Plexiglass on Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexiglass on Windows

I live in an old house, and the windows in the playroom come almost to the floor. The glass is original wavy glass and probably brittle. Now that my kids are mobile and throwing, I'm going to put plexiglass over them tomorrow. I just wondered if anyone else did this and how you put it on. I will have to screw them onto the frames of the window I think. Is this the best way?

I have never done it myself but I think it sounds like a great idea. What i would do is make sure there is a gap between the two pieces of glass (actual and plexi). Maybe screw the plexy onto the trim around the window.

Im thinking depending on what is thrown and how hard.... the plexy glass will bend a little when hit. So leaving a gap between the two will prevent the plexy from bending and hitting the actual window.

Comment

Good point. The way these old windows are designed, I think that the only way it can be done is by leaving a bit of a gap.

Comment

find a way to frame the Plexiglas in wood...putting screws through Plexiglas can break it.

Comment

Drill holes for screws first.

Comment

I'm hoping to sweet talk the guys at the lumber yard into putting the holes in for me. One of the benefits of a small town. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
              I live in an old house, and the windows in the playroom come almost to the floor. The glass is original wavy glass and probably brittle. Now that my kids are mobile and throwing, I'm going to put plexiglass over them tomorrow. I just wondered if anyone else did this and how you put it on. I will have to screw them onto the frames of the window I think. Is this the best way?
              My DH suggested these. Same concept you have but someone else did all the work. They are insulating, easy to install (magnetic) and flexible so I assume very tough! Also they are are UV protectant, where normal plexiglass is not.

I don't know about the cost because I don't know the size you need, but I would think they would be a tax write off as well as safe and secure since they have the intended purpose you need.

Comment

Working...
              X