Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is with these potty training BOOTCAMPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is with these potty training BOOTCAMPS?

So the last few interviews I have had for my very last part time spot have been a little crazy. Most of the moms are asking me to PT their 18mo-20mo kids. HUH??

So they tell me about this lady that does daycare down the street from me has all of the kids PT in less than 3 weeks, starting at 18 months of age.

My response was, well that is not the type of program that I offer here, I offer an educational program and will assist with potty training, but that is it.

I guess what I am now starting to wonder is how this lady does it? ANd is this something that is going to be the next HAVE TO DO thing to stay in business??

I am one for letting the child decide when they are ready, but that method just seems to be so unpopular to everyone that has walked through my door in the last few weeks.

Then this morning, I have a mom who tells me that she really wants me UP the PT process with her 3 year old. I have no response and just look at her like uh-huh sure, I'll get right to that.?????:confused:

Do you guys get approached with request such as this? DO any of you offer a PT program at all? Or do you only assist?
    I am starting to see a trend in my area that parents care more about their child being PT than anything else.

I thought well maybe I should just tell the parents go enroll your child with the BOOT CAMP lady and then you can bring them to me when they are done so that they can have the learning aspects of it all.... DOn't have the nerve to say it though.... Just a thought....::

their is a good chance that at the end of the "boot camp" the children are not indpentanly poty trained but rather are on a poty schedgule and only on in the poty because they are put on the poty like clock work.

Comment

Daycare, you live near wackadoodle people. I cannot believe the things they expect from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Meyou View Post
        Daycare, you live near wackadoodle people. I cannot believe the things they expect from you.
        lmbo what is a wackadoodle??????that sounds so funny..

I do live near some crazy people. In-short, I live in a very ritzy snobby area and these people have the highest expectations.... I have really had a hard time adjusting to this area, been here for about 4 years now and I still feel like I really don't fit in. I don't wear Prada Boots, drive a jag or have to have my hair and nails done on a weekly basis.

It is nice that I live in an area where people can afford my services, it's just more than impossible to live up to their expectation and I have already BTDT and won't

Comment

18 MONTHS ARE YOU JOKING???? I tried my daughter at 2 and she was not ready! She is now 2 years and 5 months and has been training about a week or so and is dry all day. I prompt her 80% of the time but she goes each time I bring her there. It is a challenge with 4 other kids in the mix and then in the PM adding 3 more kids but I do it. I was going to train her with the other two "2" year olds but that is NOT happening. My other daughter who is 2 is not ready and the DCG that is 2 going on 3 just sits there and does not show an interest. Her Mama is a little jealous I think of my DD seeing my DD is younger but it is about when the CHILD is ready not when the PARENT is ready. I hope my daughter will be 100% in a few weeks and then I can work with the DCG.

Since when did Potty Training become a competition...who's child is the youngest to train??? Come on now!! ::::::
          Proud Mommy of Six...

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
            lmbo what is a wackadoodle??????that sounds so funny..

I do live near some crazy people. In-short, I live in a very ritzy snobby area and these people have the highest expectations.... I have really had a hard time adjusting to this area, been here for about 4 years now and I still feel like I really don't fit in. I don't wear Prada Boots, drive a jag or have to have my hair and nails done on a weekly basis.

It is nice that I live in an area where people can afford my services, it's just more than impossible to live up to their expectation and I have already BTDT and won't
            Wackadoodle : http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=wackadoodle

LOL!! :::: NOT at you daycare, at the Urban Dictionary!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
              Wackadoodle : http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=wackadoodle

LOL!! :::: NOT at you daycare, at the Urban Dictionary!!
              ...ahahhahahaahha ok I get it..... I like the term I read Wack-job... this is all just too funny.

Thanks for the link that the Urban Dictionary, I am going to have a lot of fun with that.....Can't wait for my teens to get home from school.

Comment

My grandma took care of me, and supposedly, I was "potty trained" at 14 months. I think grandma had nothing else to do, quite frankly!

It IS common to train much earlier in some countries. We are more relaxed, but I personally think that if they are truly ready, they are is a whole lot less regression.

My sister had her daughter 100% trained at HOME, in Germany, by 19 months. But, as soon as she came here on vacation, it was one accident after the other. SHe really wasn't completely trained until almost 3-about the same week my son (3 weeks younger) was potty trained. Day & night, in 5 or 6 days.

So, in the end, they were on the same schedule, I just didn't have to deal with accidents and frustrations for a year and a half. I guess it's just a different perspective. I knew I had to change diapers, which for me, was much more "convenient" than having to deal with the other stuff.

Comment

very true about other countries training at at earlier age. I think it has a lot to do with is socially acceptable. I was also PT by my grannie, but it was by force and it was cruel.

I read a book a few years ago about why kids were PT at such a young age before and it made a lot of sense to me. Mom's stayed home and didnt work, (were talking 1950's here btw) Being an at home mom was very normal and was in fact a very competitive thing.

It was not sociably acceptable to have your child in diapers back then, as it was a reflection of your parenting. Children were often watched by friends of the church, relatives or neighbors and therefore put pressue on the moms to be accepted by their friends.

Not sure where I am going here with this, but from what everyone here replied with it sounds like no one here offers a PT program???

Comment

I have a 2 page potty training handout about my PT program - the fact that when a child is ready, I will help. But I cannot/won't take a child to the potty every 30 minutes. What would everyone else be doing? I don't even want to think about that. And my potty is right by the kitchen/family room. When they start to ask, I help them. Once they decide, it's amazing. One DCG was 2 1/2 last March and wanted to wear pull ups like the other DCG. I use pull ups to prevent accidents once they are training and telling me they need to go. So I told her mom to bring them since she was usually dry here. She had one accident between March and June, which is when we put her in panties. Always told me when she had to go. Of course I make everyone go before naps and outings.

Comment

I have seen a couple of segments on talk shows talking about Potty Training Boot Camps, so they do exist out there. I would imagine they are using a method similar to this book http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Trainin.../dp/0671693808.

I actually used this book when my oldest son turned 2 to potty train him (he's 27, so a quarter of a century ago ). It did work exactly as advertised. He was really, truly potty trained in less than one day. The kid never had one accident, ever, and was fully able to go to the restroom on his own.

Now, that being said, I would never, in a million years, use this method with any daycare child. I didn't even use it on my younger two children (found it really wasn't necessary). I was a dumb, young mom when I used it, and was petrified at the thought of potty training, so I was willing to try anything ::.

Comment

It sound like I live in a very similar demographic as you daycare. One mum even said the other day, " I just went out and bought a new Benz because I am
                        Not having a baby and everyone else is." okay lady - wouldn't that be nice.
                        She is desperate for her just 2 yearold son to be PT. he is so far from ready, and I know she doesn't want to put the effort forth to do the training. I refused, I am not pressuring a kid who is so obviously not ready just so Mum can brag.

I state in my handbook, PT'ing must be initiated at home and I will ASsISt in the process. I will also work with parents to determine readiness and have final say if they are ready to go 'sans' diapers in my house

Comment

Originally posted by godiva83 View Post
                          It sound like I live in a very similar demographic as you daycare. One mum even said the other day, " I just went out and bought a new Benz because I am
                          Not having a baby and everyone else is." okay lady - wouldn't that be nice.
                          She is desperate for her just 2 yearold son to be PT. he is so far from ready, and I know she doesn't want to put the effort forth to do the training. I refused, I am not pressuring a kid who is so obviously not ready just so Mum can brag.

I state in my handbook, PT'ing must be initiated at home and I will ASsISt in the process. I will also work with parents to determine readiness and have final say if they are ready to go 'sans' diapers in my house
                          How are you feeling Godiva? One week down on the bed rest right? How many more to go?

Comment

BBO - thanks so much for thinking of me... This forum and the ppl here are great!
                            I am finished my 2nd week and I am bored beyond believe, and eating way too much .
                            I feel okay, just the odd bit of cramps and spotting, which is stressful. I go see a high risk OBGYN Feb 16th to be reassessed and my fingers are crossed I will be off by then. We had a trip planned to Cuba Feb 24th, so I am really hoping a get the 'okay' to go - but I think I won't

Anyway, thanks again for thinking of me.

Comment

I think at 18mos to 20mos is a little crazy to start potty training. I have to say though that I am real cut throat with PT. I guess you could say it's bootcamp although I have never called it that. I do it the old fashion way the way my mom taught me when I was younger. And how I taught my own kids...not to mention my littles here. Proud to say all my littles are now completely potty trained!! One just started 3 wks ago and is wearing a pull up at nap bc he wets at nap but no accidents in 2 wks. I believe in having them start at home and on a weekend and then I will do the rest. Here I don't have many kids so I can focus on it and also my set up is really nice so it's really easy for me to potty train. For potty training they go comando for the first week no undies nothing and almost always they pee on the floor at least 2 times and then nothing as it's quiet a shock to them. ::::

Bc all mine go all the time my last one who got trained new what to exspect and was getting success at home...he had no problems going once we took that diaper a way....he was all for it and he loved going out and buying Thomas the Train undies. He always says...no pee peeing on Thomas...!!

By the 2nd week undies are on and the 3rd pants with undies. For this little guy that I just got done training...I trained in 3 days and for the past 2 wks he's been in undies. This upcoming we will be putting the pants on!! He knows how to get undies up and down no problems but does need assistance on getting pants up all the way as he likes to take everything off to pee...We'll continue to work on that though....

Man at 18mos?....(Shaking my Head)

Comment

Working...
                              X