Babies and Gravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies and Gravity

Do you think that babies who have never been introduced to swings are better able to self soothe?

A friend of mine has a baby who is now over a year old, but spent the first 8 months of life sleeping in an infant swing (yes, I know). She still requires rocking and bouncing in order to settle down, even though she walks.

My own children loved their swings as babies (though they never slept in them), and always wanted to be rocked to sleep.

Now I've got two babies here, neither of which do swings at home. They spend their days here in the bumbo, bouncer w/ toy bar, baby gym on the floor, or just lying and playing on the blanket. They're both great and neither require rocking or bouncing to soothe them, and they both just go to sleep after being put down.

Do you think the difference is the lack of swinging? Are babies who get lots of "gravity" time better off in the long run?

Absolutely better to keep them from getting overattached to something that you cannot do long term. Some kids do just love motion and some moms love the process of rocking their babies. I wouldn't think there is just one thing that makes babies this or that but in general, it is best in the long run to wean off the constant motion. You are lucky to have both babies that are happy with floor play.... A LOT of babies are not like that.

Comment

Yes. Yes.... and Yes.
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
        Do you think that babies who have never been introduced to swings are better able to self soothe?

A friend of mine has a baby who is now over a year old, but spent the first 8 months of life sleeping in an infant swing (yes, I know). She still requires rocking and bouncing in order to settle down, even though she walks.

My own children loved their swings as babies (though they never slept in them), and always wanted to be rocked to sleep.

Now I've got two babies here, neither of which do swings at home. They spend their days here in the bumbo, bouncer w/ toy bar, baby gym on the floor, or just lying and playing on the blanket. They're both great and neither require rocking or bouncing to soothe them, and they both just go to sleep after being put down.

Do you think the difference is the lack of swinging? Are babies who get lots of "gravity" time better off in the long run?

I think some babies require the swinging/bouncing. Like my new colicky daycare baby. It is a requirement or he screams bloody murder. The other babies I have had in daycare (besides my screamer who is now almost 2), have been easy going babies who didnt' care really where they were sat down as long as their scenery changed from time to time. All babies are different. All babies needs are going to vary. I think that if a baby that doesn't REQUIRE the bouncing and rocking and swinging gets all of those things may struggle a bit more with gravity. But believe me, if I could get my new dcbaby to allow some gravity, it would make my life so much easier!

Comment

Big old yes from me!! I have one who gets lots of floor time and is put asleep awake and a drop in the same age who is a swing/carseat/device baby. The first is almost crawling, loves toys, is happy all the time and naps like a dream. The second can't sit, can't be put down and is so....well....sad...all of the time.

Comment

My own daughter never liked her swing much. She would tolerate it for 10-20 minutes and that was it. She did need to be bounced and rocked to sleep though until around 8 months when she refused that as well. Worst sleeper ever but happy all day long and very independant.

I'm of the idea that all children are different and you just do what works. I think it's more personality dependant than parenting dependant at that age.

Comment

Many children love a rocking motion. My last daughter LOVED to be rocked before bedtime. But I made sure to ALWAYS put her in her crib before she fell asleep. Lots of love with Mommy...but BED is where we actually fall sleep.

My doctor once asked me how I would feel to fall asleep in one place and then find myself waking up later in a different place? Talk about panicked! Babies are no different. If they fall asleep in Mommy's arms, then they want to wake up the same way! Awakening in the crib can be scary. BUT...if they fall asleep there....it's a comfortable, known place, not scary at all. If they wake, they will often roll over, know where they are and fall back to sleep again.

I had never thought about it that way before. All I know is she was SOOOO easy to put to bed and sleep right through the night.

The best of both worlds. Lots of rocking and happy to be in her own bed.

Comment

Working...
              X