Getting Involved In Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Involved In Politics

Do you get involved in local politics or do you keep quiet about your preferences to avoid alienating your families? I debated this for a few weeks, but have jumped in with both feet now. Huge yard sign, facebook friend, and I plan to do whatever I can to see this guy elected---or more to the point--to see the incumbent ousted.

It's a small place and connections are everywhere. I'm a bit concerned that someone will be upset, but it's important to me and I finally decided to go with my conscience and let the others do what they need to do.

As long as your not talking/preaching to them about it or handing them pamphlets at the door I don't see a problem with it

I've never put a sign on my lawn but would do it if I felt that strongly for a candidate. I guess I might be worried if the parents started talking to me about it though. I wouldn't want to get into an arguement about it

Comment

One of my mom's is the one that got me involved, indirectly. I have no idea about the others, but I don't plan on preaching. ;-) I dreamed last night that one of the mom's was a cousin to the incumbent. It's that kind of town, so it may have been a premonition.

Comment

As long as you don't talk to parents about your political beliefs, I think you're fine.

It's fairly obvious that I'm a liberal, just by looking at my bookshelf. I have liberal celebrity biographies, obviously gay-rights-friendly books/broadway booklets, the list goes on. No one has said a thing about it. I figure it's my house and if anyone sees anything that is offensive to them then my daycare isn't for them, regardless of the fact that my politcal beliefs have nothing to do with the quality of care I provide. I'm not going to hide who I am, but I'm not going to outright try to push my beliefs on people either.

I once made the mistake of telling a student's parent (when I was teaching elementary school) who I voted for for president a while back (I think it was the 2004 election?). She flat out asked me and I felt cornered so I answered. Well she blew up at me and started preaching about how wrong my decision was and spent the rest of the field trip we were on saying just rude comments to me. Ugh. Never made that mistake again.

If it's just signs and whatever, I wouldn't worry about it. If people are that hard-up that they can't trust you to watch their children based on who you want elected, then you don't really want them anyway. We all have different opinions and that's OK!

Comment

I don't go out of my way to share my beliefs, (politics, religion, child rearing, whatever) but I don't hide them either.

The biggest, most important thing I teach is respect and acceptance. I expect it from not only the kids, but the adults as well.

If they don't like that, then this isn't the place for them.

Comment

Working...
          X