents, I know it. DCK doesn't listen and gets spanked. So DCK was doing what the parents do to DCK. Monkey see monkey do.

I also told DCM that if anything to this degree were to ever happen again, that I would have no choice to let the DCK go. Still that did not perk up DCM ears, DCM just kept saying how horrible DCK behavior had been.

The reason that I wanted to send home DCK was so that it would show mom that if her child is going to act this way, that I would not tolerate it one bit and that I would make it her problem, not mine.

I am nervous to allow this child to come back. BUT the only reason that I am, is because this child has never ever acted out like this ever. Nothing even close to it.

Comment

Oh he// no!!!

At 4.5, a child knows better. How old was your child? (sorry you may have already answered this). I think you did the right thing, but I would be very protective of my child too. My home is a safe place for my kids and I would be livid if a 4.5 year old did that. I might even term depending on other factors. I can't even imagine my 2.5 year olds maliciously hitting someone with a bat- my 3.5 year old would NEVER do that, and neither would my 4 year old. If that hold has some developmental issue that he can't control that then he needs to be with someone who is specialized in handling violent behavior. I would not have that kid around my children, and yes I would be more upset if it were my child just because that is MY child and as a mom my job is to protect my child first, not to say I don't care about the daycare kids. I love them, but my kids are my priority.

Comment

Lots of great advice on here!
        Personally, I won't send a child home unless it's for term. I actually called a parent to pick up an unruly child and the literally said to the child "let's go get some McDonalds"! Holy Cow, that didn't teach them much.

Now, I take all fun things away that they like to do (i.e. if it's sand being thrown I give one warning, second time it's a time-out and after that they are my "best pals" for a while. Hand-in-hand, can't play with the others. They shadow me the rest of the day).

I record EVERYTHING in case I need written proof--and I usually do.

I am upfront about this with the kids and the parents. First offense gets a note and verbal account. Second offense, a letter that informs parent's that if there is a third offense then termination of care will be the next step.

I work really hard with kids like this, but it's very tough at times. But, no, I never just send a kid home for behavior anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleMom View Post
          Lots of great advice on here!
          Personally, I won't send a child home unless it's for term. I actually called a parent to pick up an unruly child and the literally said to the child "let's go get some McDonalds"! Holy Cow, that didn't teach them much.

Now, I take all fun things away that they like to do (i.e. if it's sand being thrown I give one warning, second time it's a time-out and after that they are my "best pals" for a while. Hand-in-hand, can't play with the others. They shadow me the rest of the day).

I record EVERYTHING in case I need written proof--and I usually do.

I am upfront about this with the kids and the parents. First offense gets a note and verbal account. Second offense, a letter that informs parent's that if there is a third offense then termination of care will be the next step.

I work really hard with kids like this, but it's very tough at times. But, no, I never just send a kid home for behavior anymore.
          I think this is a great plan of action for these cases! Sounds very orderly and has all of the right elements - documentation, notification, consequences, etc. I like it!

Comment

Working...
          X