What Do I Say To This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do I Say To This?

I recently started a daycare. I have a new child starting in a month. The problem is prior to working daycare I quit my job due to anxiety. Just found out that the new child's mom and my former boss are friends. New mom just texted me and asked if we could talk to "discuss some things". How do I handle it if she asks me about quitting my previous job? I do have anxiety, that is under control. I just found that working in the medical field was not for me, and caused added anxiety. Not sure what to tell this lady. I know this is what the lady wants to talk about because my former boss, out of the blue texted me as well, after 1 1/2 years without talking to her. Any advice will be appreciated.

Just tell her the truth. Alot of people quit there jobs to do daycare and if she has any concerns or you think she will be trouble being friends with your old boss. I would just tell her you and her are not the right fit and she should find someone else. Trust me if even before you are watching her child there is conflict. there will be way more later!

Comment

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what your boss did was illegal. Per HIPPA

I would be honest, but don't go into detail.

Comment

I would let her know that you will not be discussing your medical background with her. I'm not sure about in your state. Here you must have a background check,medical clearance from a doctor and fingerprinting. That should be enough information for her to make a decision about whether she would want you to care for her child or not.If you do feel comfortable sharing with her,just tell her the medical field was not for you.
        I would call your former boss and let her know that she crossed a line.
        She should know about the confidentiality law in the medical field.
        Sorry you have to deal with this.It's not any of her business,how would she like people knowing her background(surgeries,prescriptions she was on,etc.)
        There is a reason it is suppose to be confidential!

Comment

I don't think you owe the client an explanation of why you left your job. Just tell her you did not find the field to your liking and decided to try something else. She doesn't need to know that the job made you anxious unless it is something that would affect her child's care.

And, if the former boss, shared any confidential information about your quitting, that would be very unprofessional of her. Especially if she still works for the company. If she did give details to this client and it affects your employment, I would consider complaining to the human resources dept where she works. I agree with daycare...I think that it is illegal for her to share info like that.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
            Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what your boss did was illegal. Per HIPPA

I agree! I would definitely find out if this crosses a legal line.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post

ITA!!

None of her business!! I would report the old boss if this is in fact the case! Totally unprofessional

Comment

Thank you everyone for the advice. In my state we do have medical forms filled out by our physician that the doctor signs off stating no mental illness or substance abuse illness that could interfere with caring for children. So, I think I am going to show her that as well. I feel a lot better and appreciate the support.

Comment

If you find out that your old boss revealed your information, I would absolutely get in touch with her superiors and file a formal complaint. That is private information, and could even be considered a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Anxiety is a medical condition, and she is discrimanating against you by sharing your private information. I am so sorry that you are going through this. And cheers to you for recognizing that your other job wasn't a good fit for you - it's hard to make that decision, and very brave to admit when something isn't the right choice!

Comment

If she asks you why you quit, you simply say The medical field was not for me. If she mentions that you heard that it was due to anxiety, tell her that the medical field is a high pressure field, where the smallest mistake can cost someone thier life, would wouldn't be anxious? Then state you have a medical form filled out by your doctor saying that you are more then competant and qualified to be a childcare provider.

Comment

I wouldn't even offer to show the forms unless she asks to see them. I wouldn't discuss personal information with her at all. I agree with saved4always - just tell her, if she asks, that you left your former job because you weren't satisfied there and leave it at that.

Comment

My first thought was if she is worried about it, why is she sending her child to you? Its not like the child is already in your care and she finds something out. Maybe it has nothing to do with that.

Comment

IDK....

This topic begs the question: Do we, as childcare providers, have an ethical responsibility to disclose mental/psychiatric disorder/illness to prospective clients? (Not sure of the politically correct terminology these days, no offense intended to anyone)

As a parent, I am not sure I'd be OK with NOT being told. I am NOT sure I'd reject a provider based on her diagnosis.... BUT feel I should have all the facts to make an informed decision. :confused: At what point does the Parents right to know overshadow the providers right to earn an income. There is nothing in our training on this subject.

If my provider was an insulin dependent diabetic, I'd want to know... If she had a seizure disorder, I'd want to know... If she had a history of abusing drugs/alcohol, I'd want to know.... I think an anxiety disorder falls within the same line... POLITICALLY CORRECT or not, I'd want to know...

I could care less about the legal portion of the debate....lawyers and politicians are not generally held in my highest regards as humans . I am talking simple ETHICS. IDK....difficult topic, I am sure.
                          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

kr9atc

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                            IDK....

This topic begs the question: Do we, as childcare providers, have an ethical responsibility to disclose mental/psychiatric disorder/illness to prospective clients? (Not sure of the politically correct terminology these days, no offense intended to anyone)

As a parent, I am not sure I'd be OK with NOT being told. I am NOT sure I'd reject a provider based on her diagnosis.... BUT feel I should have all the facts to make an informed decision. :confused:

If my provider was an insulin dependent diabetic, I'd want to know... If she had a seizure disorder, I'd want to know... If she had a history of abusing drugs/alcohol, I'd want to know.... I think an anxiety disorder falls within the same line... POLITICALLY CORRECT or not, I'd want to know...

I could care less about the legal portion of the debate....lawyers and politicians are not generally held in my highest regards as humans . I am talking simple ETHICS. IDK....difficult topic, I am sure.
                            No, it's not for you to know. Why would you need to know if your daycare provider was a diabetic? In some states you are required to pass a background check,medical clearance and fingerprinting. The state and your doctor are the ones to decide if they are capable of taking care of children. Unfortunately it's not for you to decide. Would you want people judging you on your past or your medical background? Think if the state just came into your job and told your boss and all your coworkersyour medical history.You boss didn't like it and fired you.It's called discrimination and it's not legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                              IDK....

As a parent, I am not sure I'd be OK with NOT being told. I am NOT sure I'd reject a provider based on her diagnosis.... BUT feel I should have all the facts to make an informed decision.

I agree with ALL this. I think that parents have the right to know if a medical, physical, or mental condition would impact the care of their child. I think that asking these tough questions are the responsibility of the parent and discussing them is the responsibility of the provider.

These relationships are based on trust -- that trust goes BOTH ways. Just be honest and tell the parent how you handle anxiety issues when they arise.

Comment

Working...
                              X