Sitting in Chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting in Chairs

Anyone have any ideas on getting little ones to sit on their bottoms? These are almost all three and four year olds (just turning these ages).

Everytime we sit to do anything at the little table or dining room table everyone immediately sit on their knees or squat. I repeat, repeat, repeat to sit on their bottoms! One actually damaged a tooth by falling and hitting their mouth on the table-. Sadly it hasn't taught this child anything about sitting on the bottom. I'm afraid we will have more mouth injuries because of this.
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

You could try to acquire some boosters with straps; I have two of these:

http://www.target.com/p/Fisher-Price...r/-/A-13868681

I can take the tray away, strap the booster to the chair, and strap the children in. It works to give them a comfy way to sit right up at the level they need at the table! And they will not be able to sit on their knees or even attempt to. I love mine.

Comment

I bought the canvas straps and buckles and put them on my little chairs for my playroom. The kids love them, I always say put your seat belt on. They love learning how to buckle and unbuckle too. They have to be sitting on their bottom to buckle them. I learned this at a special education seminar. They do it alot for kids who have ADHD and autism that get up constinently. If i still have problem they lose their chair and have to stand to do their art project or whatever they are doing.

For the kitchen. If they stand up then they get put in a booster seat that is strapped to the chair and they are strapped in. If they are kneeling, then maybe it is because they need a booster seat to feel more comfortable at the table. I have some that choose to sit in a booster and some that really dont want to so use the booster. So the threat of having to is enough to make them sit on bottoms. I have had a few test me and stand on booster or the chair when thinking I wasnt looking. I put them on the kitchen floor, strapped into a booster with a tray. I tell them if they are going to make the unsafe choice to stand, then I will choose a safer choice. On the floor strapped in.

Comment

Have you tried getting down to their level and explaining why you have such a rule? Some kids are very impulsive so they forget a LOT!!

If it still doesn't improve I would tell them that if they don't sit on their bottom then they are removed from the table OR I would have boosters on hand to "threaten" them with if they aren't sitting properly. At this age they should get it.

Comment

I'd just let them squat or kneel.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
            Anyone have any ideas on getting little ones to sit on their bottoms? These are almost all three and four year olds (just turning these ages).

Everytime we sit to do anything at the little table or dining room table everyone immediately sit on their knees or squat. I repeat, repeat, repeat to sit on their bottoms! One actually damaged a tooth by falling and hitting their mouth on the table-. Sadly it hasn't taught this child anything about sitting on the bottom. I'm afraid we will have more mouth injuries because of this.
            I give them a choice. YOu can sit on your bottom or I will take your chair and then you will have to stand.

Or I just say chairs are for sitting. Would you like to sit or stand? They hate it when I take their chairs away...

I do the same thing when they start swinging their legs and kicking each other...

Comment

I do what Daycare does, or else I make them sit by me instead of at the "kids" table. They hate that even more.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                I give them a choice. YOu can sit on your bottom or I will take your chair and then you will have to stand.

Or I just say chairs are for sitting. Would you like to sit or stand? They hate it when I take their chairs away...

I do the same thing when they start swinging their legs and kicking each other...
                What about though when we are eating at the kitchen table? There is no way they could eat there standing up?
                Live life to the fullest

Comment

What about though when we are eating at the kitchen table? There is no way they could eat there standing up?
                  mine do it all the time. And they still eat over their plate. BUT I have child size eating tables..

When I use to sit them at the big kitchen table and they tried to sit on knees or get up, then they went into the booster with the straps so they could not. Again I gave them the choice..

Comment

If they have child-sized chairs and refuse to sit still, I'd excuse them after the first warning. Bad table manners=you are showing me you are done!

Comment

I don't have this problem with the child size furniture. At the kitchen table, all the daycare kids get strapped in because yes, they all screw around on the big chairs and would hurt themselves. I have some boosters and an IKEA highchair

Comment

It doesn't matter where this group sits-childsize funiture, the kitchen table, the floor, a rocking chair, all of them and I mean all of them sit on with their legs tugged under them!!!! I find it odd, strange that kids turning four years old would have to be strapped down to sit in a seat.

This is another issue I see where kids are being able to be babies way to long. I understand that they are little but seriously when I was little, heck when my kids where little (the oldest is a senior) there wasn't all these gadgets to make your life easy. Your kids where taught how to do something and then they did it.

I was thinking of buying six booster seats but that would be pretty spendy. Then looking at my table it isn't flush underneath. It is a country style (my moms) and I think once you put the kids in the boosters the wouldn't be able to put their legs under the table. UUHH!!!!
                        Live life to the fullest

Comment

I just let them sit however they want to sit (3's and 4's). If they fall, then they learn the hard way. After the first few times, they catch on and maker the choice themselves.

I keep under 3 in a booster seat.

Comment

Originally posted by SunshineMama View Post
                            I just let them sit however they want to sit (3's and 4's). If they fall, then they learn the hard way. After the first few times, they catch on and maker the choice themselves.

I keep under 3 in a booster seat.
                            I understand about falling and learning the hard way but then I'm worried about the liability also. Had one a few weeks ago that did fall, now the tooth has damage and will probably need to be pulled or something (its dying). One of the front ones to boot!
                            Live life to the fullest

Comment

Kids that are that age should know how to sit in a chair. During meal times I would just tell them that chairs are for sitting and if they can't do that then they are not ready to eat. I ask them to "show me you're ready."

For activities, I don't really force them to sit. At meal times though it is necessary. I also model by sitting down with them to eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X