Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies

What are your policies when it comes to infant/toddler allergies?

DCM claims that 15 month old DCG has allergies and that she isn't allowed to go outside. I said I'm sorry, I can try to limit it but I have 2 other toddlers today that I can't keep from going outside just because she can't.

What would you do?

Keep in mind that this DCM has lied to me numerous times about DCG having allergies when in fact she was really sick! Either that, or she's completely oblivious to when her child is truly sick.

Originally posted by TGT09 View Post
    What are your policies when it comes to infant/toddler allergies?

DCM claims that 15 month old DCG has allergies and that she isn't allowed to go outside. I said I'm sorry, I can try to limit it but I have 2 other toddlers today that I can't keep from going outside just because she can't.

What would you do?

Keep in mind that this DCM has lied to me numerous times about DCG having allergies when in fact she was really sick! Either that, or she's completely oblivious to when her child is truly sick.

You need to let her know that part of your activities includes outside play time. It is not fair for you to prohibit the others from playing outside due to the allergy. I'd be prepared to lose this client if I were you. Have they taken the child for allergy testing? If so, they need to be on some meds to help.

Comment

Look into your licensing rules. In Kansas it's a requirement for all children to spend @ least 1 hour outside each day (weather permitting).

Comment

In the state of Ohio, we do not need to be licensed.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be losing her anytime soon but yes, that's pretty much what I told her this morning.

DCM says she has had a ton of allergy testing done. I didn't think there was any meds to give a child that young but I just was researching online and I guess there are some things the doctor can give. I think I'm going to suggest to her to give him a call.

Comment

All children go out every day here. It's in my contract and I won't keep all of the children in for one. The parent signed the contract. The doctor can prescribe loratidine and a face mask. I'm the only caregiver here. The parent might want to look in to center care and see if they are willing to keep the child in during recess.
          I see little people.

Comment

Originally posted by Childminder View Post
            The parent might want to look in to center care and see if they are willing to keep the child in during recess.
            That's EXACTLY what I was just thinking. She didn't have any problem after I told her I couldn't do that. She just said ok. I took her dcg and another dcb to the park yesterday as a treat and she just wanted to make sure we weren't going back. She said she understood and that the backyard was fine.

Comment

I have it written that if a child can not participate in our activities then the child should be kept home.

Comment

My policy applies to allergy symptoms as well. Mine says that runny noses, coughing, sneezing, & runny eyes due to allergies or mild cold must be effectively treated to attend daycare. Also children must be able to participate in regular daycare activities which include outside playtime daily weather permitting.

What are her symptoms? What exactly is she allergic to? If it's just eye/nose irritation or something else mild or treatable then I'd insist on my policies if she wants to stay. If she truly can't go outside then I'd consider that a special need that I'm not equipped to deal with. If that's the case, I'd recommend that she find a daycare with multiple caregivers. That way someone will be able to stay inside with her daughter during outside playtime.

Comment

Clear, runny nose. Coughing. Sneezing. Runny eyes. CRANKINESS!

I think she's allergic to a few things but mother insinuated that it was outdoor allergies. Which is understandable since our pollen count is ridiculous! But, I need to be able to carry on with my daily activities. I've been putting off printing out my handbook to give out again but I might just have to do that along with a newsletter.

Comment

I like all the advice given so far and id also make the mom give me a note from the dr's office stating what the dcg's issues are and if she needs special care tell mom your not equiped to deal with it, otherwise you will stick to your normal activities..I also have it stated that if their child has 'allergie's' they are required to bring kleenex and meds..
                    Kiddie Care

Comment

If mom wants, she can give dcg Zyrtec or Benedryl, even at that young of an age. The pediatrician or a pharmacist can tell her the appropriate dosage. If she's been tested for allergies, then the dr. should have given mom that info.

I'd tell mom we are going outside and if she wants to give dcg some meds, she should do it at bedtime to help counteract the drowsiness that it may cause. Or, mom can keep her at home if she can't go outside.

Comment

She made the comment "I can't keep her souped up on Benedryl".

Comment

Claritin, fluconisol (nasal sparay), etc. are good alternatives to Benadryl and they work VERY WELL. They do not cause the symptoms of Benadryl either.

My son has SEVERE allergies and has been using these since he was little, they work great.

If Mom has had allergy testing done, I'd request a doctor's note with advice on how to treat the allergies. I DOUBT she has had any testing done....most Doctor's refuse to test before at least two years of age.

Comment

that is crazy my eight year old son has horrible allergies and asthma and if its that bad I keep him home they don't have someone at school to stay in with him. I give him his meds and thats all I can. I have tons with runny noses and we don't stay in if they want they then stay home. I love when they blame allergies on everything

Comment

Originally posted by TGT09 View Post
                              She made the comment "I can't keep her souped up on Benedryl".
                              ::What does she do when she has allergies? I bet she makes sure she constantly has something in her system!

Comment

Working...
                              X