Need One Good Toddler Activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need One Good Toddler Activity

we are having visitors tommorow-another provider with a small group of kids, 18 mo, 21mo, 2 1/2, and 5. Mine are 18mo, 18 mo, 22mo, and 3. That's a lot of toddlers!

They will be here one hour, and I need an activity that will be fun for the whole group. Nothing to "ordinary" like making salt dough. I want a little "wow' factor, because this nice provider is well known and will probably be excellent advertisement (word of mouth) for me.

The other provider is more of a "babysitter" type, from what I've gathered so far. NOT criticizing, btw!

Does anyone have an idea? I can run out and get some supplies tonight!

Birgit

When I was a 1yr old teacher, we did something called "sticky feet". The only thing you need is clear contact paper (you can find it in Wal-mart) and masking tape. If hou have a large enough space on tile or linoleum, tape contact paper sticky side up to floor. Then take off socks and shoes and watch them go. It's one of the funniest things I've seen.

Comment

I'm going to do this next week. Mine are 17 months.

Here is a fun and fast little Valentine craft project to do with the kids: Tissue Paper Stained Glass Hearts. They are fun to make and will brighten up your window even on a gloomy winter day. This post was originally published on: Jan 21, 2010 @ 07:59. Valentine Craft Stained Glass Heart Materials: Tissue Paper …

I'm thinking it could be adapted to the ages--the older kids could tear their own paper while you had it pre-cut for the babies.

I'm also going to try this although I think it's more of a "teacher craft with a child's name on it".
       Valentine's Day is just around the corner. We're getting a head start on our projects this year, mostly because Claire loves working on ...

Comment

How messy are you willing to get?

I would totally give them shaving cream on the table (with a little food coloring) and let them have at it.

Or some paint with some really odd tools like kitchen utensils(potato mashers, baby bottle brushes, etc) or toilet plungers (new, of course! )

But Im a little nutty like that.

Seriously though, I would put out activities/toys that they may not have at the other providers. Seeing something new may just keep them busy for an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
          I'm going to do this next week. Mine are 17 months.

Here is a fun and fast little Valentine craft project to do with the kids: Tissue Paper Stained Glass Hearts. They are fun to make and will brighten up your window even on a gloomy winter day. This post was originally published on: Jan 21, 2010 @ 07:59. Valentine Craft Stained Glass Heart Materials: Tissue Paper …

My girls have done this in preschool - we have hearts, stars, butterflies.... I think this is a fun and easy thing to do that the kids really like

Comment

Originally posted by melskids View Post
            How messy are you willing to get?

I would totally give them shaving cream on the table (with a little food coloring) and let them have at it.

Or some paint with some really odd tools like kitchen utensils(potato mashers, baby bottle brushes, etc) or toilet plungers (new, of course! )

But Im a little nutty like that.

Seriously though, I would put out activities/toys that they may not have at the other providers. Seeing something new may just keep them busy for an hour.
            Yeah I'd do something like this too. I'm not big on "finished" art and toddlers aren't able to do 90% of what's required for some crafts. Messy art is where it's at!! I once had 15 toddlers at full attention by taking a handful of feathers and just blowing them out of my hand to float down while they tried to catch them over and over and over..... ::

Comment

so, we ended up just doing free play with the other provider and I sitting on the floor, getting to know each other a little. The kids did GREAT! yayhappyface

Turns out, the other provider has a small group, but she has loads of experience in centers.

We realized that once a few more of the kids turn 2, we can help each other out as subsitutes, or split up our group differently and take older ones on a field trip, or take everyone on a field trip together. yay!

When I was in the city upteen years ago, I had 3 other providers in my neighborhood to take walks with, vent with, or meet at the park. Looks like I have someone here I could do those things with too!

Thanks for the ideas, ladies. Next time, they will come a little longer (since it worked out so well), and we can do some fun, messy art.

Comment

I love that you can do this. I tried reaching out to another provider near me, and while she was polite, it didn't leave me feeling friendly. I mentioned forming a loose group but she shut that down in a hurry. It's a shame, especially since I've sent her 2 kids that I didn't have room for here. I'd dearly, dearly love someone in real life to talk to now and then.

Comment

Working...
                X