Stomach Virus...Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomach Virus...Need Advice

Sooo last Sunday one of the children had diarrhea, he usually comes Wednesday -Friday and when he showed up Wednesday he seemed fine and ate well so I didn't think anything of it. Thursday night my assistant and one of the other babies comes down with it really bad, vomiting and diarrhea. My assistant was in the hospital all weekend and the baby is still recovering. So when I asked the mom of the boy if he was vomiting too she said no but she and her husband had caught the bug tuesday night. I was a little upset because she didn't give any warning to us knowing full well Wednesday morning she was sick the night before and brought her son who might still have been contagious.

Do any of you have anything like this in your contracts? I have in mine that Diahrea is not allowed but he was still contagious Wednesday. On the other hand I did review diapering again with my assistant just to make sure she was handling diapers correctly, but still....what do you think!:confused:

He maynot have still been contagious. What probably happened is he was contagious when he was there the week before and became sick over the weekend. Then your assistant and the baby picked it up during the time he was contagious and actually didn't get sick till the next weekend. It usually takes awhile for the germs to get to everyone.

That is whats hard about the flu! It slowly works its way through everyone. Thats where I'm at now. Several get it, then the next bunch and it keeps going. By the time you think everyone will be well it seems to need to make a second round!
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

The stomach bug just went through here like a tornado.

We ALL had it. Every kid, every parent.

I truthfully couldnt pinpoint where it started, but gessh, it was a doozy.

It was a good learning experience for them all though. Now they know when I say don't bring your sick kid, now they know why.

If they are carrying it, chances are you are being exposed before they even show signs of symptoms.

I just tell my parents that they can not return until 24 hours after the last symptoms have occurred.

Comment

We just had the stomach bug here. It was absolutely horrible. Every child but two (out of 21) got it. Most parents. Some grandparents. All but one staff member. BAD!!! They say the Norovirus can be contagious up to 72 hours AFTER the last bout of vomiting and/or diarrhea. When the children come back after 24 hours, they are STILL contagious and that's why it keeps spreading. Yuck.

Comment

Honestly I think you cant blame illnesses on any one person.
          The boy could have had something totally different from what your assistant had. She could have caught it from anywhere, not necessarily from work. Germs are everywhere.

You cant exclude kids because someone they live with was sick.
          Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by meganlavonnesmommy View Post
            Honestly I think you cant blame illnesses on any one person.
            The boy could have had something totally different from what your assistant had. She could have caught it from anywhere, not necessarily from work. Germs are everywhere.

You cant exclude kids because someone they live with was sick.
            Just my opinion.
            I understand what you mean, however my assistant as the baby both came down with symptoms on the same night, the only one who had Symptoms before was the little boy and his parents....

I just wanted to know if anyone had anything in their policy about stomach viruses or returning after these symptoms of vomiting and or diahrea.

Comment

Working...
            X