Speaking of McD's Nuggets....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of McD's Nuggets....

15 years of nothing but nuggets...........

Yahoo Life is your source for style, beauty, and wellness, including health, inspiring stories, and the latest fashion trends.

:confused::confused::confused:

I wonder if Mom will be investigated for allowing this? And, should she be?

That is neglect. I think she should for sure be investigated for child neglect. What lazy woman!!!!!!!!

Comment

Will she be? Maybe.

Should she be? Maybe.

What ought to come of this but probably won't? A higher awareness of the extent to which some sensory issues can develop--this sounds like a highly extreme case of oral sensory issues. I'd be willing to put money on her having a wide variety of other sensory issues.

Picky eating is actually basically an eating disorder. Some people literally have a list of 6 or fewer foods that they are willing to eat, and it's not just stubbornness, they really seem to be incapable of eating other things. The things on those lists tend to be high in fat/sugar, white/light colored, and almost always include chicken nuggets. It's NOT always lazy parenting. It may not even MOSTLY be lazy parents. Some kids just. will. not. eat. and some parents/doctors don't have the awareness or education to stop and say "WHOA. Time out, something is WRONG and I need to find out what it is."

It sounds stupid to say, "Picky eating is a disorder" but it is very much linked to sensory issues, sensory processing issues, and autism.
      Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

And the Pediatrician was never consulted? :confused:

In 15 years.....
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
          Will she be? Maybe.

Should she be? Maybe.

What ought to come of this but probably won't? A higher awareness of the extent to which some sensory issues can develop--this sounds like a highly extreme case of oral sensory issues. I'd be willing to put money on her having a wide variety of other sensory issues.

Picky eating is actually basically an eating disorder. Some people literally have a list of 6 or fewer foods that they are willing to eat, and it's not just stubbornness, they really seem to be incapable of eating other things. The things on those lists tend to be high in fat/sugar, white/light colored, and almost always include chicken nuggets. It's NOT always lazy parenting. It may not even MOSTLY be lazy parents. Some kids just. will. not. eat. and some parents/doctors don't have the awareness or education to stop and say "WHOA. Time out, something is WRONG and I need to find out what it is."

It sounds stupid to say, "Picky eating is a disorder" but it is very much linked to sensory issues, sensory processing issues, and autism.
          You learn something new everyday! So, now you have me thinking because my little brother will only eat stuff like hot dogs, cheese, bologna, salami, etc. My mom has to make him a seperate meal. If they have spaghetti she has to take the meat out in order to get him to eat it. Picky eater? (hes 8) or something else going on?

Comment

Will she be? Maybe.

Should she be? Maybe.

Although I do understand that this is an issue, at what point as a parent do you say "ok my kid has eaten nothing but chicken nuggets for a month....something is wrong"? I think when this mental process doesn't happen we're either dealing with a person of very low intelligence or someone who just couldn't be bothered to figure out a better way. Even if a multi-vitamin was provided it would have been better than nothing. I dunno the whole situation is so strange :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
              Although I do understand that this is an issue, at what point as a parent do you say "ok my kid has eaten nothing but chicken nuggets for a month....something is wrong"? I think when this mental process doesn't happen we're either dealing with a person of very low intelligence or someone who just couldn't be bothered to figure out a better way. Even if a multi-vitamin was provided it would have been better than nothing. I dunno the whole situation is so strange :confused:
              That's the whole "parent/doctor lack of awareness" thing I mentioned. Many, many, MANY doctors would just shrug and say, "well at least she's eating," or, "she seems healthy," or "All you need to do is...", 'or "What do you want me to do? She's not sick!"

Many parents would say the same thing. Many, many people just write it off, as several people have mentioned, as a lazy parent. Just like with colic and babies who scream for hours on end--"it's normal" "mom holds the baby too much" "babies are supposed to cry". When really, many times you're dealing with undiagnosed food allergies, sensory issues, etc.

Comment

That's the whole "parent/doctor lack of awareness" thing I mentioned. Many, many, MANY doctors would just shrug and say, "well at least she's eating," or, "she seems healthy," or "All you need to do is...", 'or "What do you want me to do? She's not sick!"

Many parents would say the same thing. Many, many people just write it off, as several people have mentioned, as a lazy parent. Just like with colic and babies who scream for hours on end--"it's normal" "mom holds the baby too much" "babies are supposed to cry". When really, many times you're dealing with undiagnosed food allergies, sensory issues, etc.
                Yes I've definately heard of this too!! I guess I can only see things from my own point of view. I don't just blindly trust whatever a DR tells me...but obviously not everyone is like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post
                  You learn something new everyday! So, now you have me thinking because my little brother will only eat stuff like hot dogs, cheese, bologna, salami, etc. My mom has to make him a seperate meal. If they have spaghetti she has to take the meat out in order to get him to eat it. Picky eater? (hes 8) or something else going on?
                  I HATED tomato sauce as a child, so I had a pile of ground beef and a pile of noodles with butter and parm cheese. Lots of kids are that way - not liking foods mixed/touching. My almost 10 year old still doesn't like tomato based items. Loves fresh tomatoes though.

Comment

It is one thing to consider it negliect or endangerment at 2- 5 years old but at 17 the child is almost an adult and the parent no longer realy has controll over what they eat.

Yes the parent can still controll what is eaten at home, but a child that age goes to school, friends house, maybe has a job, is allowed to go for a "walk" (to the nearest 7-11) ect..

In my house sI can till when one of my teenagers has gotten ahold of a "munch" of junk food. However, it is not like I can do anything about it other than let them know why they should not eat that way.

Comment

I just got up and gave my daughter her multivitamin for the day...

Comment

We rolled up to a bank window once and my daugther yelled from the backseat "i want chicken nuggets"
                        "God said, ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"
                        Acts 13:22

Comment

Okay, I have a hard time swallowing this, but I'll take your word on this, as I have very little knowledge of sensory issues and the like. But....fast foods as we know them have not been around very long. We truly do not know the connection of the 'stuff' they put in fast food and health problems. Haven't there been families that noticed some symptoms of autism and aspergers was lessened with dietary changes?
                          So, my question would be...is choosing to eat only crap food caused by a disorder or is the disorder caused by the crap food?

Comment

Originally posted by AmyLeigh View Post
                            Okay, I have a hard time swallowing this, but I'll take your word on this, as I have very little knowledge of sensory issues and the like. But....fast foods as we know them have not been around very long. We truly do not know the connection of the 'stuff' they put in fast food and health problems. Haven't there been families that noticed some symptoms of autism and aspergers was lessened with dietary changes?
                            So, my question would be...is choosing to eat only crap food caused by a disorder or is the disorder caused by the crap food?
                            Um....yes?

It's not so much exactly "choosing" to eat only crap food...it's more...they have a very limited profile of textures/flavors that are acceptable/tolerable to their palate.

Families that have seen improvement with dietary changes usually have eliminated not "crap" so much as gluten and dairy, sometimes soy as well. and yes, eliminating those has the happy side effect of eliminating crap as well.

But, potatoes have been around for eons. Rice has been around for eons. Noodles have been around for a long time. The diets of people with these picky eating issues tend to be very bland, very light in color. They do not like flavorings or herbs/spices, even butter on rice or noodles, even salt on things sometimes.

YES the junk causes health issues. YES we don't know the full extent of them. YES the government approves stuff and touts it as being safe without actually knowing the full impact. NO the government does NOT have our best interest in mind (it has $$$ in mind).

NO a child refusing to eat more than a limited profile of foods does NOT equal a terrible, neglectful parent--sometimes people with the best, most varied and nutritious diets in the world have children who just will. Not. Eat. My sister has two of them. They just won't eat...and they don't resort to only fast food because they have hardly ever *had* the stuff, and they are NOT that extreme, but they are very picky kids. One has diagnosed sensory processing disorder.

Many, many reason can exist for extreme picky eating...

Children with autism often have sensory issues, extreme sensory issues, both sensory avoidant (like eating, sounds, certain fabrics) and sensory seeking (hand flapping, rocking, shrieking). It varies in every autistic person.

Some children are more or less born anorexic and have a very limited profile of foods and struggle *their whole lives* with eating enough to survive. I know someone whose DD is like this. She NEVER wanted to eat, even as an infant. Was diagnosed with anorexia at 3 or 5 or something like that. If she wants to eat something, the let her, they don't care...they're just glad she's eating *something* without a fight.

There are probably hundreds of other perfectly legitimate conditions and reasons for a child to be an extreme picky eater.

just because you've never experienced it, doesn't mean it's not real. Just because you don't know, or aren't yourself, a picky eater, doesn't mean that everyone who has a picky child is a moronic lazy parent who deserves to be thrown in prison or have their children taken from them.

Comment

just because you've never experienced it, doesn't mean it's not real.
                              So true. That is the case with a lot of things.
                              Thank you for the information. It may prove to be helpful to me (and others) in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X