Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Free Play Do You Allow Your Littles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Free Play Do You Allow Your Littles?

How much free play do you allow your littles?

Here's my schedule:

6:30-8:30: Free play, TV is on to help out with hectic drop offs (Educational shows only- LeapFrog Phonics, etc)

9:00 Snack
    9:15: Craft/Art Project, outdoor project in nice weather
    10:00-12:00 Free play
    12:00 Lunch
    12:45 Songs/Story time
    1-3:00 naps
    3:00-5:30 Free play

So, as you can see, I have a TON of free play- but I have 2 year olds - 4yrs, and they create the most wonderful games, and keep themselves occupied. They don't hurt eachother, play anything inappropriate, or anything, and I have always throught that creativity and free play was very important. AND, yes, it makes for an easier day when they all occupy each other.

Can you have too much free play?

Nah, not really, IMO. Childhood ideally should be one long free play session

If they are playing well, focused and constructive and creative, not fighting with each other or inventing troulbe, then the free play is working for them.

When you start seeing their behavior deteriorate, the it might be time to change the plan a little bit.
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

IMPO, free play IS developmentally appropriate for kids that age. If you supply the right equipment and materials and are available for support and guidance then your DCK's ARE benefitting from the freeplay.

So in response to your question "Can you have too much free play?", my answer is "If done appropriately, No, you cannot have too much freeplay."

Comment

I have only been doing this since April (so I am not judging) but it does seem like a bit much. I am by no means a certified preschool teacher but I would throw in some workbook pages, name writing (skills they need for kinder). Not only do the parents love that but so do they! Game time maybe, board games, silly dancing songs, ect. I do most all my preschool type activities in the morning with a little free play in between set up time. In the afternoon after snack we have free time mixed up with a game or reading a story if they were to get hyper. But you have to do what works for your kids and for you. I would also think that might be to much tv time ( I am not allowed to do more than an hour a day). I say if they are playing on their own then no TV.

Comment

IMPO, the more free play the better. The last thing kids need is to rely on adults to entertain them. They nwed to learn how to play and have an imagination! If we are having a lot of free play (even when its just my ds here) I clean up all the toys often so they can start over and arent getting overwhelmed.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
            Nah, not really, IMO. Childhood ideally should be one long free play session

If they are playing well, focused and constructive and creative, not fighting with each other or inventing troulbe, then the free play is working for them.

When you start seeing their behavior deteriorate, the it might be time to change the plan a little bit.
            Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            IMPO, free play IS developmentally appropriate for kids that age. If you supply the right equipment and materials and are available for support and guidance then your DCK's ARE benefitting from the freeplay.

So in response to your question "Can you have too much free play?", my answer is "If done appropriately, No, you cannot have too much freeplay."

ABSOLUTELY agree! happyface

Worksheets and handwriting pages are not developmentally appropriate for 2 to 4 year olds.

Children that young learn best through purposeful play and meaningful experiences.

Comment

I don't think you can have too much free play for kids. They have 13 years of school. Let them have birth to 5 to be kids!!!!! I have the 2 and under bunch. We have at least that much free play. We go outside daily in good weather. We have a craft/play dough/finger paint (coming soon) a couple of times a week. We stop and dance to music when things get slow. I use the Cedarmont Kids videos in the afternoons at pick up. The kids love them.

Comment

Originally posted by lovelife View Post
                I have only been doing this since April (so I am not judging) but it does seem like a bit much. I am by no means a certified preschool teacher but I would throw in some workbook pages, name writing (skills they need for kinder). Not only do the parents love that but so do they! Game time maybe, board games, silly dancing songs, ect. I do most all my preschool type activities in the morning with a little free play in between set up time. In the afternoon after snack we have free time mixed up with a game or reading a story if they were to get hyper. But you have to do what works for your kids and for you. I would also think that might be to much tv time ( I am not allowed to do more than an hour a day). I say if they are playing on their own then no TV.
                The best gift a child care provider could give a kindergarten teacher is a child who knows how to wait in line, take turns, dress and undress themself, have good social skills and manners.....NOT children who can write their letters and recite the alphabet in 4 languages.....that will all come in time and naturally on the developmental timeline each kid has.

Worksheets and craft items are fun but are predominately not developmentally appropriate and for a lot of providers it is done to appease the parents who want tangible items from their child (even though 75% of the crafts are completed by the providers..)

My dck's earn how to recognize their names and write them WHILE engaging in freeplay rather than sitdown lesson times. They learn how while playing school, office or cafe. They learn all sorts of things during freeplay and sometimes they don't even know they are learning.

I have had a few kids who actually liked (and had the attention spans) to sit and do pre-printed worksheets but given the choice, most would rather interact with their peers and play. There is ALOT to be said for natural instincts...

Comment

I'm amazed daily by the things my kids learn when they just play. Just yesterday I learned that if two kids bump heads hard enough one of the heads flies off and the t-rex eats it. I never would have learned that in a workbook and neither would they.

Comment

Originally posted by lovelife View Post
                    I have taught them (the 3 year olds), how to write their name, and we occasionally do workbooks, but I do not push it. The TV is only on in the mornings, and is basically a distraction while all of the kids arrive- nothing is more hectic than all of the kids wanting to rush to the door for every arrival If you have any suggestions for a calm drop off other than TV I would LOVE to hear it- willing to do anything to make that part of the day smoother

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      I have taught them (the 3 year olds), how to write their name, and we occasionally do workbooks, but I do not push it. The TV is only on in the mornings, and is basically a distraction while all of the kids arrive- nothing is more hectic than all of the kids wanting to rush to the door for every arrival If you have any suggestions for a calm drop off other than TV I would LOVE to hear it- willing to do anything to make that part of the day smoother
                      We are a no TV house. (During daycare)

I have "stations" set up in the morning for them to choose from when they come in. Some are centers that will be out all day, and some are activities specifically for drop off and pick up time. I try to choose things they haven't seen in a while, dont' need much direct supervision, and that are relatively quiet.

This morning, the kids came in, said their goodbyes, hung up their coats, and headed straight to an activity. I had books on tape set out with old walkmans (they are allowed to use themselves), a cool 3D puzzle they haven't seen in a while, foam blocks in the block area, and jumbo magnet thingys...I forget what they're called...

But they are used to this routine. They come in and go straight to work.

As far as them "rushing" the door with every drop off....mine would do that too. I put a tape line down that they are not allowed to cross. They know they have to wait until the child entering comes all the way in before greeting them.

Comment

Absolutely not!! no such thing. Read the book "The Play's The Thing". For kids learning IS play.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          How much free play do you allow your littles?

Here's my schedule:

6:30-8:30: Free play, TV is on to help out with hectic drop offs (Educational shows only- LeapFrog Phonics, etc)

9:00 Snack
                          9:15: Craft/Art Project, outdoor project in nice weather
                          10:00-12:00 Free play
                          12:00 Lunch
                          12:45 Songs/Story time
                          1-3:00 naps
                          3:00-5:30 Free play

So, as you can see, I have a TON of free play- but I have 2 year olds - 4yrs, and they create the most wonderful games, and keep themselves occupied. They don't hurt eachother, play anything inappropriate, or anything, and I have always throught that creativity and free play was very important. AND, yes, it makes for an easier day when they all occupy each other.

Can you have too much free play?
                          I have a schedule too, but with everyone sick, and colicky, I don't even bother. Just go play. I try to organize some play ideas, but that is about it. It is too stressful to do much else.

Comment

I have alot of free play so I copied this that another provider in my area sent to me and posted it and gave a copy to all my parents.

JUST PLAYING
                            When I'm building in the block room,
                            Please don't say I'm "Just playing."
                            For, you see, I'm learning as I play,
                            About balance, I may be an Architect someday.
                            When I'm getting all dressed up,
                            Setting the table, or caring for the babies,
                            Don't get the idea I'm "Just Playing."
                            I may be a mother or father someday.
                            When you see me up to my elbows in paint,
                            Or standing at an easel,
                            Or molding and shaping clay,
                            Please don't let me hear you say,
                            "He is Just Playing."
                            For, you see, I"m learning as I play.
                            I just might be a teacher someday.
                            When you see me engrossed in a puzzle
                            Or some "playing" at my school,
                            Please don't feel the time is wasted in "play."
                            For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
                            I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate
                            I may be in business someday.
                            When you see me cooking or tasting foods,
                            Please don't think that because I enjoy it,
                            It is "Just Play."
                            I'm learning to follow directions
                            And see the differences.
                            I may be a cook someday.
                            When you see me learning to skip, hop, run,
                            and move my body,
                            Please don't say I'm "Just Playing."
                            I'm learning how my body works.
                            I may be a doctor, nurse, or athlete someday.
                            When you ask me what I've done
                            at school today.
                            And I say, "I just played."
                            Please don't misunderstand me.
                            I'm learnning to enjoy and be successful
                            in my work.
                            I'm preparing for tomorrow.
                            Today, I am a child and my work is play.
                            ~~~Author unknown~~~

Comment

looks good to me...

My schedule is similar. The main difference is that I am tryin:g to spend more time "lingering" over meals, especially breakfast. Mine is at 8:30, and we rarely leave the table before 9. We sit and talk, and when everyone is done eating we might sing some songs or read a story. I have young toddler, so that is one time they are a captive audience. Yesterday, I pulled over my lap top and we watch a few OLD Sesame Street videos. Somehow, the subject of Cookie Monster came up, so we watched "C is for Cookie" and a couple others.

My kids are not "strong" free-players, so sometimes I have to extend things to eat up a little time, or I end up spending WAY to much time playing referee.

Comment

Working...
                              X