Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naptime For The Provider! Can I Take A Nap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naptime For The Provider! Can I Take A Nap?

Just wondering your thoughts on naptime for the provider

ALL 6 of my kiddos sleep 1:30 until 3:30, sometimes longer. I have a very open floorplan, and can hear everything at all times. 3 of the kids are my own, so I have that "mommy instinct," that wakes me up in 1/2 a second- I am a very light sleeper. Sooooooo, here's my question.

Would it be inappropriate if I took a cat-nap on the couch (central of the house) while the kids were sleeping, IF it were somewhere I could hear everyone AND everyone was already alseep?

Do any of you guys do this already? Do you think the parents would care?

It is illegal, here.

If you are unregulated, maybe it would be allowed with parent permission? IDK....

I'd be too afraid of a child dying or being injured because I missed something.

I know there are 3rd shift providers who MUST sleep, but I don't think I could take that kind of risk.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I don't know what your laws are in your state but as a parent, if I was paying you to watch/care for my children and I found out you were napping, I would be livid! I would also remove my children from your care. But that is my personal opinion.

We had a report in our area of a provider doing just that and we found out there are no actual laws saying she can't but our licensor said that she would not recommend doing this. She also said that if the provider was going to continue she should have something on file stating the parents were aware that she was napping on their dime.

Me, as a provider? I would NEVER EVER in a million years nap while the children were in my care. I pee as quick as I can and I think I might be down to less than 15 seconds on that and I still feel bad...

Comment

It's illegal here, too, and as a parent I'd be pi$$ed off enough to report it if I found out my provider was asleep while my children were in care.

Comment

I don't think it is a wise idea, but I think it depends on the person, lic'd or not, your relationship with the family...and such.

If I sent my daughter somewhere I'd probably be upset if they slept while she was there...but if it were my friend who was keeping her for me and I knew she was in a crib it'd probably be ok.

Who knows.

Comment

I would never, even nap when the kids are here. I'm right by them too but its my responsibility to be alert for them if they need me.

I've had more than one parent tell me that I SHOULD nap, since they tell mothers to 'nap while the kids nap', but I make it clear that will never happen. I'm not the mommy, I'm the daycare provider

Comment

I do this if everyone is napping at the same time. I only have young toddlers and infants right now though so they are safe in pack and plays (or my son in his crib). Parents know I do and are fine with it. Its not an every day thing and only after things are ready for them to wake up. I have baby monitors for both rooms.

Comment

I would never, ever. It is unprofessional. I am paid to care for children, not to nap. I think it is just plain lazy honestly.

Comment

Surprised by everyone's reaction

I am actually surprised by everyone's reactions. Is it really that bad to set an alarm and close my eyes for 30 minutes or so, while everyone is safe sleeping in cribs and PNP's?
                  (Maybe it is- which is why I wanted everyone else's opinions, but still, I am surprised). The parents don't pay me to do my laundry or dishes, but I do that when they sleep. I have had these kids for over a year and know their patterns- obviously if they were sick, etc that would be different. Maybe I am playing Devil's advocate here, but what could possibly happen? Everyone is asleep! We are talking 30 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I am actually surprised by everyone's reactions. Is it really that bad to set an alarm and close my eyes for 30 minutes or so, while everyone is safe sleeping in cribs and PNP's?
                    (Maybe it is- which is why I wanted everyone else's opinions, but still, I am surprised). The parents don't pay me to do my laundry or dishes, but I do that when they sleep. I have had these kids for over a year and know their patterns- obviously if they were sick, etc that would be different. Maybe I am playing Devil's advocate here, but what could possibly happen? Everyone is asleep! We are talking 30 minutes.
                    I don't do my laundry while kids are asleep but I do the dishes because that is part of daycare..the kids ate off the dishes so I have to wash them while I am awake and alert and able to care for them. Napping is not awake, alert or available for care.

What could happen?? Do you really have to ask??

Comment

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
                      I would never, ever. It is unprofessional. I am paid to care for children, not to nap. I think it is just plain lazy honestly.
                      I am open 12 hours a day, and some of the children are here all 12 hours. I have a very structured routine, take them outside, teach them everything, potty train them, and bust my behind. No tv. I work very, very hard. It is not laziness, it is human nature to need to get refreshed, so I can work hard until pick up time. If a child is in a PNP, asleep, why not? I have no infants so SIDS is not an issue. IF they crawled out of their PNP, I have everything gated, but that has yet to happen, AND I would wake up, as my couch is 15 feet away from the room where they are sleeping. If I leave their door open I can hear them.

Comment

It is illegal here, as well. That was really tough when I was pregnant, I have to tell you. Occasionally, I admit, I'd sit down in a chair and nod off (this was over 11 years ago)

I do all sorts of things when the kids are sleeping, fold laundry, clean up, schoolwork, and projects. Sleeping is not one of them...

If something did happen, and it was determined you were sleeping, you'd probably be in a heap of trouble. I just wouldn't take the risk, even if it's not against your regs.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post
                          I do this if everyone is napping at the same time. I only have young toddlers and infants right now though so they are safe in pack and plays (or my son in his crib). Parents know I do and are fine with it. Its not an every day thing and only after things are ready for them to wake up. I have baby monitors for both rooms.
                          My infant son was safe and sound in his crib, too.... The provider was in the shower when he died.....

I just don't think I could live with that as a provider. She owns a mirror, too.

Sure, it is a rare thing.... but it does happen. When it does, life will NEVER be the same.

It is a different level of responsibility, caring for someone elses kids.

Please don't think I am coming down on you.... I probably would have felt the same way if it had not happened to me.
                          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                            My infant son was safe and sound in his crib, too.... The provider was in the shower when he died.....

I just don't think I could live with that as a provider. She owns a mirror, too.

Sure, it is a rare thing.... but it does happen. When it does, life will NEVER be the same.

It is a different level of responsibility, caring for someone elses kids.

Please don't think I am coming down on you.... I probably would have felt the same way if it had not happened to me.
                            I'm so sorry, Cath-

Comment

I don't think it is terrible. I do my laundry during naptime but then my washing machine & dryer are off to the side of my kitchen in plain sight of the kitchen & play area. But then I only care for 2-3 kids at a time. I am sorry that someone called you lazy. Gee whiz people give her a break. You don't know what sort of sleep she gets at night & I find nothing wrong with taking a 30 min catnap so long as all kids are asleep & are on baby monitors & you are not a heavy sleeper. I personally don't nap but I won't point fingers & say it is terrible or that she is lazy to do so so long as she is responsible about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X