Spitting UP.....What's Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitting UP.....What's Normal?

So I have a 6.5 month old that I feel has always spit up more than what is considered "normal". My own two never spit up like this one does.

For example she will have 2-3 good burps after her bottle and I will continue to hold her and she will still be spitting up. Sometimes an hour after her bottle she will be playing on her mat and will have spit-up all over her face???

I just gave her a bottle and she burped well, next thing I know she spit-up and it flew out all over the floor. I think she has some sort of stomach issue.

I hold her in such a way as to not put pressure on her tummy, but now what? I want to talk to mom tonight.

That doesn't sound normal.

Comment

Do you know how is she doing for weight gaining? What does she drink (BF, Regular formula, soy...)?

My daughter had major issues. She wasn't gaining wait well, she went from 40th down to 6th percentile. She spit up quite a bit, and after talking to other people, I realized it was A LOT. Ended up that not only was she lactose intolerant, but she also had GERD (or Acid Reflux Disease).

Bring it up with mom, maybe document a few days, so mom can bring accurate info to dr. Not a big deal really, and an easy fix. With my dd we switched to soy formula and she was on something like prilosec for a while.

EDIT NOTE: I'm not saying that is what is wrong with this little one, I'm only offering what was wrong with my dd. It's something to look into.
      Last edited by GretasLittleFriends; 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM. Reason: Not diagnosing. :)
      Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.

Comment

There is a huge range for normal spit up. Is she happy, content, sleep well & gaining well? Then there is most likely not an issue, nor would the doctor do anything....depending on the amounts.

I have have a couple reflux babies, and a silent reflux baby, and a couple that just spit up a lot. HOW much is she spitting up. A couple times in an amount that splatters the floor, but doesn't puddle? That doesn't seem like a lot to me. Take an ounce of milk & spill it on the kitchen floor from waist high...it looks like a TON, but really is not much to be concerned about, imo.

TO ME, too much spit up is if I have to change my shirt at least once a day, the baby's clothes a couple times a day, and go through several burp rags. My slient reflux'er did this, and they never did put her on meds because they didn't help anyway. She wouldnt eat slowly no matter the bottle, and was too impatient to sit after eating to help settle her stomach.

My severe reflux babies would spit up half their bottle at each feeding (so about 2-4oz). THAT is a lot. With meds, the spit up issues didn't so much go away, but they were much happier babies. Gained well, and all that.

Most babies do not spit up much if fed slowly, and burped well. Some babies refuse to eat nicely, and get more air. My 23mo had issues with the flouride in water. He had to have distilled water for bottles and drinking for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneluckymom View Post
          So I have a 6.5 month old that I feel has always spit up more than what is considered "normal". My own two never spit up like this one does.

For example she will have 2-3 good burps after her bottle and I will continue to hold her and she will still be spitting up. Sometimes an hour after her bottle she will be playing on her mat and will have spit-up all over her face???

I just gave her a bottle and she burped well, next thing I know she spit-up and it flew out all over the floor. I think she has some sort of stomach issue.

I hold her in such a way as to not put pressure on her tummy, but now what? I want to talk to mom tonight.
          My first use to projectile spit up all over the place doc use to tell me it was reflux and he would outgrow it no meds needed well when I had my 3rd she started to do it in the hosptial told them to give me soy and she never did it again my 1st should of been on soy too most likely but I was a first time mom and went on what the doctor said.

Comment

sounds like a bit of reflux - but unless they are not gaining weight or are in pain they generally don't do much about it. They can try zantac but that doesn't work all that great in my experience. Keeping them slightly upright for an hour after they eat is supposed to help but even then many will still spit up afterwards.
            My daughter was a bad refluxer - we saw a pedi GI for the first year of her life, I never thought it would get better but she finally outgrew it at about 10-11 months!

Comment

She is gaining weight fine. But she is very impatient with the bottle. Yes, I have had to change her clothes do to the spitting up, but usually I try to save her clothes and have the burp towel handy. I talked to a friend who's son also had issues with GERD and she said he just had to outgrow it.

I would have thought mom would have have seen this on the weekends with the baby?

Comment

I would switch to a smaller hole nipple, and do half feeds twice as often. See if that helps.

Comment

Is she being fed too often? My daughter did this for quite a while and finally I made the connection that I needed to wait an extra 1/2 hour to an hour before the next feed. Then she was able to hold it down. She was a bit younger than 6.5 months though...

Comment

I have a little one in the day care right now that has had problems with it since birth. She's 6 months now and it has gotten better, though not completely gone. She has grown normally, no issues with weight, just seems no matter what we try, she's going to spit up.

I was talking with my mom about it and she said my baby brother was the same way. Once he started sitting up on his own it made a big difference. The doctor attributed it to his stomach muscles getting stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bear View Post
                      I have a little one in the day care right now that has had problems with it since birth. She's 6 months now and it has gotten better, though not completely gone. She has grown normally, no issues with weight, just seems no matter what we try, she's going to spit up.

I was talking with my mom about it and she said my baby brother was the same way. Once he started sitting up on his own it made a big difference. The doctor attributed it to his stomach muscles getting stronger.
                      Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneluckymom View Post

I have a baby in my care who does the exact same thing. His pedi apparently told his mom that it's normal; he called him a "happy spitter". He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. He's happy, eats and sleeps well, etc.

Comment

I agree t here is a huge range. One of my twins spit up like crazy all day long. The doctor said as long as she was gaining and happy (not in pain from the spitup), it was a laundry problem, not a medical one. I have a 6.5 month old now who spits up as much as you say. He's happy, gaining, huge sweet baby. Yes, it's annoying, but it's not a medical issue.

Comment

Agree with all the others. I had a severe reflux kid, and she was miserable. They had to put her on medication to help but it didn't help with the spitting up, she was just happier. When she "spit up" it was a projectile vomit and it was a good 4 oz worth multiple times a day.

I've had happy spitters too, who spit up but without discomfort. As long as the baby is happy and gaining the doctors aren't going to be concerned. Spit happens!

Comment

Working...
                            X