No announcement yet.

Telling Parents About Language Delays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telling Parents About Language Delays?

I have a 20 month old DCG that has been with me now for a couple of months. She's part-time 3 days a week. She uses maybe 3-5 words consistantly and 2 of them I taught her while she was here. The parents told me in the interview that she uses 15-20 words but she never speaks here. She also never babbles which is the most concerning for me. Her comprehension is excellent and she's above average in other developmental areas.

I'm getting concerned because by 24 months she should be using 100-150 words and making 2-3 word sentences and there is no way she'll get there in the next few months. I'd like them to get her assessed. It's free where I live so it's not a big deal and waitng lists are long so I think they should get in right away.

How do I bring this up? I brought it up with a previous mom who's 2 yr old wasn't talking and it didn't go well. I brought it up at the door at pickup time so I'm not sure if this is why or if it was just denial. How else should I go about it? Casually bring it up in an e-mail? Anyone BTDT?

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My grandson didn't say a word, not one word until he was 2 yrs and 3 months old. The doctors were never concerned about it. I guess he had nothing to say:: Now he's a little chatterbox

Comment

I really wouldn't worry about it at this point. Children at that age can easily pick up that many words between 20 and 24 months. My daughter barely said anything understandable at 20 months and at 22/23 months she was talking up a storm. I've had dcks do the exact same thing at later ages (barely talking and then talking a bunch within a few short months). In fact, I currently have a 3-year old that had a very limited vocabulary 2 months before turning 3 (less than a 50 word vocabulary) and now is completely understood and talking in sentences (in a matter of 3 months).

If I had to say something to the parents, I would wait until I've had plenty of time to work with the child myself (like 3 months) to see if I could improve the language. I might give nonchalant suggestions to the parents on how they could also improve their child's speech (such as reading books, having the child repeat words, repeating what the child says, etc.). If I do not notice any improvement or very limited improvement over a period of 3 months, then I might suggest what you mentioned ("It's free where I live so it's not a big deal and waiting lists are long so I think they should get in right away."). Many speech therapists won't really work with children until closer to the age of 3 anyway (at least where I am at).

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it yet if her comprehension is great. I've had several kids over the years that said practically nothing until after 2 years old and then spoke in full sentences.

Comment

When I have had children in my care with developmental or behavioral concerns I research and find articles or classes and programs that address the issue and print off copies. I have gone as far as contacting agencies and programs to find out what, as a caregiver, I can do or how to handle it. Sometimes the local school district will direct you or provide assistance. That being said, I think that the child is probably too young to be concerned yet. Just keep observing, documenting and caring for her.
          I see little people.

Comment

I would wait it out. Some kids are just not very verbal. The important thing is that she does understand and can follow direction, etc. That way you at least know it is not a hearing issue. I would mention it to mom right before her 2 year checkup and see what the doctor says. Some kids really explode verbally at some point and go straight to full out conversations, not everyone develops at the same pace.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will wait another month before addressing my concerns. I too know a few children who had spoken very little and then started talking in full sentences but they were few and far between the children who struggled and needed actual help. Because she's developing well in all other areas I feel comfortable waiting it out a bit longer

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                I'm getting concerned because by 24 months she should be using 100-150 words and making 2-3 word sentences and there is no way she'll get there in the next few months.
                You never know. I have a little one who was saying maybe 3 words consistantly from 18-21 months... now a month later all of a sudden she won't stop talking!! Her comprehension is also excellent and she's above average in all other areas like your little one. I say don't worry about it just yet!

I didn't talk until I was 2 either

Comment

Working...
                X