Would Be A Looooong Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Be A Looooong Day!

So I had a call yesterday requesting care for a 19 month old. M-F and an occasional Saturday from 430 am to 530pm. What?? Are there providers out there that actually do those kind of hours? We are talking a potential of a child being in care for 78 hours a week. I understand that those are not awake hours for the child, but it is for the provider!

I am trying not to judge but if it were me needing those kind of daycare hours, I would be soooo worried about my provider getting burntout watching a child for that many hours.

you should ask what job they do. I'm sorry but there is no job that has those kind of hours. Why would you then have a child if you work those hours.

Comment

NO way.

Usually the reasons for these long hours come down to "commute, long walk from parking lot to car, and two adults sharing vehichles... dropping kid off first and picking kid up last"

I can't even imagine caring for the kid who litterally had a handfull of awake hours a week with their parents. Being a babysitter for a kid who had nearly zero parental care.... I can't even phathom what that kid thinks like, acts like, sleeps like, eats like...

I could never be a part of that. It's not developmentally appropriate to have a child away from their parents that many hours per day. It's nearly twice what my kids have in child care each week.
      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I had somebody from 6:30 to 5:30 and that was hard enough! Her mom worked at our local apple orchard, and that's a tough job with long hours. Thankfully the season ended and I don't have to do that anymore! I can't imagine adding two hours onto that! Yuck! If there's someone out there who could do that, more power to them! They're stronger than me!

Comment

Nope never ever. Thats so crazy!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsB View Post
            So I had a call yesterday requesting care for a 19 month old. M-F and an occasional Saturday from 430 am to 530pm. What?? Are there providers out there that actually do those kind of hours? We are talking a potential of a child being in care for 78 hours a week. I understand that those are not awake hours for the child, but it is for the provider!

I am trying not to judge but if it were me needing those kind of daycare hours, I would be soooo worried about my provider getting burntout watching a child for that many hours.
            Did you ask the mom during the phone call why she needed so many hours?

Comment

I'll have one that will be about 13 hours starting in a few weeks. She isn't a new dcg, but mom is changing jobs. She works 12 hour shifts, but I suspect that even though she is off after 12 hours, there will be days that she won't be able to leave on time, if her replacement is late or calls in sick or something.

Luckily for everyone, it's just 4 days a week.

I just termed one (ratio related, not time related) that was here 12 1/2 hours a day, but it was 3 days one week and 2 days the next.

Comment

I did those hours for one Mom years ago. She paid an extra $50 a week (20+ extra hours), but it was still better than what she would have been charged at a center.

She was a school bus driver (for medical insurance) and was in college full-time during the day between runs. Dad was not in the picture. Child was special needs (spina biffida). The occassional Saturday (or Friday Night) was for fieldtrips which paid really well for her and allowed her to catch up a bit on bills. (she gave me bonuses often)

She dropped off at 4:15am because she had to be at the bus depot by 4:30 to check off her vehicle (I just put him to bed, he was an awesome kid). Her last run of the day was for the atletics dept. after school extracurriculars (higher pay) meaning pick-up was between 5:30-5:45. She NEVER brought him when there was no school. Not once.

She graduated when he was 3 and landed a job that allowed her to take him to work with her. Having a baby was not in her plan for her early 20's but she handled it like a pro. We still meet for dinner once or twice a year. I adore her. She is not having any other kids or I'd beg to keep her's again......::::::
                - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  Did you ask the mom during the phone call why she needed so many hours?
                  I didnt, only because I am full and I was pretty busy at the time of her call to get much more detail. I never count someone out even though, those are WAY more than I am willing to do. I got her name, number, age of her child, days and hours needed for care, and said I would call if I had something come open. I would DEFINATELY get more info if I had a spot come open.

Comment

Working...
                  X