4 Kids (Mostly a Rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grandmom View Post
    I tell parents in the initial interview: Your children will naturally test the boundaries when you are here because they want to know who's in charge when both you and I are here. You are of course, welcome to discipline. However, I let them know that I am in charge when they are at my home.

Then, I do it. I talk sternly and tell them in front of the parents, these are not your things. Please do not touch them. I believe parents look to us for modeling. And part of our job is modeling for them how to parent.

Good luck.
    Yes... I like this. I might add something like this into my discipline section of my parent handbook and cover this aspect during the interview as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TGT09 View Post
      I've also thought about sending home a refresher of my current handbook. How often does everyone send out a handbook? Once or twice a year? I have my parents read my handbook on my website and then initial in the contract that they've been on there and read it. I'm starting to quickly realize that not many of them actually read it. I thought about printing it out and sending it home again and back with a signature. Not that that will resolve matters because they still may not read it but it might help.
      I also have it on my website but I found that even though it costs me more money to have it printed, giving them a copy works best. I give them each a copy and they sign the contract which has a section at the bottom that reads

"By signing this contract I, the parent/guardian, indicate that I have read, understand and agree to follow the provider’s contract and policies as stipulated in the (daycare name) Policy Handbook Parent’s Guide and I understand that this is a legal and binding contract between me and (Provider name) of (daycare name)."

This just makes everything easier for me. I was thinking about changing the contract, however, because as of now it's a short legal term version of my handbook and I think I will just remove everything except the payment and fee's things, attendance and termination procedure to make tha contract shorter. That should still leave my bases covered right?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've starting becoming more strict when she's around...I think maybe it took her aback at first that I was disciplining, who knows. I've noticed even just in the past week or so, she backs me up with whatever I'm saying.

She still doesn't go out of her way to make sure it's followed through but at least she's making a step towards it.

I have also made the "flower rug" by the front door the area that no one is allowed to leave once upstairs. It's a huge sunflower so the kids think it's cool and are beginning to understand that they can't leave it to run around or do whatever.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've starting becoming more strict when she's around...I think maybe it took her aback at first that I was disciplining, who knows. I've noticed even just in the past week or so, she backs me up with whatever I'm saying.

She still doesn't go out of her way to make sure it's followed through but at least she's making a step towards it.

I have also made the "flower rug" by the front door the area that no one is allowed to leave once upstairs. It's a huge sunflower so the kids think it's cool and are beginning to understand that they can't leave it to run around or do whatever.
          I sooooo need a flower rug!!! This is a great idea and I am going to look for a special rug to put in my entryway. This is why I love this site so much.

Comment

Misol, do you have Joann Fabrics in VA? I know they have some super cute ladybug and frog ones. :-)

It just dawned on me one day to say "stay on the rug!" Ha!

Comment

Misol, do you have Joann Fabrics in VA? I know they have some super cute ladybug and frog ones. :-)

It just dawned on me one day to say "stay on the rug!" Ha!
              Sure do! I'll check them out this weekend. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Working...
              X