Kids Are Gagging Themselves Because They Don't Like Broccoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Are Gagging Themselves Because They Don't Like Broccoli

I made a cold pasta salad that has broccoli. I encourage everyone to take at least one bite. One girl took it to the extreme and put two big bites in her mouth. Then gagged herself because she realized she didn't like it. Now she's playing chipmunk and holding it all in her cheek. The other girl has separated it from the rest of her salad and stalling to try it.

Ahhh. Lunchtime battles. Of course they'll be starving at snack time. Maybe we'll have carrots or celery.

I do the whole encouraging at least one bite thing too... but if they are adamant they do not want to try I just let it go. I have one that will make himself vomit.

Comment

I can always tell lunchtime battles are worse on Monday. I'm sure these kids live on processed and fast food all weekend, so of course they aren't going to want a home cooked meal with fresh veggies from scratch!

Comment

I would let it go. I LOVE broccoli, but cold in a salad makes me gag, too. The combining smells & texture...totally sets off a gag reflex. I am on the kids' side on this one.

Comment

I want lunch at your house...sounds good to me!

Comment

My dckids are all 'separatists' ~ they won't eat things that are mixed together. Even spaghetti and meatballs are a challenge around here!

Though I have to say, mine LOVE broccoli. As long as there is dip for it

Comment

my own children don't eat any kind of pasta salade (only ceasar and garden) so I totally understand the kids not wanting it, but *I* love pasta salade. Broccoli in my house has to be cooked, with a little bit of butter and salt, hmmm the kids love that.

Comment

Feeding the kids is one of the things I dread, everyone doesn't like at least one thing on their plate but want seconds of a certain thing, they eat whats on their plate or they wait till snack. They are told they will not get something special, I incorporate veggies, fruits and a sandwich of some sort. It drives me crazy how picky kids are today if I was like this when I was little I would have been hungry a lot.

Comment

If they are really adamant about not wanting to try it, let em lick it...

Food is very intimate...it goes into your body. On the one hand, we tell children "don't let anyone touch you in a way you don't like..." then, we say "oh, but eat this.."

Comment

Broccoli is a hard one. Our food program in this state actually has a goal of TWO bites of a refusal food! This surprised the heck out of me! I always went with one, also....

For the raw broccoli I'd suggest maybe trying a creamy or cheesy dip? If they still refuse it, give up and keep re-offering it every couple of weeks. Eventually it won't be "new" any more. Also, broccoli cheese soup is a good introductory food for broccoli.

Broccoli is just one of "THOSE" foods.

Comment

Next time try it by itself and call it "Trees" - and a little ranch dressing on the side if they want to dunk their trees a bit.

(Cauliflower is brains!) ::

Comment

We had pasta salad (with tri-color wagon-wheels!) Friday, half of them gobbled it up...the others couldn't get their heads around cold pasta .

Come on, parents, expose your kids to other foods besides chicken!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
                          We had pasta salad (with tri-color wagon-wheels!) Friday, half of them gobbled it up...the others couldn't get their heads around cold pasta .

Come on, parents, expose your kids to other foods besides chicken!!
                          Chicken nuggets.

Comment

The broccoli was cooked, I knew it would be even worse if it was raw!

I dread feeding the chipmunk girl. EVERY DAY she'll put a bite in her mouth and let it sit in her cheek for hours if I let her. Even if it's something she likes. It doesn't matter the texture, flavor, cooked/raw, color-it just gets shoved to the side of her mouth and she'll sit there and whine. When I encourage her to chew it up, she whines more and gags herself.

Does anyone know how to deal with this behavior? She's almost 3 and has been doing it for over a year. Mom says she does it at home, too. Do I let her sit there until she chews it up or do I swipe it onto her tongue with my finger? Usually when I do the swipe over it makes her really mad and she'll for sure gag and choke herself. I don't want to get her in the habit of spitting things out. The other kids don't need to learn that, either!

Comment

Originally posted by littlemommy View Post
                              I can always tell lunchtime battles are worse on Monday. I'm sure these kids live on processed and fast food all weekend, so of course they aren't going to want a home cooked meal with fresh veggies from scratch!
                              i agree one time i had a child that wouldnt eat anything i would make. I always make nice big meals one day it was baked chicken breast green beans and peaches child would not eat even a bite. I asked him what he ate at home and he proceeded to tell me mommy makes taco bell, mc donalds, and burger king, i told him mommys not making that what does she cook at home he said corn dogs... all processed foods and these people wonder why america is fat!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X