Positional Asphyxia - I Never Knew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by My Daycare View Post
    An article like the following does not help! Articles like this are why people "never knew."

http://newbornbaby.com.au/newborn/ca...baby-cat-naps/

Ugh

Did you catch the "From The No-Cry Nap Solution: Guaranteed Gentle Ways to Solve All Your Nap time Problems"

Best way to start your course in "no cry" parenting is to do the "no cry" sleep solution. Then you can do the "no cry" discipline and the "no cry" eating and the "no cry" get to day care and the "no cry" battery operated toy play and .... what else am I missing?
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post

Ugh

Did you catch the "From The No-Cry Nap Solution: Guaranteed Gentle Ways to Solve All Your Nap time Problems"

Best way to start your course in "no cry" parenting is to do the "no cry" sleep solution. Then you can do the "no cry" discipline and the "no cry" eating and the "no cry" get to day care and the "no cry" battery operated toy play and .... what else am I missing?
      I wish we didn't have to feel guilty or explain ourselves for letting a baby talk.

Wow. I just saw that book on Amazon. It has 4.5 stars.

Comment

Originally posted by My Daycare View Post
        I wish we didn't have to feel guilty or explain ourselves for letting a baby talk.

Wow. I just saw that book on Amazon. It has 4.5 stars.

whahahahahahahaha

::::::::::::::::

I'm SO good

Look at the NO CRY books

I'm in the WRONG bizness

I blew it on the "no cry" potty training and "no cry" separation anxiety
        Last edited by nannyde; 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/index.html

Look at the NO CRY books

I'm in the WRONG bizness

I blew it on the "no cry" potty training and "no cry" separation anxiety

Eh, I like a little science fiction every now and again myself.

I can't wait to see her kids on TMZ or The Dirty one day.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
            Eh, I like a little science fiction every now and again myself.

I can't wait to see her kids on TMZ or The Dirty one day.
            ::

I just spoke with a family where the baby sleeps every day and night in a bassinet swing.... all daytime and all night time sleeping. Never spent a night in a crib in its life.

I told the Mom that the baby would likely be hoarse from crying when she was faced with NO motion sleep. She was like: I told her that I could NOT allow that and that we aren't allowed to rock the child while sleeping. We can rock them TO sleep but once they fall asleep they must be put to bed.

I don't do rock to sleep anyway so bottom line would be a kid who would be crying a lot during nap. Only way to get them used to it is to just do it.

Getting a baby to sleep lying still on a firm surface is going to result in a LOT of crying. There's no "easing" into it. It's litterally one extreme to the other. The babies little brain doesn't know calm still sleep. All the motion sleep and consequent "cat napping" DOES change the brain... I believe. I really wonder if there is a correlation to when cheap battery swinging sleep became available and the rise of ADD, ADHD, etc.

When I started doing care there were just crank swings... then battery swings but they were EXPENSIVE to run. Once rechargeable batteries became available I started seeing a dramatic increase in swing motion addicted babies.

Now there's every possible version of swings from sit up to lay down... back and forth... side to side. There's NO training about using them ONLY when the kid is awake and you are within sight.

Comment

::

I really wonder if there is a correlation to when cheap battery swinging sleep became available and the rise of ADD, ADHD, etc.

That part I really don't know. My DS and I both have ADD/ADHD respectively but neither of us had swings.

I did not have one due to poverty but my son did not have one due to education.

A leading researcher in SIDS TOLD me not to use one. He said he NEEDED to have clear results on the "Back to Sleep" study so DS was ONLY to sleep flat, on his back, on a firm surface. He was on monitoring equipment 24/7.

He said he would exclude us from the study otherwise. He obviously suspected SOMETHING. Maybe we will read about it in another 20 years....:confused:
              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by harperluu View Post
                Another good reason to rouse an infant from their car seat is to verify the infant is in good condition when they arrive. If a baby has been mistreated or shaken at home, they may already be displaying the effects of their injuries.

I get babies out of their car seats and wake them in front of their parents and before they leave. I let them know I'll be doing this during the initial interview.
                Great idea, I will be practising this from now on.

Comment

Bumping back up to help answer a question from another thread (this morning) relating to infant positional asphyxiation.

It is a lot of information to repost with such limited time this morning, please forgive the slight sidestep of etiquette.

Comment

Originally posted by Logged out View Post
                    I am a somewhat new member to this forum. I have been working with young children for a little over ten years (five of them as a family child care provider) and have three of my own children. I have a Bachelor's degree in early childhood education and have completed 100's of hours of state mandated training over the years, included courses specifically about SIDS and infant safety. Never once in all of my years did I ever hear the phrase "positional asphyxia." I have always known to put infants on their backs to sleep and to keep blankets, pillows, etc. out of the cribs. BUT if a parent brought a sleeping baby in the car seat in the morning, I never knew that letting the child finish his/her nap in the car seat was dangerous. Also, every baby I have ever taken care of has fallen asleep in the swing at some point. My regulations say, "Sleeping arrangements for infants require that the infant be placed on his or her back to sleep, unless medical information is presented to the provider by the parent that shows that arrangement is inappropriate for that child." When I placed infants down for their naps it was always face-up in a crib with no blankets, but all along they were in danger because I allowed them to sleep in their carriers and in the swing. It just goes to show that even if you have all kinds of specialized training and experience, you don't know everything. I thank heavens that none of the precious babies I have been entrusted to care for have been hurt by my ignorance. I now know and will be able to share this information with parents as well.
                    It isn't your ignorance, this is just not talked about enough. I think they should make sure parents read info like this prior to leaving the hospital with an infant! I never knew this either and I used to put my son in his swing for naps all the time when he was little or worse yet, I would put him in it while I went back to bed if I had to get up for work shortly! At least when he was napping I was awake! Thank God nothing happened to any of us who have done this!

Comment

Working...
                    X